Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2008, 12:02   #256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
An interesting snippet from the web regarding Fraser Nash BMW's and India: (source:BMW Roadster . com)

461 328's were built from 1936 - 1940. 42 Sold in Britian. 1 Went to India as well as 1 going to the U.S.A. (both delivered by Frazer Nash-BMW). 7 Were in chassis form exported to the UK."_
The net is a great source for research, but not for believing everything. A few observations of mine that I've been holding back for few days, if I may, now.

Firstly Frazer Nash were BMW importers, assemblers and distributors for the UK market; since there was growing resentment against German products at that time, so the British guise helped! All Frazer Nash-BMW 328s were thus right hand drive. There was no other difference with the BMW 328 other than the badging, which only had Frazer Nash added to the blue-n-white propellor BMW oval on the radiator cowl and the wheel spinners. I seem to recollect reading somewhere that a few of the panels were sourced separately by FN, so that may be a difference too. Also that the German 328 body was all Aluminium, not so the British. There were certainly more than two coachbuildres involved even in Germany (the cabriolet and roadster being apportioned between them), but I can't remember much here.

Few of the Frazer Nash-BMWs were exported to the right hand drive markets - so if the steering wheel were visible in Speedy's photo (it can't be seen even in the second photo posted by Karl/Harit - what's the story with the wheel?) one could have deduced without first-hand info that it was likely to be a FNBeemer. Harit of course cleared that. A Frazer Nash-BMW 328 being exported to the US is possible, because a few RHD cars (of other makes) did turn up in America, but quite unlikely too. And I wonder why they wouldn't get one from Germany in LHD? The German BMW 328 was also cheaper. I don't know if BMW 328s were produced in RHD in Germany, nowhere in my records it's mentioned that they did though.

The general consensus is that 462 (not 461) BMW 328s (including the Frazer Nash-BMW 328s) were built. Apparently the last nine rolling chassis of the BMW 328 in 1939 could not be completed due to the war and were infact built afterwards in 1945. So technically there were nine 1945 BMW 328s also! Only I'm not sure if these were in the German factory or sent as the rolling chassis for assembly by Frazer Nash in the U.K. Would be interesting if someone can come up with the lid on that, an important footnote in the speedsters history can be nailed.

Although the introduction of the 328 in the general market happened in 1937, the first production models rolled out in 1936. Similarly, the last production (including the incomplete nine rolling chassis that languished until the war finished) was in 1939, but possibly the last ones were being sold till 1940 so that's attributed as the last year. Though 1936-39 is considered to be the years by most.

Quote:
An added India connection for Fraser Nash: " Captain Archie Frazer-Nash. he was a son of the Raj, born in India in 1889, _
After the war in fact, Frazer Nash Engineering and Frazer Nash cars went separate ways, the latter was now called AFN (after Capt. Archiebald-F-N) and importing/distributing Porsche cars while also building BMW clones/spawns with Bristol engines and gearboxes, but now called only Frazer Nashes. Bristol itself was also blatantly milking the BMW designs (engines and body design) almost like a right due to war-time repatriations and building upon it's already sizeable reputation!

How cyclical has the story been - Austin 7-BMW Dixie, BMW-Frazer Nash-Bristol, Rolls Royce-BMW (not to mention Bentley-VW)

Quote:
Archie's mother was one of the first women to qualify as a doctor. She had practised in India.."_
Aah...so some of our grand-mothers got the Frazer Nash treatment!
Old 29th August 2008, 12:38   #257
DKG
Senior - BHPian

That was very enlightening Prabal. Thanks a ton
Old 3rd September 2008, 17:01   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
The general consensus is that 462 (not 461) BMW 328s (including the Frazer Nash-BMW 328s) were built.

Though 1936-39 is considered to be the years by most.
Here's an update, and an admission of my mistake in the previous post; my apologies! I have been checking the records with BMW and have learnt that a total of 464 units of the 328 were built. And the production period on record is 1936-40.
Old 21st September 2008, 22:31   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Some observations from Harit on the BMW.
Just got my hands on the The AutoMobiles Of The Maharajas co written by Manvendra uncle. On Page 313 There is a mention and a picture of the 328 and he does call it the BMW and not Fraser Nash BMW. So either he has made a mistake or Mr. Sanghi has.
Here is a scan copy of the page.
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-scan0001.jpg  

Old 24th September 2008, 13:24   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

A rare Kaiser Frazer Manhatten with the Gonal family.

Unusual Royal Family Vintage Car Collection - India Travel Forum Photo Gallery
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-.jpg  

Old 29th September 2008, 21:29   #261

Hello again,

Just to let you know we are back from Europe and I found time to put up your pics of the 1:25 scale Cadillac boattail speedster once owned by the Maharajah of Orccha. If you want to add or change anything, please let me know.

Toys, 02-31
Old 13th December 2008, 22:15   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Some more lovely pictures courtesy Kishore Gidwani.

Lancia DiLambda, now being restored. Dholpur if Im not mistaken.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-lancia-dilambda.jpg
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-lancia-dilambda-.jpg
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-lancia-dilambda-b.jpg

Kishore's Buick.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-buick.jpg
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-buick-.jpg

Early Buick of Wankaner.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-wankener-buick.jpg

Delage of Gondal. If Im right, this car is now restored.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-delage-gondal.jpg
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-delage-gondal-.jpg
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-delage-gondal-b.jpg

I have no details on this though. Appears American.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-unknown.jpg
Old 14th December 2008, 20:22   #263

Totally off topic, if I may. Last night Gita and I dined at an Indian restaurant here, in South Carolina. A music video (DVD) was playing on a wide-screen TV, for the enjoyment of the patrons. It was "Love Songs" by Tere Yihe, from "Rash Raj Home Entertainment". Gita noticed that some of the video scenes appeared to have been shot in Switzerland, including on the premises of the International School that she attanded, near Geneva. Who might know the camera crews, to confirm the location(s) and dates when the DVD was filmed. Where could she buy a copy of that DVD? You may Email me privately: yannsaunders@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesixteen View Post
Hello again,

Just to let you know we are back from Europe and I found time to put up your pics of the 1:25 scale Cadillac boattail speedster once owned by the Maharajah of Orccha. If you want to add or change anything, please let me know.

Toys, 02-31
Old 17th December 2008, 10:16   #264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesixteen View Post
Totally off topic, if I may. Last night Gita and I dined at an Indian restaurant here, in South Carolina. A music video (DVD) was playing on a wide-screen TV, for the enjoyment of the patrons. It was "Love Songs" by Tere Yihe, from "Rash Raj Home Entertainment". Gita noticed that some of the video scenes appeared to have been shot in Switzerland, including on the premises of the International School that she attanded, near Geneva. Who might know the camera crews, to confirm the location(s) and dates when the DVD was filmed. Where could she buy a copy of that DVD?
Well we would need more details, as many movies have been shot in picturesque Switzerland. Firstly, it was probably Tere Liye, which translates to "for you", and Yash Raj, not Rash Raj, a big name in the film industry. Your best bet would be to ask the restaurant itself Id think.
Old 2nd January 2009, 15:37   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

This months Auto India magazine has a lovely article with some great pictures on the Kapurthala Talbot Lago with Figoni Falaschi coachwork. Dont miss it, also some pieces on the Nethercutt collection and Jay Leno.
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-talbot48.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2009, 16:17   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

This month's Auto India (Feb 09) too has been a treat for classic car lovers with extensive coverage of the Lowmann collection featuring the Hyderabad Prime Minister's Phantom 1 and Idar's Brooke Swan car. It carries an early photo of what must have been the original owner, an Englishman, with his car.

On closer inspection, portion of the regn number visible may be the current NABHA 200, so the person in the picture is still unidentified, as Nabha bought the car from the Calcutta Englishman.
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-0.jpg  

Old 22nd February 2009, 17:09   #267
Senior - BHPian

The first owner of the Swan Car who is pictured with the car was a gentleman named Robert Nicholl "Scotty"Mathewson.

He later sold the car to the Royal Family of Nabha.

The car would at a pull of a lever drop mounds of chalk on the road to stimulate a swans dropping. Most unusual along with the steam shooting out of its nostrels.

Last edited by wasif : 22nd February 2009 at 17:19. Reason: add content
Old 28th February 2009, 19:01   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend of mine took this picture from a Bentley book, showing a large Mk 6 Bentley for Mysore. Is the car accounted for today?
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-1.jpg  

Old 28th February 2009, 19:48   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A friend of mine took this picture from a Bentley book, showing a large Mk 6 Bentley for Mysore. Is the car accounted for today?
I have a feeling this is the Poonawalla Car (Chassis # B294EY); Registration MRJ-3371
Old 28th February 2009, 20:59   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have a feeling this is the Poonawalla Car (Chassis # B294EY); Registration MRJ-3371
Hmm, you must be right, they do appear identical.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks