Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2012, 22:08   #691
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Mysore ? Just a guess due to elephants
Going by the architecture, Bengal / Cooch-Behar ? Just another guess as well!

Also noticed a car on the left with a fancy hood ornament - or perhaps just light and shadows playing games with my mind's eye....

Last edited by travancore : 9th April 2012 at 22:10.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 22:15   #692
Senior - BHPian

But stand corrected the image is of west bengal only or that region as if you notice very closely the louvered window panes which are seen all over the east.

There are two cars in total, One is on the left and is indeed with a huge hood ornament ( could be the gap in between the trees ) and the other a rear of a car which looks more british than american

A bust of an elephant which is in mysore but this is smaller to the one in the images of the house

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Going by the architecture, Bengal / Cooch-Behar ? Just another guess as well!

Also noticed a car on the left with a fancy hood ornament - or perhaps just light and shadows playing games with my mind's eye....
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-elephant.jpg  

Last edited by kasli : 9th April 2012 at 22:37.
Old 10th April 2012, 10:43   #693
Senior - BHPian

Seeing the posts above, someone may have seen the Cooch-Behar palace and can comment. Maybe the trees can give a clue? These may rule out Rajasthan, but what about coastal Gujrat?

Here is another building which may not have been a Palace, but maybe a princely administrative building. New India Assurance was founded in 1919.
And there are old vintage cars seen. Have a look at that water trolly, ingenius and I have never seen anything like it.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-bldg.jpg  

Old 10th April 2012, 21:38   #694

Re: VCCCI Vintage Car Fiesta Mumbai - 4th March 2012

Hi
I have a 1929 Lancia Dilambda brought back from india in the 1960 . I am looking for some parts and especially for a lancia batch and mascot. The present one which is still on the car looks rather worn out with some broken edges on the ceramic. Does anyone out there knows of one lying around somewhere? Will be pleased to have mine replaced. Many thanks

E. Moore
Old 10th April 2012, 23:38   #695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilambda1929 View Post
Hi
I have a 1929 Lancia Dilambda brought back from india in the 1960 . I am looking for some parts and especially for a lancia batch and mascot. The present one which is still on the car looks rather worn out with some broken edges on the ceramic. Does anyone out there knows of one lying around somewhere? Will be pleased to have mine replaced. Many thanks

E. Moore
Welcome to the Forum!

If you don't mind my asking - would yours be the ex-Mysore car ? Cheers

Last edited by travancore : 10th April 2012 at 23:44.
Old 10th April 2012, 23:52   #696

Yes. Very much so . My husband was in India for 6 years and I understand he started the VSCC in India. He also wrote regularly in the Statemen for the motoring page. I have stacks of articles relating to the subject.
Old 11th April 2012, 09:33   #697
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Very much so . My husband was in India for 6 years and I understand he started the VSCC in India. He also wrote regularly in the Statemen for the motoring page. I have stacks of articles relating to the subject.
Welcome aboard Mrs. Moore, a pleasure to have you with us. We do look forward to hearing more about your husband's experiences while in India, and would love to read any of the aforementioned literature you could share with us.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 10:20   #698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Hi.

Could we see some pictures of the car please ?
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 10:32   #699
Distinguished - BHPian

The Dilambda has been mentioned before in the Mysore cars , as posted by Karlosdeville.

Here is the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ja-mysore.html

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 11th April 2012 at 10:52. Reason: spellings !!
Old 11th April 2012, 16:35   #700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, it is great to have you on board. The legendary Dr. Moore had much to do with the vintage car scene in India as well as IIT-Delhi, as I understand. Was much too young to know / appreciate!
Old 11th April 2012, 17:07   #701

I will in due course go through the paper work and share it with the forum. I will get pics of the car.
Old 11th April 2012, 22:15   #702

Thanks for your posting. My husband had the most interesting period of his life in India. He thoroughly enjoyed motoring the length and breadth of India in his vintage car- the Alvis 20/25 . He took this car with him when he was commisioned by the British Govt. to help with the setting up of the IIT in New Delhi. During the 6 years he was in India, he was very active in the Vintage car movement and he helped organised many rallies every year whilst he was there. He found the Dilambda 1929 and brought this to Uk when he returned. We went to India together in the 1980s when he was invited back to IIT to receive an award . I remember meeting so many of his friends and saw a great many vintage cars. The most spectacular car was a Hispana Suisa which his friend was restoring in Dehli. Not sure where that car is now but I still have a photograph of it. will share it one day when I have more time to download the pics.
Dilambda1929 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 03:34   #703
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your posting. My husband had the most interesting period of his life in India. He thoroughly enjoyed motoring the length and breadth of India in his vintage car- the Alvis 20/25 .
Dear Mrs. Moore:

You have probably seen this before, here is some pure nostalgia. Thought I would share it for the benefit of the larger T-BHP community (note the caption says Alvis 12/50). From a 1969 Roni Khan article.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-prof.-moore-cars-2.jpg

I would be very interested if you have any pictures of the Dilambda when with Mysore. Cheers

Last edited by ampere : 13th April 2018 at 15:24.
travancore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2012, 21:54   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
You have probably seen this before, here is some pure nostalgia. Thought I would share it for the benefit of the larger T-BHP community (note the caption says Alvis 12/50). From a 1969 Roni Khan article.
Thanks for the pics. I have many pics of the 2 cars . We used to drive to France in the Alvis and the Lancia. These days I have to depend on friends to drive me as I am not able to handle these cars myself. As per your request I will try to send you some of the pics. Not quite sure if I have the pics of the Dilambda when with Mysore. My husband corresponded with the Italian engineer who went out to India with the car . I believe the engineer stayed on in India to look after the car whilst it was with the Mysore.

Out of the 3 vintage cars that my husband had, his favourite was the Alvis. I still have the Dilambda and the Bentley 1932 3 i/2 litre saloon with William Arnold body.

It was indeed very nostalgic to see the 2 cars side by side. I have sadly given the Alvis away but thankfully I still have the Dilambda and also a 1932 Bentley 3 1/2 litre saloon with William Arnold body.

They are still in its original body and working very well.

Once again thanks for the pics.

Last edited by ampere : 13th April 2018 at 15:26. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 12th April 2012, 22:53   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your posting. My husband had the most interesting period of his life in India.
The Hispano being restored in uncle seth,s house is in good hands, still in delhi, and the restorer is a member of this forum, not active for a while though.

Last edited by ampere : 13th April 2018 at 15:27. Reason: Trimmed quoted post

Most Viewed