Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2011, 15:30   #661
BHPian

Re: How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Found a snap. Quite an ugly looking thing ? Link and Info attached

Cheers

IMHO, hideous would be an understatement. Looks more like a limo with a front that's been smashed in.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:20   #662
Senior - BHPian

The Lanchester was ugly no doubt, but it was a smooth well engineered car and they do get "collected". In the famous picture of the Rampur Garage one more can be seen. Early cars did have non conforming looks, just have a look at all these veteran cars, many looked like home built by a child. Slowly convention set in where you had a cowl, bonnet with radiator and two mudguards on each side, and a conformance in layout was established. Now Lanchaster was late in adopting the period conformance for the layout, but ultimately they did!

Here is an ad for models of two Maharaja Rolls Royce cars, one of Jaipur, the other of Baroda. Priced pretty steep, must be well made.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-tbhp.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 15th December 2011 at 14:22.
Old 16th December 2011, 06:03   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is an ad for models of two Maharaja Rolls Royce cars, one of Jaipur, the other of Baroda. Priced pretty steep, must be well made.

Cheers harit
This is an interesting (imaginative) ad, Harit!

I don't believe either car had anything to do with India or His Royal Highness maharajas.

The (full size) copper car if I am not mistaken was created in the 1960's / 1970's and was at Pebble Beach (1991 ?)

The wooden skiff is probably a recreation of Chassis 54PB (acutally a 1914 chassis) with Schebera-Shapiro coachwork.

They are both by The Franklin Mint; and appear regularly on EBay for $ 50 -$100+!

Last edited by travancore : 16th December 2011 at 06:06.
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:23   #664
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
This is an interesting (imaginative) ad, Harit!
I don't believe either car had anything to do with India or His Royal Highness maharajas...... The wooden skiff is probably a recreation of Chassis 54PB (acutally a 1914 chassis) with Schebera-Shapiro coachwork. They are both by The Franklin Mint; and appear regularly on EBay for $ 50 -$100+!
I just managed to photograph my model of this RR and this is the Franklin Mint model. Very strange coincidence, the model in the ad and mine are so similar models, and the pricing so steep. Refraining from further comments, one should always be careful. My model also has plants in the background.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rrb1.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rrb2.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rrb3.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rrb4.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rrb5.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rrb6.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 22nd December 2011 at 18:25.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2011, 05:42   #665
Distinguished - BHPian

Pebble Beach 2012

This ought to be interesting. Hopefully some "long-lost" / recently unseen masterpieces will show up:

source / quoted from: www.sportscardigest.com

"Featured Marques – 2012 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
Cars of the Maharajas – The Maharajas, or “great kings,” ruled states large and small throughout India and South Asia until the middle of the twentieth century. As befit their status, these rulers ordered the most luxurious automobiles available from Rolls-Royce, Daimler, Hispano-Suiza, Maybach, Bugatti, Duesenberg, Minerva and others, often specifying unique custom coachwork to accommodate their use in ceremonial processions and oversight of their vast lands."
Old 6th January 2012, 18:09   #666
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pebble Beach 2012

Quote:
This ought to be interesting. Hopefully some "long-lost" / recently unseen masterpieces will show up...........
This should be a fantastic event, I am really keen just like you to see if anything new crops up. New in terms of a discovery ofcourse.
I doubt that many of these grandiose cars were used to oversee vast lands, normally the cars were used for ceremonial occasions. Royalty also did have Jeeps, Ford A's and a host of simpler cars to move about to oversee their lands. Many states had only a few kilometers of metalled roads.
Please let us have updates when you come across.

Cheers harit
Old 10th January 2012, 11:28   #667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This ought to be interesting. Hopefully some "long-lost" / recently unseen masterpieces will show up:

source / quoted from: www.sportscardigest.com

"Featured Marques – 2012 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance
Cars of the Maharajas – The Maharajas, or “great kings,” ruled states large and small throughout India and South Asia until the middle of the twentieth century. As befit their status, these rulers ordered the most luxurious automobiles available from Rolls-Royce, Daimler, Hispano-Suiza, Maybach, Bugatti, Duesenberg, Minerva and others, often specifying unique custom coachwork to accommodate their use in ceremonial processions and oversight of their vast lands."
It would be such a great idea if Cartier was to arrange to have both the Delahaye and the RR Ghost that won best of show in their two events in Indian shipped and displayed in this years Cas of the Maharajas class.

Other interesting cars that would be great would be the Pratabgarh Lancester, the polished aluminum RR Phantom, The star of India and some of the other excellently restored car with royal proveance still in India,
Old 11th January 2012, 02:05   #668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It would be such a great idea if Cartier was to arrange to have both the Delahaye and the RR Ghost that won best of show in their two events in Indian shipped and displayed in this years Cas of the Maharajas class.

Other interesting cars that would be great would be the Pratabgarh Lancester, the polished aluminum RR Phantom, The star of India and some of the other excellently restored car with royal proveance still in India,
Wouldn't send them all on the same ship though (just kidding!).

Actually I think this is a great idea. Also expect to see the Jaipur Bentley 6.5 liter, since Clare Hay had indicated on the Bentley thread that they were trying to get the car ready in time for PB 2012.
Old 11th January 2012, 09:39   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wouldn't send them all on the same ship though (just kidding!).

Actually I think this is a great idea. Also expect to see the Jaipur Bentley 6.5 liter, since Clare Hay had indicated on the Bentley thread that they were trying to get the car ready in time for PB 2012.
Someone really should speak to Cartier about this.

And imagine if General Lyons would bring both the Hyderabad and the Holkar Duesnebeergs it would become mandatory for us to visit the event.....we can even have a T - BHP meat over there.
Old 13th January 2012, 15:36   #670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It would be such a great idea if Cartier was to arrange to have both the Delahaye and the RR Ghost that won best of show in their two events in Indian shipped and displayed in this years Cars of the Maharajas class.

Quote:
......expect to see the Jaipur Bentley 6.5 liter, since Clare Hay had indicated on the Bentley thread that they were trying to get the car ready in time for PB 2012.
Since we are discussing ideas and wishes, just a few points.
I doubt Cartier would involve themselves to ship cars to PB, it is a different and in a limited way a competing event.
The cars have to be brought up to certain expected standards, lots of work and investment to be done.
One will have to involve himself with a motoring club in India to obtain a carnet.
I am not sure if cars once entered in PB under any category are eligible for another entry for another category. The Lanchester has already been present, afaik. The Rewa Daimler is another fantastic car, so is the other Delahaye now in USA, Mysore RR, but are they eligible having taken part before?
Maybe the Swan car can go, it was built for a Scot, but went from Nabha.

Ideally, PB could visit India to select cars for future events, and discuss with owners to get cars restored a level that is acceptable at PB. Here some sponsorship could be thought of. For example, VW could consider sponsoring a Bentley, or BMW sponsoring a RR. Maybe some corporates can be interested to sponsor some car, and work out a deal to mutual benefit. Unfortunately marques like Packard, Reo, Graham have shut down. But then PB does not come to you, you go to PB.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 13th January 2012 at 15:42.
Old 15th January 2012, 11:11   #671
Senior - BHPian

Actually PB invites you to come, you cant go to PB without being invited first.
Old 15th January 2012, 14:37   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif
Actually PB invites you to come, you cant go to PB without being invited first.
Agree with Wasif as they track a lot of application which are scrutinised then only invitations roll
Old 20th January 2012, 17:25   #673
Senior - BHPian

Here is a Newspaper cutting from a Gujrati newspaper covering the Rajkot wedding. There were cars in the parade, I thought that more cars should have been there, maybe all are not in this article. "History on Wheels is the caption", unfortunately they did not yet manage bring back their Rolls Royce. I expected their Mercedes to be in the parade too, has anyone some more pictures?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rajkot.jpg  

Old 22nd January 2012, 21:57   #674
BHPian

Re: Maharaja of Jodhpur 19 25 Rolls Royce Boat Tailed Hunting Car.

#9LC seen here offered for sale in 1962, as far as I can see it's all black ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-9lcbarker1.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 19:04   #675

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The Lanchester was ugly no doubt, but it was a smooth well engineered car and they do get "collected". In the famous picture of the Rampur Garage one more can be seen. Early cars did have non conforming looks, just have a look at all these veteran cars, many looked like home built by a child. Slowly convention set in where you had a cowl, bonnet with radiator and two mudguards on each side, and a conformance in layout was established. Now Lanchaster was late in adopting the period conformance for the layout, but ultimately they did!
Cheers harit
Sadly, Harit, being "collected" is not a good guide to the intrinsic merits of any particular make or model but I share your views of the Lanchester, many of which, notably the 40hp, were acquired by the Indian nobility.

It should be remembered by others (since you and I already know these things!) that the early vehicles produced by the three Lanchester brothers were conceived by Frederick Lanchester from first principles and did not blindly follow contemporary convention, hence they looked different. From "different" they became to look "odd" (but I do not accept the "ugly" adjective) and Frank Lanchester had to insist that in order to maintain market share, their cars would have to look much like everyone else's.

From my personal involvements with Francis Hutton-Stott's car - he wrote the definitive biography of the marque - and other examples, I can confirm that until they were effectively "junked" by Daimler, Lanchesters were built to the highest specifications of their times and in every respect equal to RR and the other top makes. In my judgment, Dr Fred stands out as the greatest design engineer produced by the British automotive industry - remember that? - and his contributions now are greatly under-appreciated.

A bit for which I apologise but I'm seldom able to pass up an opportunity to bang the drum for LANCHESTER!

Wumpletoad.

Most Viewed