Team-BHP - How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/2653-how-rich-were-maharajas-before-independence-cars-maharajas-66.html)

Quote:

Photographed taken of the Durbar and oath taking ceremonies on the occasion of the inauguration of the Matsya States Union at Bharatpur on March 17, 1948 by Shri N.V. Gadgil, Central Minister for Works, Mines and Power.
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-2732.jpg

Another picture taken around the same time:

Quote:

Arrival of the Hon'ble Mr. N.V. Gadgil Minister for Word Mine and Power at Bharatpur Railway Statiion for the inauguration of the Matsya States Union (March 1948)
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-2725.jpg

Source: Photodivision GOI

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 3704638)
Attachment 1369535

Another picture taken around the same time:

Attachment 1369536

Packard or Pierce Arrow ( lights look like integrated in the mudguard ) while the second one is a Studebaker for sure

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by kasli (Post 3704654)
Packard or Pierce Arrow ( lights look like integrated in the mudguard ) while the second one is a Studebaker for sure

Cheers

BPS-107 (BPS = Bharatpur State?) is the Studebaker:

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-2762.jpg

Can you identify the other Bharatpur car?

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-2761.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by moralfibre (Post 3704669)
Can you identify the other Bharatpur car?

Attachment 1369545

I think the "other" car (rear view) is actually ALWAR.

Quote:

Studio/Jan.’52, “Pratap Villas” in Jamnagar the main palace of H.H. the jam Saheb of Nawanagar.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-24582.jpg

This was posted on princely India, facebook page, is this a Buick or a Cadillac ?
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-11231858_852572874836268_4740242909561476781_n.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by KartikeyaL (Post 3711975)
This was posted on princely India, facebook page, is this a Buick or a Cadillac ?
Attachment 1372934

The car is a Cadillac, with unusual body by VandenPlas. You should know the car well, it still attends events in Jaipur.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-caddy02.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-caddy03.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 3711992)
The car is a Cadillac, with unusual body by VandenPlas. You should know the car well, it still attends events in Jaipur.

I though as much but the caption mentioned Buick so got thinking, the Cadillac is now owned by the state motor garage, so either it was sold to them or was a gift from Jodhpur or maybe it was a Jaipur car on loan to the Viceroy.

Some interesting tales around the Delhi Durbar, courtesy the Motorsport Magazine

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-durbar.jpg

Here is a picture of the Maharaja of Sikkim's Mercedes.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-image1.jpg

This car is not in India any more, as per a very reliable source

Cheers

KPS

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPS (Post 3735890)

Attachment 1384520

Cheers

KPS

I believe this car, painted deep blue, was shown at an earlier Cartier show in Delhi.

It was ex Sikkim , now with a prominent gentleman in Delhi:)

Quote:

Cheers

KPS

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogji (Post 3736309)
I believe this car, painted deep blue, was shown at an earlier Cartier show in Delhi.

It was ex Sikkim , now with a prominent gentleman in Delhi:)

From our own forum
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post2294062

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-merc06.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-merc07.jpg

Quote:

KPS

Is that an automatic ? I see an automatic badge on the boot of that car. How old is that car exactly? Did automatics exist back then ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by girimajiananth (Post 3736362)
Is that an automatic ? I see an automatic badge on the boot of that car. How old is that car exactly? Did automatics exist back then ?

The car dates to 1958 I think. Automatic transmissions in some form or the other have been in existence probably as long as the automobile itself, though came into popularity I suppose only in the late 30s/early 40s, and by the late 40s were more or less the norm for the Americans. Chrysler offered 'Fluid Drive' semi automatics, and GM offered 'Hydramatic' transmissions. If I remember right Ford acutally offered a 'Fordomatic' too. The Europeans used Cotal pre-selectors from the 1920s or 30s probably.

A glimpse at the Dodge, Mercedes and Willys from the garage of Sandur. The Dodge has been featured earlier:

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_9319.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_9320.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_9321.jpg

Source: Triumph India Facebook page.