Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2010, 23:34   #511
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It could well be a Chrysler too as they used this same method on their cars too.
Could be. The bumpers are unlike Caddy. At the same time the 36 Chrysler has a band at the waistline that runs forward along the bonnet, crossing the grill and forming a chrome band across it. The 37 Chrysler had a single windscreen.

I thought the other car is a Desoto but those headlamps are unlike one.
Old 9th March 2010, 01:06   #512
BHPian

Gurus, hope I ain't stepping over - but IMHO that's definitely a GM product - 36-37 Buick, but most probably a Chevy. What was the car in the Happydent ad, folks?

And the white one is certainly a DeSoto, DKG, let the grille rule over the headlights!!
Old 9th March 2010, 09:52   #513
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Gurus, hope I ain't stepping over - but IMHO that's definitely a GM product - 36-37 Buick, but most probably a Chevy. What was the car in the Happydent ad, folks?

And the white one is certainly a DeSoto, DKG, let the grille rule over the headlights!!
The reason why I was not certain its a Caddy is because those bumpers are quite unlike ones found on the 36 Caddy. Like you say it could be a 36 Buick as the bumper on 35's was different and the grill changed for 37

Confusing cars !

Actually its looking more like a 36 Chevy now that you mention Prabal so much for knowing about Caddy's. You know sad part is we don't get to see these cars on the streets anymore to pick on subtle details. Its taken me years to understand the tiny details that help identifying Packards and that too I am comfy on a few years, that's all. For earlier cars before 1930 or later than 1946 I would invariably have to go back to books!

Its amazing how some people have a encyclopedic knowledge of several marques of cars.

Last edited by DKG : 9th March 2010 at 10:01.
Old 9th March 2010, 09:58   #514
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
What was the car in the Happydent ad, folks?
That was a 1934/5 Buick tourer, sporting a most unique headlamp arrangement. The car is part of a Bombay collection, AP regd.
Old 9th March 2010, 10:33   #515
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
That was a 1934/5 Buick tourer, sporting a most unique headlamp arrangement. The car is part of a Bombay collection, AP regd.
The Happy Dent car is a 1934 Buick tourer got from Hyderabad and was at one time the property of DKG's uncle. Now resides in a Mumbai collection, and it is NOT mine.

The green car is the Maharaja's garage looks more like a 1937/38 Buick.
Old 9th March 2010, 13:58   #516
Senior - BHPian

Pictures of Happy Dent Ex DKG uncle car please
Old 9th March 2010, 14:20   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Pictures of Happy Dent Ex DKG uncle car please
Here you go

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/480688-post146.html
Old 12th March 2010, 16:25   #518
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Quite certain, not Gondal

Cheers harit
Let the picture do the talking..
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-gondal.jpg  

Old 12th March 2010, 16:57   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Bug View Post
Let the picture do the talking..
Sirji, do you think that these are the same cars? Well, they are not. The Gondal car shown by you is a Packard, the picture in the Maharaja's garage is a 1937/38 Buick.
The comparison of the cars is slightly difficult, but the cars differ in the bumper and windshield, one piece vs two piece.
Then the Buick has the distinctive round monogram on the left side on the grill.
And I have been to Gondals place, he has rolling shutters.
And his cars are almost all Gujrat registered, specially the older ones. These have Rajasthan registration.
And though Gondal may have a Jeep, I am not aware of such a Dodge/Plymouth.

True, these cars appear very much alike in these photos, anyone could make the same assumptions too.
Now to find where this picture was taken (post 505).

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 12th March 2010 at 17:00.
Old 17th March 2010, 17:57   #520
BHPian

Quote:
Came back to a post of 2008.
A friend of mine was recently offered this 'original' photo, without the watermark. He looked at it closely and discovered that the Mahatma was inserted, the photo is a fake! Always closely examine photos when offered, I always carry a magnifying glass and an eyeglass. He got it for 1/10th of what was demanded.
I told Karl about this, he remembered this picture and found the post for me.
Very interesting post about Kalakankar. My wife belongs to this old princely state - her grandfather migrated there from Bareilly to teach Sanskrit to the members of the royal family there. The royal family of Kalankankar was a very progressive one and one of the royals married Stalin's daughter, Svetlana. After his untimely passing away, she returned to Russia and eventually settled in the United States. There is a Svetlana hospital in Kalakankar. Raja Dinesh Singh, the Raja of Kalakankar was India's foreign minister, as also commerce minister. I visit the place infrequently and last time around, I rummaged in the almirahs of my wife's old house for photos, particularly of cars! Unfortunately, I didn't find any; just a nice one of a relative and his wife on an unidentified motorbike. One of our distinguished experts on vintage cars also has a Kalakankar connection; he might not like his name to be mentioned here

Last edited by tonrag : 17th March 2010 at 18:03.
Old 22nd March 2010, 12:01   #521
Team-BHP Support

Maharajah of Udaipur and his Rolls?

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-3291347.jpg

Image source - Picasa Web Albums - mensioranne - Maharajah de ...
Old 6th April 2010, 15:44   #522
Senior - BHPian

Hi!
Have a look at this link. This RR PI with a body by Jonckheere is a monster car, pompous, huge, and in my opinion ugly. But it does have huge presence and makes a statement. I had seen pictures of this car in the past, about 20 odd? years ago when she was rescued from a scrapyard in golden colour. Just see those big round doors.
But what was never mentioned before, or atleast I do not remember is that there was a Nanpara connection. That would make it among the most pompous cars of Maharajas of India, among the other fancy cars. But was this ever in India?
Looking to comments from our stalwarts.
If you read the story, there is a mention that the Raja won an award at a concourse show in Riviera. The Raja of Mandi is also supposed to have won an event in his Rolls now with Bhogilal at a show in Monaco.

Rolls-Royce Phantom I Jonckheere Coupe - Supercars.net

Cheers harit
Old 6th April 2010, 15:57   #523
Team-BHP Support

I am assuming that Induspus in this link Maharaja car is most likely a mistake.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-6.jpg

The picture dates back to 1963

The caption says: - #6-William Brewster's First Junior winning 1935 Duesenberg attracted a great deal of attention at Hershey. The car has an English Gurney-Nutting Roadster fitted, and was originally owned by the Maharaja of Induspus.

Which car could this be?
Old 6th April 2010, 16:53   #524
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi!
Have a look at this link. This RR PI with a body by Jonckheere is a monster car, pompous, huge, and in my opinion ugly. But it does have huge presence and makes a statement. I had seen pictures of this car in the past, about 20 odd? years ago when she was rescued from a scrapyard in golden colour. Just see those big round doors.
But what was never mentioned before, or atleast I do not remember is that there was a Nanpara connection. That would make it among the most pompous cars of Maharajas of India, among the other fancy cars. But was this ever in India?
Pompous or otherwise, I have always loved this car - never knew about the Indian connection though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am assuming that Induspus in this link Maharaja car is most likely a mistake.

Which car could this be?
That is the very famous Holkar Duesenberg.
Old 7th April 2010, 12:41   #525
Senior - BHPian

cars

Buick and Plymouth and Ford Jeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Here is a picture I found online sometime back, cannot recollect where. It shows what appear to be royal garages in Rajasthan. Can anyone identify the 2 cars?

Attachment 301630

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks