Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2012, 00:26   #181
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pranlal Bhogilal Collection - Auto World - Dasthan - Kathwada - Gujarat

Not sure whether Azam Jah's Packard survived. It possibly is a custom Packard where the vents were specified?
Old 28th June 2012, 02:24   #182
Zed
BHPian

The museum at Mulhouse has a superb collection - an aficionado could spend days in there and still feel the need for more time to soak in the sights and history of the autos on display. The cars appeared superbly restored to my untrained eyes.

Judging by photographs in this thread some of the cars from Mr Bhogilal's collection look a bit overdone. Im no expert on vintage \ classics.
Old 28th June 2012, 10:07   #183
BHPian

Interesting discussion on Pranlal and his cars. He bought many cars, was gifted many more, and recieved some in his capacity as the VCCCI president. Those were cars donated to the club and not an individual. Sadly, many who donated their family cars to the club died regretting their decision as the cars were neither transferred to the name of the club, nor were they displayed in the VCCCI museum as promised. i WONDER WHAT THE FATE OF THOSE CARS IS?
Old 28th June 2012, 10:40   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Interesting discussion on Pranlal and his cars. He bought many cars, was gifted many more, and recieved some in his capacity as the VCCCI president. Those were cars donated to the club and not an individual. Sadly, many who donated their family cars to the club died regretting their decision as the cars were neither transferred to the name of the club, nor were they displayed in the VCCCI museum as promised. i WONDER WHAT THE FATE OF THOSE CARS IS?
Can you name a few of theses cars that were donats ? Maybe then they can be traced and we can understand who was the beneficiary of these noble donations !
Old 28th June 2012, 17:26   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The two Packards are indeed very similar but must be different cars ....its kind of hard to dispence with a cowl vent perfectly.

And the "Berar" car looks like it has chrome wheels and bonnet sides
I just noticed in the 1st and 3rd pictures that Harit had posted, the car does indeed have chromed wheels / spare and what looks like a faded polished aluminum / chrome bonnet.

In the side view, they have all mysteriously turned "painted aluminium"
Old 28th June 2012, 17:32   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Not sure whether Azam Jah's Packard survived. It possibly is a custom Packard where the vents were specified?
I believe it does survive in and may be shown at Pebble Beach this year in the Maharajah Class
Old 28th June 2012, 17:33   #187
Senior - BHPian

Re: Berar Packard ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Sorry for the back to back posts. Just dug out the "Berar" Packard posted before. They look awfully similar to me......except for some differences on the valance / running board and the missing cowl vent.

Attachment 947702

Attachment 947703
Wow! What a picture it is except for the loss of the poor striped cats.

Amazing and interseting packard pictures all around, and some good gyan on the automotive heritage of India. Glued
Old 28th June 2012, 19:59   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
I believe it does survive in and may be shown at Pebble Beach this year in the Maharajah Class
I tend to agree with you Wasif. Just received a copy of the "Pebble Beach Insider" magazine. There is an article by / quoting John Fasal. Some of the cars featured are:

Berar Packard
"Swan Car" - ex Nabha
Rewa Daimler 45
and surprise - the Nawanagar Bugatti Type 46 (?) - with the lightning stripes
Jodhpur Vauxhall 30/98 Boattail (claims it is one of 3 supplied)

They wouldn't just feature these cars - however no specific mention that they are to be shown this year! And no entries list either.

Shall wait and see
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2012, 18:20   #189
BHPian

Wasif, I am aware of a lanchester, MK5 jaguar, Morris minor/ hindustan, a two door studebaker stationwagon, etc having been donated to the VCCCI by owners now deceased.Where the cars are, now I do not know. They were handed over to Pranlal in his capacity as President for the museum. Now? No museum, No trace of the cars. In fact I wonder if VCCCI records have ever shown donated cars in their Assets register? Since Pranlal was the president till his demise, can someone speak to his family and get any info on VCCCI its activities, powers etc? Also not known to me at least, where all the donated material like books, shop manuals and lots of other stuff is ? I hope it is preserved and accessible to all and not only to VCCCI members? I am sure a lot of enthusiasts would welcome an oppurtunity to browse and increase their knowledge.

Last edited by Bulldogji : 29th June 2012 at 18:21.
Bulldogji is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th June 2012, 19:17   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasif, I am aware of a lanchester,......

I hope it is preserved and accessible to all and not only to VCCCI members? I am sure a lot of enthusiasts would welcome an oppurtunity to browse and increase their knowledge.
Well, there was also the 1927 or so Fiat water tender donated by RWITC, which I believe has rotted away, then there was a 1920's Dodge Brothers tourer BMW 2030 donated by a Poonawalla family from Pune, car was lying around in Ahmedabad and lost a lot of parts including the head.

Lots of paperwork, parts, magazines etc. which were donated were kept at Nanbhoy Mansion on PM Road, but that is none of our business, maybe it's only for the 20 or so people who are specially privileged hand picked members.

harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2012, 13:34   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster789 View Post
.............Amongst the many things we talked about was the potential of him "returning" a particular car to a family that had sold it to him many years before. The car was lying unused and I think, much worse for wear than when it was sold to him. Obviously, the family was willing to pay the market value but he was unwilling to sell any of his collection he told me, saying the family could "always visit" the car whenever they wanted. I explained that they wanted to bring the car back to life and use it, not look at it as a museum piece, but it's sitting in D****n still. It hasn't moved in years being in the same place all three times I went. I would add, that I am not criticising him at all - the car (and cars) was/were his property and it was entirely his perogative to do what he wished with them..............
Quote:
Wasif, I am aware of a lanchester, MK5 jaguar, Morris minor/ hindustan, a two door studebaker stationwagon, etc having been donated to the VCCCI by owners now deceased.Where the cars are, now I do not know. They were handed over to Pranlal in his capacity as President for the museum. Now? No museum, No trace of the cars. In fact I wonder if VCCCI records have ever shown donated cars in their Assets register? ..........
I wonder if it's that Invicta that was wanted back by the family? Many were surprised when it changed ownership. Some folks sold their cars to him when they felt that they could not look after a certain car and felt that he was the right man. Dr. Mehta was my doctor who sold his Airflow to Pranlal, when I asked him about it this is what he had said.

I had heard that a few Parsi's gifted their cars to Pranlal, this was to Pranlal and not to the club. Club cars were kept by the current President, the Dodge Brothers, the Fiat truck etc. I was told that the Fiat truck was given to the club when it was scheduled to be auctioned off and Pranlal spoke to the RWITC management. Then the truck was donated, and it was kept in some factory in Goregaon, then had to be shifted, no idea where it is now.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:36   #192
BHPian

Many people were curious to know the fate of Pranlals cars post his departure. I am told that they will soon be given one by one to a restorer to be spruced up. I believe the first car may well be a 20/ 25 Rolls, if I am not mistaken, GTK 41. Of course I am subject to correction. If memory serves me correct, this car is a tourer with a boatish rear end.
Bulldogji is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 13:47   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Many people were curious to know the fate of Pranlals cars post his departure. I am told that they will soon be given one by one to a restorer to be spruced up. I believe the first car may well be a 20/ 25 Rolls, if I am not mistaken, GTK 41. Of course I am subject to correction. If memory serves me correct, this car is a tourer with a boatish rear end.
Hope the restorer dockets the cars as so many of them have never been opened also for reference for some of us. Are these all the cars or the ones for cartier as mentioned earlier

Cheers
kasli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 14:01   #194
BHPian

Kasli, Since you know the restorer perhaps you can request him, of course with the family"s consent. Your being close to the family, that should not be a problem. In fact you should be able to give us better up- dates
Old 26th July 2012, 12:15   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

BHPian moralfibre stumbled upon this link about Mr. Bhogilal, obviously a much older article, mentioning him to be 55 years old. Interesting to see the Daimler in a single tone of bright blue.

Mr. Bhogilal's Used Car Lot |*Mark Ginsburg Media
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks