Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2015, 07:25   #1066

Re: How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWarth View Post
Yes it is. Uncle John is the fellow in the top photo on the right. It is great, as you can imagine, to find a photo of him in action, ha ha !
Hi Duncan I guess it was you who found the photo's and sent a copy to Richard, you really made my day, when Richard contacted me, the last time I had spoken to Richard was when he was with his dad John in India in 1975, I can't believe we're back in touch after all these years. Thank you for making it possible. Regards Allan
allanuk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 10:47   #1067
BHPian

Hi,

While we have a lot of data showing how rich the Maharajas were before independence, here was an article i read in Goa Times of India recently, quite the contrast.

Regards,

Srinand.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-wp_20151206_002.jpg
srinand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 15:48   #1068

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanuk View Post
Hi Duncan I guess it was you who found the photo's and sent a copy to Richard, you really made my day, when Richard contacted me, the last time I had spoken to Richard was when he was with his dad John in India in 1975, I can't believe we're back in touch after all these years. Thank you for making it possible. Regards Allan
No worries Allan, was a great adventure worthy of a post. Was quite a amazing thing you all did back then, glad your catching up. John was a great inspiration to get out there and do it ha ha !
Old 13th December 2015, 18:32   #1069
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Travancore, Allan was there with my Uncle John and has reconnected with Richard thanks to your great forum. I have been reading the emails and someone mentioned the car was in Belgium. The second photo my cousin said is from 65 I believe, my Uncle worked quite hard at building a relationship with his clients and whatever your politics he was definitely a gentleman enthusiast, who went far too quick.
Thanks Duncan! There are many folks who rightly feel that many of these treasures should never have been exported. However, I for one feel that many have survived because they were.

Sharing these treasures is much, much appreciated. Based on your second photo, attempting a "three point turn" on London streets would have been restricted to Jim Clark or Sterling Moss.

I have not been able yet to trace the car in Belgium. Would love to see what it looks like now.

Below is what this magnificent car looked like originally. You will notice that the headlamps and wing lamps were not Grebels.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-mayurbhanj-rr-pi-63tc-period-frt-3q-l-large.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-mayurbhanj-rr-pi-63tc-iln-mar-5-1927-large2-adjusted.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 13th December 2015 at 18:52.
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2015, 20:10   #1070

Quote:
No worries Allan, was a great adventure worthy of a post. Was quite a amazing thing you all did back then, glad your catching up. John was a great inspiration to get out there and do it ha ha !
Yeah I will agree there it was a great adventure, one of many from the 8 1/2 years I spent in India. Thanks again. Allan
Old 14th December 2015, 03:55   #1071

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Thanks Duncan! There are many folks who rightly feel that many of these treasures should never have been exported. However, I for one feel that many have survived because they were.

Sharing these treasures is much, much appreciated. Based on your second photo, attempting a "three point turn" on London streets would have been restricted to Jim Clark or Sterling Moss.

I have not been able yet to trace the car in Belgium. Would love to see what it looks like now.

Below is what this magnificent car looked like originally. You will notice that the headlamps and wing lamps were not Grebels.

Attachment 1449756

Attachment 1449757
Terrific photo Travancore. Yes I certainly respect that. I would have no doubt probably have felt the same and it was against the law of course. I suspect this was also part of the appeal for my Uncle, he liked to live free, was quite adept at marrying beautiful Indian girls and bringing them back to London as well, certainly enthusiast of beauty in all it's forms my friend ha ha !

My Cousin Richard had this posted to his time line recently. I believe my cousin tried to broker the deal after Johns recent death, but was done by another, he is going to catch up with the gentleman who bought the original owner round to Johns Flat in St James in London when he was in London. Was Laughing as the car made it to Minniesota which is where I was raised when my father moved to america from England, I followed the immagration path as well meeting a Australian beauty in Colorado and following her down here in 88.

I trust this finds you well my friend and thanks you agian for bringing old threads back together who knows we may one be able to make a rope big enough to get us all back to India, would be a great thing to be able to see where John walkied all those years ago for Nostalgia's sake. Enjoy, quite a spectacular car with all the guns especially the cannon and Machine gun trailer, this has given me a lot of joy reminising with people who can appreciate it !

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/19363/lot/455/
DuncanWarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2015, 04:11   #1072

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinand View Post
Hi,

While we have a lot of data showing how rich the Maharajas were before independence, here was an article i read in Goa Times of India recently, quite the contrast.

Regards,

Srinand.

Attachment 1449591
Yes, great to see long after the money is gone the Story still remains, a peoples love of their leader, much respect to a bygone Era. These cars are certainly the symbols of wealth and it is of course sad a few are now in other wealthy mens collections, thankyou for sharing them again. Was chuckling about how the one I have just posted belonged to a Pro Golfer in Minnesota. From the King to the Golf Pro, intresting exchange of fortune indeed.
Old 14th December 2015, 20:29   #1073
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Terrific photo Travancore. Yes I certainly respect that. I would have no doubt probably have felt the same and it was against the law of course. I suspect this was also part of the appeal for my Uncle, he liked to live free,
If this car went out of India in the early / mid 1960's, the law probably did not exist then. Believe the ban on exports came in the late 1970's ? The experts know that better than I.
Old 21st December 2015, 18:13   #1074

Hi whilst I was at the palace in Mayurbhanj in 1975, we were all sat on the porch eating breakfast when all of a sudden it went quite the birds stopped singing and the big marble table we were sat around started to move across the floor, there was a big earth tremor, that day a massive earthquake had hit Turkey and we actually felt the tail end in Mayurbhanj. So I just checked on the Internet and came up with the following information.(below) so this pinpoint the date and time the photos in Mayurbhanj where taken.

The 1975 Lice earthquake was a magnitude 6.7 earthquake that struck the Turkish district of Lice at 12:20 local time (09:20 UTC) on 6 September 1975, killing 2,311 people. The epicenter was located near the town of Lice. The maximum felt intensity was VIII (Severe) on the Mercalli intensity scale.[1]
Old 21st December 2015, 18:19   #1075

Quote:
Welcome to the forum Allan! Your pictures from 1975 are invaluable - captured a wonderful moment in history for posterity.

Duncan - cant wait to see more pictures, if you have them
Hi whilst I was at the palace in Mayurbhanj in 1975, we were all sat on the porch eating breakfast when all of a sudden it went quite the birds stopped singing and the big marble table we were sat around started to move across the floor, there was a big earth tremor, that day a massive earthquake had hit Turkey and we actually felt the tail end in Mayurbhanj. So I just checked on the Internet and came up with the following information.(below) so this pinpoints the date and time the photos in Mayurbhanj where taken. We took the photos the day of the earthquake.

The 1975 Lice earthquake was a magnitude 6.7 earthquake that struck the Turkish district of Lice at 12:20 local time (09:20 UTC) on 6 September 1975, killing 2,311 people. The epicenter was located near the town of Lice. The maximum felt intensity was VIII (Severe) on the Mercalli intensity scale.[1]
Old 21st December 2015, 18:41   #1076
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi whilst I was at the palace in Mayurbhanj in 1975, we were all sat on the porch eating breakfast when all of a sudden it went quite the birds stopped singing and the big marble table we were sat around started to move across the floor, there was a big earth tremor, that day a massive earthquake had hit Turkey and we actually felt the tail end in Mayurbhanj.
Wonder if all those magnificent cars coming out of hibernation caused the quake. Wonderful that you could retrace that moment though!

Also glad that all those cars survive!
Old 21st December 2015, 18:51   #1077

Quote:
Wonder if all those magnificent cars coming out of hibernation caused the quake. Wonderful that you could retrace that moment though!

Also glad that all those cars survive!
Yes it just came to me whilst I was looking at the photo's I have always remembered the quake, I knew that we took the photos in 75 but couldn't remember what month, and then I thought that can't be too hard to find out what date the big quake in turkey was. Bingo
Old 21st December 2015, 18:59   #1078

Quote:

Attachment 1449756

Attachment 1449757
I just noticed that the car in the photos above is not the same car or I don't think so, as if you look at the close up photo of the car in London there is a pillar showing between the doors, on the car above that pillar seems to be missing the doors seem to meet with no pillar in between.
Old 21st December 2015, 19:01   #1079

Quote:

Attachment 1449756

Attachment 1449757
Actually on closer inspection, there is a pillar in between the doors on the photo above. So it must be the same car.
Old 21st December 2015, 21:34   #1080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I just noticed that the car in the photos above is not the same car or I don't think so, as if you look at the close up photo of the car in London there is a pillar showing between the doors, on the car above that pillar seems to be missing the doors seem to meet with no pillar in between.
There is absolutely no uncertainty, it is the same car. I will try to find a version of the photo that shows the pillar between the doors.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks