Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2008, 23:24   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Karl, Thanks for the pic. is this car still in Bombay/ or still in India?
I have never seen the car, but had read about it in a Parsee community magazine years ago. I have no idea what happened to it.
Old 17th February 2008, 23:30   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I suppose this is the car?

Karl is this a 1930-31 Series 452-452A sixteen-cylinder Cadillac. If so is it one of the Bhawalpur twins?
Old 18th February 2008, 08:37   #78
BHPian

Quote:

The Marmon V 16 belonged to a Parsee in Bombay, but I have nothing to prove it.
yes this is a bhawalpur car.their cars were released recently after being locked up for decades due to family litigation, some have already found their way west. i have seen pics of what was in their garages, and if i were given a chance to pick just one car , a V16 would NOT be it....
Old 18th February 2008, 10:17   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
yes this is a bhawalpur car... some have already found their way west. i have seen pics of what was in their garages, and if i were given a chance to pick just one car , a V16 would NOT be it....
Awini thanks for the info. So what other cars did they have? what about the other V16? Do they still have one of the twin V16? do you have any pics of these cars?
Old 19th February 2008, 13:05   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Karl, saw a nice article about you on the Internet... okay now the question is...where did you come across this photo.. cos there must be more photos of the Nawab's many cars.. also kinda strange someone coloured the BWP of the number plate Red. The Nawab of Bahawalpur had a nice collection...with a lot of Rolls'...one of them a 1924 Rolls Royce 'Silver Ghost' which they say was used by Lord Mountbatten and Quaid-e-Azam M.A. Jinnah on some journeys.
Old 19th February 2008, 16:39   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karl, saw a nice article about you on the Internet... okay now the question is...where did you come across this photo.. cos there must be more photos of the Nawab's many cars.. also kinda strange someone coloured the BWP of the number plate Red. The Nawab of Bahawalpur had a nice collection...with a lot of Rolls'...one of them a 1924 Rolls Royce 'Silver Ghost' which they say was used by Lord Mountbatten and Quaid-e-Azam M.A. Jinnah on some journeys.
Im not too sure, but I think I got the photos from the Vintage car club of Pakistan website. It has a treasure trove of photographs, even of Indian cars.Isnt that great?

Bahwalpur had a phenomenal 540K coupe, in timewarp condition, now in the states. Let me dig up some photos.
Old 19th February 2008, 19:02   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
The Punjab connection : 1930, Maharaja Bhupinder Singh

The Bharatpur connection : Maharaja of Bharatpur

The Patiala connection : Maharaja of Patiala

The Alwar connection : Maharaja Jay Singh of Alwar
quite a surprising thing!!

all of them thought of putting them as the garbage trucks!!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 19th February 2008 at 19:04.
Old 19th February 2008, 21:49   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Im not too sure, but I think I got the photos from the Vintage car club of Pakistan website. It has a treasure trove of photographs, even of Indian cars.Isnt that great?Let me dig up some photos.
Yes you're quite right... thats a great site they have there. Thanks in advance
Old 20th February 2008, 09:38   #84

Cars of the Maharajahs

I'm the compiler/keeper of the "Cadillac Database" that includes a vast section relating to sixteen-cylinder Cadillacs. I am interested in any information and photos that Team-BHP might have about Cadillacs owned or previously owned by Maharajahs and other Indian potentates. You can visit my Web site here: Non [look for the section devoted to the "Sixteens"].
__________________________________________________ _____
Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
yes this is a bhawalpur car.their cars were released recently after being locked up for decades due to family litigation, some have already found their way west. i have seen pics of what was in their garages, and if i were given a chance to pick just one car , a V16 would NOT be it....
Old 20th February 2008, 10:37   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the Bahwalpur 540K. This car was offered for sale on ebay some time back, and this is what I can recollect from the description.

Completely original, the car had covered a genuine documented 5395 miles. Still in original paint, Engelbert tyres, headliner, carpets, door panels etc. Only the seat bottoms were redone in the 60s. The car was exported in the 60s from the family to Germany. The German continued to maintain the car in timewarp condition, and he was offering it for sale in the USA recently, making it a genuine 2 owner car.

Isnt it amazing how long an original high quality paint job can last if well looked after?

Old 20th February 2008, 10:43   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veesixteen View Post
I'm the compiler/keeper of the "Cadillac Database" that includes a vast section relating to sixteen-cylinder Cadillacs. I am interested in any information and photos that Team-BHP might have about Cadillacs owned or previously owned by Maharajahs and other Indian potentates. You can visit my Web site here: Non [look for the section devoted to the "Sixteens"]
I have been visiting the site for years, thats quite an impressive collection, I have spent hours at a time going through it. Perhaps you can now contact the original owners family to piece together some more details.

Where is the car presently?
Old 20th February 2008, 11:35   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the Bahwalpur 540K.

Where is the car presently?
Karl,
Awesome pics of the Bahwalpur 540K. Thanks... do you have any pics of the cars in the Nawab's Garages...before the auction?

Where is which car??? The Cadillac V 16 of the Nawab???
Old 20th February 2008, 12:44   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karl,
Awesome pics of the Bahwalpur 540K. Thanks... do you have any pics of the cars in the Nawab's Garages...before the auction?

Where is which car??? The Cadillac V 16 of the Nawab???
Those are all the pics I have. Most of the V 16 pics that I put up were from the above mentioned database.

Im curious to know the present status of the V 16, where it is, who owns it, and what colour she is in now!

Off Topic- Will we meet on Sunday at the Kalaghoda rally?
Old 20th February 2008, 14:23   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those are all the pics I have. Im curious to know the present status of the V 16, where it is, who owns it, and what colour she is in now!

Off Topic- Will we meet on Sunday at the Kalaghoda rally?
Karl
check the Dawn...
BAHAWALPUR: Auction of Nawab's cars fetches Rs10m -DAWN - Local; 10 May, 2004
BAHAWALPUR: Auction of Nawab's articles delayed yet again -DAWN - Local; 26 April, 2004

Awini mentioned that there were twin V 16's so if one is the photo you put up, then the other is mentioned in
V16 survivors, custom jobs

in your web browser do a find on - Van den Plas [Belgium]

and you will notice a write up and see a couple of photos of a V 16's.

Now when you read the first like it says a Cadillac car was purchased by Azizur Rashid Abbasi (perhaps the Photo you posted) but also mentions that 4 Rolls Royce, Cadillac (perhaps the car posted on the above database) and Jaguar could not be auctioned owing to a high court stay order.
Regarding photos...I have come across a few of the Nawab's other cars in the garages similar to the one you posted. I'm waiting for Awini to post some to check if they're the same

Off Topic- much as I want to very difficult cos of society meeting...but I hope to catch it passing by in bandra
Old 20th February 2008, 18:44   #90
Senior - BHPian

Karl,
in my previous post...4 Rolls should read 1 Rolls Royce

another thing.... are you sure the Nawab of Bhawalpur had a 540k.... and not a 500 K Mercedes Benz from 1936/7 with a body by Barker.???

Most Viewed