Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 21:04   #556
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Totally OT, can anyone identify those Scooters? With a current picture )

Cheers harit
As far as i can decipher from this pic , these scooters appear to be the Girnar Leo scoots that were made by a company called Gujrat Small scale industries corporation (A goverment of India/Gujarat Enterprise).

The G logo on the front panel also points to this.

This information has been taken from a a existing Tbhp thread.

Regards
Salman
wbd8779 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2010, 11:24   #557
Senior - BHPian

I have just received the August issue of The Automobile and surprised to find this advertisement. Unfortunately the attempt to auction this car flopped. Wonder where and when she will finally end up someplace.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-magazine-034.jpg  

Old 4th September 2010, 18:30   #558
Senior - BHPian

LO...atleast now they are deadling with a proper auction house that deals in vintage cars instead of the older one which dealt in furniture only
Old 12th November 2010, 12:58   #559
Senior - BHPian

The Lancia Dilambda bodied by Violetta, ex Maharaja of Mysore, owned by Professor Moore in Delhi and taken out by him when it was still legal, is still around and made an appearance in UK recently. Seems it was the most appreciated car in that show. Wasif had earlier posted another pic at an earlier event, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...arajas-20.html post 287.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-magazine-037.jpg  

Old 12th November 2010, 13:21   #560
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

I have as good as NO knowledge on vintage cars. I was in Ranakpur recently.

We were put up in a hotel owned by the Royal Family of Udaipur. HRH Group. In the parking lot there was a Ford Vintage car. Its owned by the family and from what i was told by the staff there is its in 100% working condition. I think this belongs here.

@MODS : Please move it to appropriate thread if reqd.

Enjoy the pics.
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-dscf3363.jpg
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-dscf3366.jpg

Dad posing with the car
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-dscf3367.jpg
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2010, 13:33   #561
Senior - BHPian

This is a Ford Model 'A". Not sure about the year.
Old 26th November 2010, 17:40   #562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is a Buick 1947 Super convertible, came from Kerala, restored in Mumbai, very nicely done. Believed to have been a Travancore Royal family car.
Kasli can send pictures of the car as found.
Yes, This car may have been part of the palace fleet, anyway in the sixties itself it reached the hands of MERRYLAND studios and has appeared in many Malayalam movies of Satyan,PremNazir,etc.One movie was ""KARUTHA KAYE''.The Registration number was KLT-6566 or 5655(will confirm later).Later it came in the hands of one Stanes Pappachan whose sons kept it till 2002 ,in a dilapidated condition the Mumbai boy bought it for Rs.40000/-.Incidentally the 1938 BUICK Special 40 series which went to TITUS also was this same Stanes guy
Old 27th November 2010, 08:07   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay99 View Post
Yes, This car may have been part of the palace fleet, anyway in the sixties itself it reached the hands of MERRYLAND studios and has appeared in many Malayalam movies of Satyan,PremNazir,etc.One movie was ""KARUTHA KAYE''.The Registration number was KLT-6566 or 5655(will confirm later).Later it came in the hands of one Stanes Pappachan whose sons kept it till 2002 ,in a dilapidated condition the Mumbai boy bought it for Rs.40000/-.Incidentally the 1938 BUICK Special 40 series which went to TITUS also was this same Stanes guy
And so was a Studebaker. Any idea where that went?

Cheers harit
Old 28th November 2010, 12:15   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And so was a Studebaker. Any idea where that went?

Cheers harit
that car was a bullet nosed model and a coconut tree fell on it crashing the bonnet and dash(engine included) .It was also taken along with the Buick to Bombay.Venkatesh may be able to give more info about its present whereabouts.
Old 4th December 2010, 23:55   #565
BHPian

As close family friends of Sh Mukhtar's family, I have some knowledge of their cars. First pl understand that Sheikh sahib was perhaps the most knowledgable car person in the 1950's and I say this because I photocopied his collection of Classic Car club of Americas issues from 1950's to 1970s and he had read them all as a member and subscriber. Imagine someone with money and knowledge in that era. He picked the best India had to offer, of the grand classics. The pick of the lot are in my opinion the top of the world in their class and make. These are
1. 1930 Cadillac V-16 with first ever body by Farina ( later Pinin farina ) when he set up a separate design house) Its a boat tail with a dickey seat. This is the car he sold last and I have seen its picture with Meena Kumari, an Indian actress of no less merit. He saw the car in disrepair with its tail sticking out of a garage. I went to see this car but its present owners were restoring it and car was not to be shown. It was previously in black and orange, then blue and cream and now reportedly going back to red and orange.
2. The Dusenberg in said picture in this thread also has a dickey seat. Again unique a the only Dusenberg to be designed by that prince of body makers Gurney Nutting. It was sold early on by Sheikh Sahib and to me it was a gross error of judgement. I think he lost a lot of money in the film Noor Jehan and had to let go of his cars. I cannot think of any other reason. Till the time I had seen it in flesh and blood ( this June in California) I had placed it in the top 10 cars of the world. Now I rate it No1 bar none. It is so imposing and beautiful that you can die before you tire of looking at it. It is the prize and joy of General William Lyon, who was very kind to show it to us on our visit to his house. I am trying to attach a picture as and when I can figure it out.
3. Mercedes 500K of which i know little and the family does not have pics.
However i fail to understand why he did not amass cars as so many were available and no takers except John Worth of UK who was a friend of Mr Sheikh. He did buy a 1914 Daimler of huge size in Pakisatn, a Lincoln K and a Rolls Royce 20 of no special merit. I think he was influenced by the VCCCA into American cars which indeed were rare in India.
The car in the radio show would have to be the V-16 cadillac as the Duesenberg left India quite early on.
shyml is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2010, 12:29   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyml View Post
As close family friends of Sh Mukhtar's family, I have some knowledge of their cars. First pl understand that Sheikh sahib was perhaps the most knowledgable car person in the 1950's and I say this because I photocopied his collection of Classic Car club of Americas issues from 1950's to 1970s and he had read them all as a member and subscriber. Imagine someone with money and knowledge in that era. He picked the best India had to offer, of the grand classics. The pick of the lot are in my opinion the top of the world in their class and make. These are
1. 1930 Cadillac V-16 with first ever body by Farina ( later Pinin farina ) when he set up a separate design house) Its a boat tail with a dickey seat. This is the car he sold last and I have seen its picture with Meena Kumari, an Indian actress of no less merit. He saw the car in disrepair with its tail sticking out of a garage. I went to see this car but its present owners were restoring it and car was not to be shown. It was previously in black and orange, then blue and cream and now reportedly going back to red and orange.
2. The Dusenberg in said picture in this thread also has a dickey seat. Again unique a the only Dusenberg to be designed by that prince of body makers Gurney Nutting. It was sold early on by Sheikh Sahib and to me it was a gross error of judgement. I think he lost a lot of money in the film Noor Jehan and had to let go of his cars. I cannot think of any other reason. Till the time I had seen it in flesh and blood ( this June in California) I had placed it in the top 10 cars of the world. Now I rate it No1 bar none. It is so imposing and beautiful that you can die before you tire of looking at it. It is the prize and joy of General William Lyon, who was very kind to show it to us on our visit to his house. I am trying to attach a picture as and when I can figure it out.
3. Mercedes 500K of which i know little and the family does not have pics.
However i fail to understand why he did not amass cars as so many were available and no takers except John Worth of UK who was a friend of Mr Sheikh. He did buy a 1914 Daimler of huge size in Pakisatn, a Lincoln K and a Rolls Royce 20 of no special merit. I think he was influenced by the VCCCA into American cars which indeed were rare in India.
The car in the radio show would have to be the V-16 cadillac as the Duesenberg left India quite early on.
Hi.

Great inputs. We would all love to hear more from you on thsi subject.

Please do post pics of the Duesenber and any others that you might have.
Old 20th February 2011, 13:32   #567
Senior - BHPian

Re: How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas

Quote:
The Orchha Caddy was in Mumbai for some time, I have a picture of it on Marine Drive. And a friends dad used to service it.
Maybe someone would like to contribute there?

Cheers harit
Harit
Did you post the photo of the Orchha V 16? I can't seem to find it. I had read an article about this car in the 1985 Motor Trend. Had seen it once when Sheikh Mukhtar had it
Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyml View Post
As close family friends of Sh Mukhtar's family, I have some knowledge of their cars.
. 1930 Cadillac V-16 with first ever body by Farina ( later Pinin farina ) when he set up a separate design house) Its a boat tail with a dickey seat. This is the car he sold last and I have seen its picture with Meena Kumari, an Indian actress of no less merit. He saw the car in disrepair with its tail sticking out of a garage. I went to see this car but its present owners were restoring it and car was not to be shown. It was previously in black and orange, then blue and cream and now reportedly going back to red and orange..
There's the connection. I always thought he came to see a famous Hindi Story writer of yesteryears at least that who my dad said he came to meet when we saw this car. But coincidently Meen Kumari's sister lived here too.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 20th February 2011 at 13:40.
Old 21st February 2011, 16:28   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

A Plymouth tourer is seen at the Mandawa Castle hotel

Castle Mandawa - Royal Weddings

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-royal_wedding.jpg
Old 21st February 2011, 19:15   #569
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A Plymouth tourer is seen at the Mandawa Castle hotel

Castle Mandawa - Royal Weddings

Attachment 505738
This is a 1931 Plymouth PA. Nice to see another 4 cylinder Plymouth

Last edited by KPS : 21st February 2011 at 19:16.
Old 22nd February 2011, 17:55   #570
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a car that I don't think has been discussed on the forum earlier.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-01.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-02.jpg

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-03.jpg

1937 Delahaye Roadster 1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

1937 Delahaye with coachwork (unusually) by Abott.

The car is owned for the last 40 years by Robert Cory, who is friends with a friend. He informs us that the car is reputed to be owned at one point by the "Maharaja of Indore" - is this a known Holkar car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks