Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2012, 10:49   #736
Senior - BHPian

Re: How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas

Quote:
Originally Posted by the mole View Post
It seems to be influenced by the Tatraplan with the rear fin and overall styling.
That RR predates the Tatraplan !
Old 12th June 2012, 13:09   #737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That RR predates the Tatraplan !
Indeed! you are right. Any idea which was the first car to develop a fin on its hind? I always thought the Tatra T77 was one of the first in 1933.
Old 15th June 2012, 12:58   #738
Distinguished - BHPian

A Junagadh Chevy is offered for sale here

Chevrolet Master 85 Limousine Convertible 1939 for sale - PreWarCar

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-01.jpg

Going by the proportions of the hood it is likely to be a local conversion to soft top.
Old 20th June 2012, 16:27   #739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A Junagadh Chevy is offered for sale here.... Going by the proportions of the hood it is likely to be a local conversion to soft top.
The story of this car is in PakWheels, picture below lifted from their site. It was indeed a conversion, car came to Pakistan after the partition, and an American took her away from there.

Restored quite well, but some features have been changed.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-juna-1.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 20th June 2012 at 16:29.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 11:06   #740
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering if this thread is only for Maharaja cars, or whether cars belonging to Nawabs and the Nizam could be included. There is a thread on Nizam's cars, but in this thread many Nawabi cars are mentioned.
All were rulers of some territories in India, most had British support, all seemed to have loved their cars, palaces, novelties, many had good taste, many were hunters, so many common points. Difference was the religion.
I am asking because if there is to be an event associated with Maharaja's, would a Nawabs car be eligible?
Just wondering.

Cheers harit
Old 25th June 2012, 12:02   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I was wondering if this thread is only for Maharaja cars, or whether cars belonging to Nawabs and the Nizam could be included. There is a thread on Nizam's cars, but in this thread many Nawabi cars are mentioned.
All were rulers of some territories in India, most had British support, all seemed to have loved their cars, palaces, novelties, many had good taste, many were hunters, so many common points. Difference was the religion.
I am asking because if there is to be an event associated with Maharaja's, would a Nawabs car be eligible?
Just wondering.

Cheers harit
C'mon Harit stop teasing us , you know you can post pics of the Nawabs and Nizams cars here....please post them right away.

Site has been quiet dull of late....stir up the pot please
Old 14th July 2012, 12:23   #742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
C'mon Harit stop teasing us , you know you can post pics of the Nawabs and Nizams cars here....please post them right away. Site has been quiet dull of late....stir up the pot please
I was wondering if the Nizamz Rolls would have been eligible for the Maharaja class at Pebble Beach and why the curator did not propose that car. Maybe not upto standard?

Here is a car which made an appearance in Europe recently, The Nanpara Rolls. As the car is not in India, posting in the Maharaja thread.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-nanpb.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 14th July 2012 at 12:29.
Old 14th July 2012, 18:12   #743
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Here is a car which made an appearance in Europe recently, The Nanpara Rolls. As the car is not in India, posting in the Maharaja thread.

Cheers harit
There is a lot of wishful thinking about the "Nanpara" RR PI (Chassis 94-MC), the famous round door Jonckheere coupe.

It is true that Nanpara once owned this car, probably with its original Hooper Cabriolet body. There is no documentation that he commissioned this unique body.

Here is a history of the car seems plausible, courtesy cardomain.com

"The exotic “Round Door” Rolls-Royce was delivered new in 1925 with a Hooper Cabriolet body to its first owner, a Mrs. Hugh Dillman of Detroit. It appears never to have left England and was re-sold when still virtually new to the Raja of Nanpara. In about 1934 a subsequent owner sent the car to Jonckheere of Belgium to be fitted with fashionably aerodynamic coachwork complete with twin sunroofs, round doors, a large fin, and a sloping radiator shell. Once thought to have been owned by the Duke of Windsor, the concours-winning car then passed through the hands of several other owners before being discovered in New Jersey in the early-1950s in near derelict condition. Max Obie later acquired the unusual Rolls-Royce, had it painted gold, and charged curious individuals one dollar to enter a special enclosure to look at the car. The Phantom I then spent time on the East Coast of the United States and in Japan before coming into the possession of the Petersen Automotive Museum in the spring of 2001."

Hugh Dillman as the original owner is documented in the "Derby Phantoms"
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2012, 02:25   #744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The only Rolls Royce in the world which had a slanting grille and round doors. And the modifications were ordered by the Maharaja of Nanpara.....
I am afraid there was only one Maharaja in Uttar Pradesh. That was Tehri Garhwal. The entire system of princely states was created by British through their subisdiary alliance system. In Uttar Pradesh, formerly United Provinces, there were only two princely states, Tehri Garhwal and Rampur. Benares was probably given this status but I am not certain. The remainder were zamindars called taluqdars in the part of UP known as Awadh or Oudh. Nanpara was one of these taluqdars. Some taluqdars and zamindars were given the courtesy title of Maharaja. In Awadh, perhaps Balrampur was given this status.
Chhayanat
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:53   #745
BHPian

Chhayanat, Is the current maharaja of Tehri Garhwal a relation of Manvinder? I recall the days when he had some really nice caddys which he used to strip down to bare chassis and rebuild. My favourite was the early fifties convertible. Used to be a lovely deep red, later on changed to white, as shown in the bombay Cartier bash some years ago. A simple , soft spoken gentleman, warm , hospitable and ever willing to discuss cars. Later on I believe he was not in good health which led him to part with most of his cars. Diljeet was lucky to have the first pick, but I have no idea where the other cars have gone. Do you have any information?

Last edited by Bulldogji : 23rd July 2012 at 13:55.
Old 12th August 2012, 23:38   #746
Senior - BHPian

Found this article in one of the Hispano Suiza books at home. I don't know which car this is either Alwar or Baroda. I am sure some one on the forum will be able to recognize the car correctly.

The little description is quite funny on hunting & the Maharajah's

Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: pdf New note.pdf (450.7 KB, 378 views)
Old 13th August 2012, 11:42   #747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
Found this article in one of the Hispano Suiza books at home. I don't know which car this is either Alwar or Baroda......Cheers
Isn't this the Kellner bodied Alwar car which was with Pratap Roy? And restored a few years ago in Europe, maybe Germany in most garrish colours?

Cheers harit
Old 13th August 2012, 23:52   #748

Thank You for posting the Delahaye info on my behalf, Wasif..I have had problems posting on this forum. My family owned 4 Rolls Royce's. My father's father, The late Nawab Wali-ud-Dowla's Rollers have been mentioned here. I will post pics of the two Rolls Royce's my mother's father had. Hope we can trace them. Any idea of the Prince Azam Jah blue and silver Bentley that Prince Mukkaram Jah took to Australia? Heard it was swindled by his one time caretaker....? Mukkaram Jah Bahadur hit a cart at 80mph while driving back from Calcutta in it...back in the sixties. I have some pics of him with his Austin Champ...(now with Shadaan College people, Hyderabad)...Will post them.
Mohammed Jung is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 20:07   #749
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohammed Jung View Post
Thank You for posting the Delahaye info on my behalf, Wasif..I have had problems posting on this forum. My family owned 4 Rolls Royce's. My father's father, The late Nawab Wali-ud-Dowla's Rollers have been mentioned here. I will post pics of the two Rolls Royce's my mother's father had. Hope we can trace them. Any idea of the Prince Azam Jah blue and silver Bentley that Prince Mukkaram Jah took to Australia? Heard it was swindled by his one time caretaker....? Mukkaram Jah Bahadur hit a cart at 80mph while driving back from Calcutta in it...back in the sixties. I have some pics of him with his Austin Champ...(now with Shadaan College people, Hyderabad)...Will post them.
Mohammed - Welcome to the Forum. We all loved the Delahaye and R-R photos. Absolutely nostalgic.

I believe the "Silver & Blue Bentley" (Chassis B104-MR) is still in India, though a different colour. Picture is attached. Unless of course, you are describing a second car.

It was discussed in the Bentleys in India Thread:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...tml#post934085

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-hyderabad-bentley-b104mr.jpg

============================================

And here is a picture of the Nizam's fleet including the Austin Champ.

How rich were the Maharajas before Independence! Cars of the Maharajas-nizam-fleet-1970s.jpg

Cheers
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 20:24   #750
Senior - BHPian

Pleasure was all mine Mohammed Bhai ....those pics were awesome .....look forward to more.

Your Delahaye pics helped to clear up the history and provenience of that car forever.

Is the Bentley in the pics Travancore posted the one you are talking about.? It's in Calcutta now.

I am also aware one Bentley was taken to Australia by the Prince. Any idea which one it was ....some details would be great to hear.

Do you have any pics of the Horch baba!s grandfather owned?

Also are you aware of any Alfa Romeo or Hispano Suiza ever being in Hyderabad.

Last edited by wasif : 14th August 2012 at 20:26.

Most Viewed