Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2019, 09:39   #1456
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thanks for sharing. The car was owned by the Tagore family, Prithvi Tagore is an active member here. Period images were posted by Faster and Harit earlier here and here (Faster789's collection). A very interesting car, maybe one day she could be repatriated.
The image of the car at the rally shows the then owner H C Agarwal, noted collector and grandfather of our own Shrivardhan Kanoria. The lady in the picture is his maasi, and the man at the right looking towards the car is their driver Madan, who is still around as a mechanic. Details kindly shared by Shrivardhan.
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2019, 17:55   #1457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
i had a look a that link ,thanks for posting it!. The Green hurlingham was well known to me in the 1960's .I have some pics of taken back then. (somewhere )
The Hurlingham bodies were the idea of GM's new boss of at Vauxhall in the late 1920's, Laurence Hartnett. he was also responsible for the "bedford " name for their line of commercial vehicles.
He was posted to Australia to oversee the acquisition of Holden's Body builders for GM.
To build up sales of Chevs , Hartnett decided that the smartest move would be to body some chevy chassis with a body similar to the Vauxhall Hurlingham.
The first examples were built on new 1930 chassis but Australia was going through the great depression and buying a flashy car was the last thing on anyones mind.
Typical of the holden Bodied cars of that era, mudguards etc would be carried over for several years on suceedng year models.
At this point, I will mention a really nice 1932 Chevrolet Moonlight Speedster which was restored many years ago here in Queensland.
I first read about this particular car in 1966 when an article in the American Vintage chev magazine was published ,It described how the car was bought in a very sorry state from a Sydney used car lot.
The new owner had heard about my Dads 1932 Coupe,which had only 7000 miles on it from new (it still had it's original tires).
The speedsters new owner got to together with a well known car dealer in New Zealand to buy the car from my dad. This was around 1973 .
Their idea was to get Dads car cheap, remove the fisher coupe body and put the moonlight speedster body on it and sell it for a huge profit....!.
The coupe was shipped to Australia but when it arrived the new would be entrepreneurs discovered that the Speedster was on a 1930 Chevrolet chassis which is completely different to a 1932,despite having the 1932 Front bonnet and being sold new in 1932.

The coupe was sold to Sydney car dealership where it sat unused for many years sadly.
In the meantime a new owner, Darrel Stark, got the speedster and spent many years restoring it as new condition .As is often found on hand built cars,the windscreen posts which were cast brass,chrome plated, were stamped with the job number . Somewhere Darrel found parts of other speedsters, including another set of windshield posts with numbers showing that a few more speedsters had been built after his. inside the body,which is all aluminium over a wooden frame, you can see the hammer marks from the original body builders.
Star man is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 20:29   #1458
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO just posted an interesting thread here - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/beyon...tolen-car.html (Inside the twisted, worldwide hunt for a $7 million stolen car)

On which I found something interesting
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-psx_20190902_202732.jpg  

v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2019, 20:03   #1459
Distinguished - BHPian

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-nawanagar-ca-1907.jpg

Ranjitsinhji (Nawanagar); ca 1907
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2019, 09:24   #1460
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the Nawanagar Lanchester the other day in Gurgaon.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-screenshot_2019090314235501.jpeg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-screenshot_2019090314120801.jpeg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-screenshot_2019090314121901.jpeg
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2019, 11:39   #1461
Distinguished - BHPian

Picture from Baroda, can anyone Identify the People ?

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-baroda.jpg
KartikeyaL is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2019, 19:01   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 1912740

Ranjitsinhji (Nawanagar); ca 1907
Note the almost flat left rear tyre !
shyml is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2019, 10:45   #1463

Hi Guys my cousin asked me to put these up for you. "You could post these on BHP if you like and see what they make of them. Left side (first photo) (tourer) is apparently RR Twenty barrel sided tourer Barker 81K2 (BWP18 from Bahawalpur). Right side (second photo) am not so sure, and always possibility number plate changed to get it out of the country, as was done with other cars. Quite likely another Bahawalpur car. Pics taken 1971, after export." Again thank you for your amazing site capturing such wonderful cars.
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-70078054_562539430949096_7302281857398210560_n.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-70002023_497588451036460_2783034036375781376_n.jpg  

DuncanWarth is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 10:59   #1464
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWarth View Post
Hi Guys my cousin asked me to put these up for you. "You could post these on BHP if you like and see what they make of them. Left side (first photo) (tourer) is apparently RR Twenty barrel sided tourer Barker 81K2 (BWP18 from Bahawalpur). Right side (second photo) am not so sure, and always possibility number plate changed to get it out of the country, as was done with other cars. Quite likely another Bahawalpur car. Pics taken 1971, after export." Again thank you for your amazing site capturing such wonderful cars.

Thanks so much for sharing these wonderful images. Looking forward to more.

With regards to the Ghost, see the links below

This link shows 97AE as a Cunard Tourer,
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-rolls_royce_silver_ghost_97ae_2__large.jpg

though here there is discussion of another limousine which seems to match your images.
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-regentghost20.jpg

Over to the experts!

Last edited by karlosdeville : 16th September 2019 at 11:02.
karlosdeville is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 12:26   #1465

Hi, thank you for the links, he also sent me this lovely shot. "Above appears to be Indian Viceroy Silver Ghost 69TW. Originally very lavish car. No idea as to whereabouts, although appears in India when photo was taken."
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-70599262_2173324052965711_9039169917550592000_n.jpg  

DuncanWarth is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 14:42   #1466

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanuk View Post
Hi Duncan I just went over your post again and realised that you mention the half track car, I’m not sure if I already asked you about it? As I can’t remember. What I do remember is seeing a half track hunting car whilst I was in Mayurbhanj, if I remember rightly it was a boatback possibly a citron? Are there any photos of it? Regards Allan

S
Yes It was in London it was a couple of old war vehicles he pulled out of the mews somewhere for a joy ride, not from India, would have been nearly fifty years ago now, Richard sent me a few more which I have just posted. He ended up talking with John's old friend and found out about them, I have sent him the links Karlosdeville, very much appreciated I hope you like the last one, You were there maybe Allan, what fun ! Ha Ha ! I would love to retrace the drive one day, before I am as old as these old cars He He!
DuncanWarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2019, 16:37   #1467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWarth View Post
"Above appears to be Indian Viceroy Silver Ghost 69TW. Originally very lavish car. No idea as to whereabouts, although appears in India when photo was taken."
Posting an old earlier shared picture of the same car here
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-1907_rollsroyce_silverghost1.jpg

Quote:
Car belonged to the Raja of Munger/Monghyr. It was ex-Viceroy, Silver Ghost , chassis 69TW, a Barker limousine.
The car survives in Europe and has been re-bodied

Picture courtesy: Juergen Buech via Rolls royce and Bentley facebook page

Info courtesy : Henk Gerritsen

Quote:
69TW 1920 Silver Ghost rebodied unknown 'Batmobile' (ex Barker-Lacre Motor Car Company Limousine Raja of Monghyr)
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-59935340_1255121477976450_6855647649941422080_n.jpg

Last edited by KartikeyaL : 16th September 2019 at 16:41.
KartikeyaL is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 03:53   #1468

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartikeyaL View Post
Posting an old earlier shared picture of the same car here
Attachment 1915484

The car survives in Europe and has been re-bodied

Picture courtesy: Juergen Buech via Rolls royce and Bentley facebook page

Info courtesy : Henk Gerritsen

Attachment 1915489
KartikeyaL I have forwarded to my cousin. To say the car was Lavish is a understatement. I am amazed ! Like a Elephant it is Lavish Wow !
What a time of history, thank you again for capturing some very special cars.
Kind Regards Duncan
DuncanWarth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2019, 15:47   #1469

This would appear to be it minus all it's finery.
Old 17th September 2019, 18:06   #1470
Distinguished - BHPian

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-dharbanga-rr-sg-97ae-brg418.jpg

BRG-418 has indeed been confirmed as ex-Dharbanga (chassis 97AE) by THE Master R-R Silver Ghost historian. Very unique lens on the bullet wing lamps.

Thanks a million, Duncan for these rare photos.

The current owner had this to say:

" I'm trying to get information on a 1920 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost chassis no 97AE which according to the R-R records I have, was sold to the Maharajah of Darbhanga in January 1925 from the original owner, a Mr Pratt. At that time it had a limousine body but I understand that this was removed and a nice sporty tourer body was fitted and that this was then also removed some time later and replaced by a rather nasty, badly fitting open limousine body taken from a Daimler.

I have no other history of the car until it turned up in France in the early 1980's where it remained until very recently. I acquired it in poor condition earlier this year.

I am seeking pictures of the sporting touring body or any other information regarding its history.
regards
Grahamtyson"

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-w...ml#post1335467

Last edited by travancore : 17th September 2019 at 18:13.
travancore is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks