Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 07:07   #631
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Thanks Karlos for these superb pictures!

The Mallya car is Silver Ghost Chassis 55-EM

The Phantom I is Chassis 63-TC

Have no clue what the other polished aluminum hood Silver Ghost is!
Sorry for back to back posts!

Now that I keep looking at it, the second SG is the original avatar of 118-MG (ORM-436) seen at Cartier 2011.

The original color combo had me stumped for a while, the unique tail and "hunting" lamps are obvious now!

Last edited by travancore : 7th October 2011 at 07:19.
Old 16th October 2011, 12:41   #632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Phantom I is Chassis 63-TC
Hi travancore, any idea about the fate of this car?

Cheers harit
Old 16th October 2011, 20:37   #633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi travancore, any idea about the fate of this car?

Cheers harit
I am told that PI 63-TC is in Belgium. No info on condition or any current pictures.
Old 18th October 2011, 09:38   #634
sat
BHPian

Quote:
Lovely pics. Ofcourse these cars belonged to Mayurbanj. But please do not make assumptions on two aspects.
Mayurbanj has/had a residence in Calcutta, maybe they had a garage there too. The cars need not have been pulled out in Orissa.
Harit,

I did call members of the Mayurbhanj family in Kolkatta, they did confirm the series of pics taken in 75 were taken in Baripada, Mayurbhanj. The family use to live on a 9 acre property in Calcutta till 1959 after which they moved to Rainey Park, Ballygunge which I use to visit regularly. I remember seeing a Bentley in Rainey park residence in the '83 which I think is in Delhi.
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:35   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
Harit,

I did call members of the Mayurbhanj family in Kolkatta, they did confirm the series of pics taken in 75 were taken in Baripada, Mayurbhanj. The family use to live on a 9 acre property in Calcutta till 1959 after which they moved to Rainey Park, Ballygunge which I use to visit regularly. I remember seeing a Bentley in Rainey park residence in the '83 which I think is in Delhi.
Hi sat, My Dodge Custom Royal was with the Mayurbanj family in Kolkatta before they sold it. Could you ask if they have memories of that car, and maybe some pictures? I believe that the car came to Mayurbanj from Nepal after a marriage.
Could you also ask them when these 3 Rolls were removed? Do those pictures really date from 1975? Would love to hear more.

Cheers harit
Old 22nd October 2011, 19:09   #636
BHPian

Howdy Harit,

I have pics of your Dodge garaged in UP in the 90s, when it was offered to me. Have to look for the lot...

Best,

P
Old 30th October 2011, 18:09   #637
Senior - BHPian

Just got back in touch with a very old friend from Hyderabad and he shared some interesting facts and pictures of the Jodhpur Delahaye.

Below is what he has to say about the history of the Delahaye and the pictures he sent are truly amazing.

It was bought new, as far as I have been told, by the Raja Saheb of Akalkot (a Rajwada in what is now Maharashtra), and sold to the late Nawab Zaheer Yar Jung, Ameer-e-Paigah, from Hyderabad. From him, it was bought by the late Nawab Ahmed Yar Jung (my mother’s brother ) also from the Paigah family, in Hyderabad. Uncle said it was exchanged with a 1939 Ford Woody and Ten Thousand Rupees in cash sometime around 1946. As my uncle and Nawab Zaheer Yar Jung were cousins anyway, the transaction was on the telephone, and Nawab Zaheer Yar Jung had his driver take the car over immediately.

It took Abdulla Baig, uncle’s trusty driver a good two days to tune those triple carburettors, Uncle would say. The Delahaye was a light turquoise blue, with a black top, and the steering wheel and unusual gear knob on the dash were ivory coloured. ( Ivory, maybe?. I haven’t seen the car.
The car was a show stopper right from the start; and Uncle used to say, “When I went to see a movie at Plaza Cinema, the public would come out and just stare at the car”.

The car was sent for repair of its lining to Bombay in 1948 or so. That was about the time of the Police Action in Hyderabad, and the situation in Hyderabad seemed gloomy and uncertain. Prince Basalath Jah, the Nizam’s brother, was returning to Hyderabad with his entourage, and Uncle requested him to have his Delahaye accompany him. He told Uncle that he could only guarantee a safe passage till Sholapur, and after that anything could happen. Uncle decided to let the car remain in Bombay. It was there, till the then Jodhpur Maharaj ( I think ) picked it up for 17 or 23 thousand rupees. The car has been in Jodhpur ever since, and is now red.

It was NOT owned by Prince Azam Jah. A lot of the stories of the Hyderabad cars are not really authentic. So many stories have been woven around fragile leads "
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_6219.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_6221.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_6222.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_7050.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_7052.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_7054.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_7055.jpg  

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-img_7056.jpg  

wasif is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 19:04   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Just got back in touch with a very old friend from Hyderabad and he shared some interesting facts and pictures of the Jodhpur Delahaye.
Wow Wasif! This definitely ranks among the best of historical "fact" finding we have seen here!

Wonderful if your family has any more info on the contemporary Jaipur Delahaye as well. Thanks
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2011, 19:35   #639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wow Wasif! This definitely ranks among the best of historical "fact" finding we have seen here!

Wonderful if your family has any more info on the contemporary Jaipur Delahaye as well. Thanks
Thanks....the credit is due to Mohammed Bhai for the pictures and the history.

His family had great taste in cars and he said he would try to find more pictures and send them to me soon.

Here is nother picture of the Delahaye with a Buick next to it.

He is a member of thsi forum and I am hoping he will add more to this.

What Jaipur Delahaye are you refering to , is it the one pictured in Manvendra Singh's book ? I have not seen detailed pictures but I feel that it might have been this very car ?

The Late Nawab Zaheer Yar Jung also owned a Horch roadster and I am hoping some pictures can be found of that too
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-pb110094a.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 30th October 2011 at 19:42.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 12:59   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif

Below is what he has to say about the history of the Delahaye and the pictures he sent are truly amazing.

It was bought new, as far as I have been told, by the Raja Saheb of Akalkot (a Rajwada in what is now Maharashtra), and sold to the late Nawab Zaheer Yar Jung, Ameer-e-Paigah, from Hyderabad. From him, it was bought by the late Nawab Ahmed Yar Jung (my mother’s brother ) also from the Paigah family, in Hyderabad. Uncle said it was exchanged with a 1939 Ford Woody and Ten Thousand Rupees in cash sometime around 1946. As my uncle and Nawab Zaheer Yar Jung were cousins anyway, the transaction was on the telephone, and Nawab Zaheer Yar Jung had his driver take the car over immediately.

It took Abdulla Baig, uncle’s trusty driver a good two days to tune those triple carburettors, Uncle would say. The Delahaye was a light turquoise blue, with a black top, and the steering wheel and unusual gear knob on the dash were ivory coloured. ( Ivory, maybe?. I haven’t seen the car.
The car was a show stopper right from the start; and Uncle used to say, “When I went to see a movie at Plaza Cinema, the public would come out and just stare at the car”.

The car was sent for repair of its lining to Bombay in 1948 or so. That was about the time of the Police Action in Hyderabad, and the situation in Hyderabad seemed gloomy and uncertain. Prince Basalath Jah, the Nizam’s brother, was returning to Hyderabad with his entourage, and Uncle requested him to have his Delahaye accompany him. He told Uncle that he could only guarantee a safe passage till Sholapur, and after that anything could happen. Uncle decided to let the car remain in Bombay. It was there, till the then Jodhpur Maharaj ( I think ) picked it up for 17 or 23 thousand rupees. The car has been in Jodhpur ever since, and is now red.

It was NOT owned by Prince Azam Jah. A lot of the stories of the Hyderabad cars are not really authentic. So many stories have been woven around fragile leads "
The second last snap has a huge palace with the nawab seated in the car. The rear has a cream and black car in the back ground. Is that the STUDEBAKER which is now in JODHPUR ? Similar right ! Could be wrong but interesting automobile
Old 31st October 2011, 13:04   #641
Senior - BHPian

Hi Kasli.

The car in the background looks more like a Humber or a Riley to me, its too small to be a Studebaker.

There is the rear portion of a sedan is also visible in the third last picture, any idea what it could be.

The palace is the Phisalbanda Palace.

Last edited by wasif : 31st October 2011 at 13:06.
Old 31st October 2011, 13:11   #642
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kasli.

The car in the background looks more like a Humber or a Riley to me, its too small to be a Studebaker.

There is the rear portion of a sedan is also visible in the third last picture, any idea what it could be.

Could be but it looks like that jodhpur car STUDEBAKER or the Humber one cream and black one . I shall try and dig snaps of what I am talking of
Old 31st October 2011, 13:11   #643
BHPian

OMG Delahaye's are so awesome never knew there was a bit of history attached with hyderabad as well. Thanks For the info Wasif!
Old 31st October 2011, 13:20   #644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Kasli.

Name:  image3027377970.png
Views: 2966
Size:  582.1 KB

I was talking of this one . Stand corrected Humber not a STUDEBAKER
Old 31st October 2011, 13:27   #645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Attachment 834794

I was talking of this one . Stand corrected Humber not a STUDEBAKER
Looks identical but the car in your picture has a sidemount that is not visible in the older picture . Maybe the same car you never know

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks