Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2009, 03:57   #481
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
WOW!!! A 56 studebaker president! Haven't seen this model here before!
P.S: Its got commander wheelcaps!
Well sorry to reply to this post its over a year old now but since i saw no replies to it i decided to reply.
The Wheelcovers that are there on this and the pune car are the standard wheelcovers which were given with the cars.Both President and Commander had the same ones.However there where full wheel covers available but those where accesories sold by studebaker.
Old 11th December 2009, 13:01   #482
Senior - BHPian

This is a Buick 1947 Super convertible, came from Kerala, restored in Mumbai, very nicely done. Believed to have been a Travancore Royal family car.
Kasli can send pictures of the car as found.
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-buick-super-convertible.jpg  

Old 27th December 2009, 09:06   #483
Distinguished - BHPian

My folks spotted this Pontiac, Plymouth and Chevy on display at a palace hotel in Jaipur.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-001.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-002.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-003.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-004.jpg
Old 27th December 2009, 13:12   #484
Senior - BHPian

Nice cars do tell which hotel they can be seen at !
Old 27th December 2009, 13:59   #485
Senior - BHPian

Any idea who owns these cars?
Old 5th January 2010, 10:35   #486
Senior - BHPian

Attaching a picture taken from Jet Wings January 2010 issue from the article " How the kings lived". An exhibition on that subject is currently on at London's Victoria and Albert Museum.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-magazine-1.jpg  

Old 6th January 2010, 12:27   #487
Senior - BHPian

Here is an advertisement for a Rolls Phantom ex-Baroda. Maybe this has come up before, not sure and too many pages to check.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-magazine-2.jpg  

Old 10th January 2010, 16:31   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is an advertisement for a Rolls Phantom ex-Baroda. Maybe this has come up before, not sure and too many pages to check.
Cheers harit
N.Whitaker & Steve Stuckey's book on the Phantom II & Phantom III shows the first owner as Sayaji Rao III, (1863-1939) 11th Raja & Gaekwad of Baroda, not his son Pratap Singh, but it would be interesting to see the order card, may be it was a gift to his son. The chassis number is 70WJ and the body is not original. It is a copy of the Barker and it was built by Josep Vert of Spain and fitted on 06/05/1967. I know it is claimed to be original, but my source is Josep Vert himself.
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2010, 06:03   #489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
N.Whitaker & Steve Stuckey's book on the Phantom II & Phantom III shows the first owner as Sayaji Rao III, (1863-1939) 11th Raja & Gaekwad of Baroda, not his son Pratap Singh, but it would be interesting to see the order card, may be it was a gift to his son. The chassis number is 70WJ and the body is not original. It is a copy of the Barker and it was built by Josep Vert of Spain and fitted on 06/05/1967. I know it is claimed to be original, but my source is Josep Vert himself.
Andre, could you please oblige with a picture of the car with the original body ? Cheers
Old 12th January 2010, 09:59   #490
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Of the Rolls' I really like is this one, a 1925 Phantom I by Barker. While some suggest it was built for Maharajah Ganga Singh of Bikaner for hunts some say it may be for Jodhpur. It looked prettier in the previous solour which was either dark blue or black (not sure)

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rollsroycephantomibarkerhuntingcar_1.jpg

Notice the rear had a special single seater, possibly for the Maharajah
Old 13th January 2010, 19:16   #491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is a Buick 1947 Super convertible, came from Kerala, restored in Mumbai, very nicely done. Believed to have been a Travancore Royal family car.
Kasli can send pictures of the car as found.
Well, Kasli did send the pictures of the car as found and requested me to put them up. Here they come. You can see that the restoration is quite good, looking at the state of this car as found.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-buick-super-conv-1jpg.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-buick-super-conv-2.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-buick-super-conv-3.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 13th January 2010 at 19:18.
Old 13th January 2010, 19:59   #492
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics and a great restoration for sure.

There are some other cars visible in the picture, ahead of teh buick looks like tehre is a Studebaker but the car behind looks more interesting , any idea what is was.

Also what is the story with these cars, all good cars, lying in that condition together.
Old 9th February 2010, 22:53   #493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Attached are two interesting photographs (courtesy of TopFoto.uk)

Mahatma Gandhi with the Raja of Kalakankar (circa 1929) Buick ?
Came back to a post of 2008.
A friend of mine was recently offered this 'original' photo, without the watermark. He looked at it closely and discovered that the Mahatma was inserted, the photo is a fake! Always closely examine photos when offered, I always carry a magnifying glass and an eyeglass. He got it for 1/10th of what was demanded.
I told Karl about this, he remembered this picture and found the post for me.

Be careful. Cheers harit
Old 9th February 2010, 23:02   #494
Senior - BHPian

Does that mean its just so called trick photography.Coz i saw this same pic at a picture exhibition about Mahatma here.It had a caption "mahatma with ruler of Kalakankar,1929".
Old 13th February 2010, 20:07   #495
Distinguished - BHPian

A 'heritage taxi' in Udaipur, a mid 30s Chevy

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-taxi01.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-taxi02.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-taxi03.jpg

Most Viewed