Team-BHP - Pranlal Bhogilal Collection - Auto World - Dasthan - Kathwada - Gujarat
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   Pranlal Bhogilal Collection - Auto World - Dasthan - Kathwada - Gujarat (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/28055-pranlal-bhogilal-collection-auto-world-dasthan-kathwada-gujarat-15.html)

Another set of pics from the collection.:)

@Mods: Sorry for the back-to-back posts, I already reached the max limit of uploading pictures in the previous post.

Last set of pics from the collection.:)

I wish the Invicta would have been there on display as well. I was really looking forward to see it, but maybe next time !!

@Mods: Sorry for the back-to-back posts, I already reached the max limit of uploading pictures in the previous post.

Thanks, many of these cars have not been pictured in the Auto World setting before.

Did you get any snaps of those historic pictures on the wall ? That in itself would be interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 3707372)
Thanks, many of these cars have not been pictured in the Auto World setting before.

Did you get any snaps of those historic pictures on the wall ? That in itself would be interesting.

I know this is sheer injustice, but I had limited time and had to reach Udaipur from Pune before nightfall that day. So even though I wanted to spend more time at Auto World, I couldn't do so. Apologies for not clicking the historic pictures, infact I forgot to take better pictures of some iconic cars, like the Lancia Di Lambda. But I will be visiting this place again, maybe a half day's trip so that I can click more pictures and know more about the history of the cars. Also hope to see the Invicta next time !

Had clicked almost all of them from the museum back in October 2013 when we drove to Ahmedabad. Here's the link in case you are interested. :)

Its good to see that so many of these beauties have survived due to the foresight of the collector and also that the public has access to see them. However I can't help feel that somehow many classic car enthusiasts who love driving such cars have been deprived the pleasure of owning and driving these beauties who have been locked up here. What I wouldn't do to get my hands on one of those caddys, lincolns or packards...

Quote:

Originally Posted by manishk123 (Post 3993792)
Its good to see that so many of these beauties have survived due to the foresight of the collector and also that the public has access to see them. However I can't help feel that somehow many classic car enthusiasts who love driving such cars have been deprived the pleasure of owning and driving these beauties who have been locked up here. What I wouldn't do to get my hands on one of those caddys, lincolns or packards...

At the time these cars were bought, very few people wanted to drive them, even on sundayslol:
Fuel prices had gone up, spares, even tyres were not available easily, and we had no internet to source parts.

Privy purses were abolished, thereby impoverishing our poor Maharajas,who sold them by the dozen, quite frankly those days these cars were considered as liabilities and people were eager to get rid of them.

I have my own opinion about Pranlal and his restorations and attitude,but all said and done, he must be given credit for at least ensuring that these cars were neither scrapped nor exported.

Had it not been for him, many of the cars you see in the museum would not be around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulldogji (Post 3994215)
At the time these cars were bought, very few people wanted to drive them, even on sundayslol:
Fuel prices had gone up, spares, even tyres were not available easily, and we had no internet to source parts.

Privy purses were abolished, thereby impoverishing our poor Maharajas,who sold them by the dozen, quite frankly those days these cars were considered as liabilities and people were eager to get rid of them.

I have my own opinion about Pranlal and his restorations and attitude,but all said and done, he must be given credit for at least ensuring that these cars were neither scrapped nor exported.

Had it not been for him, many of the cars you see in the museum would not be around.

Completely agree with you Sir, hence my statement began with a praise for the foresight of Late Mr. Bhogilal.

Please educate me. Where is the "Auto World"?
I thought Mr. Bhogilal was from Mumbai.
Thank you!
Sudhakar

Quote:

Originally Posted by manishk123 (Post 3994420)
Completely agree with you Sir, hence my statement began with a praise for the foresight of Late Mr. Bhogilal.

Rashid Bhai was the same for Hyderabad cars none in his collection would have probably made it left on their own.

Hello Guys, we are planning to visit Auto World this month. Wanted to check if this is open on weekends too? We were wondering whether to drive down to Ahmedabad or go by train. There are 3 of us who would be going from Mumbai - and all 3 of us know to drive. So we either do a 3hr drive each on Fri night - visit Auto World on Sat - drive back to Mumbai on Sat evening. Or travel by train and use a Uber / Ola for local runabout.

Quote:

Originally Posted by v12 (Post 4439770)
Hello Guys, we are planning to visit Auto World this month. Wanted to check if this is open on weekends too? We were wondering whether to drive down to Ahmedabad or go by train. There are 3 of us who would be going from Mumbai - and all 3 of us know to drive. So we either do a 3hr drive each on Fri night - visit Auto World on Sat - drive back to Mumbai on Sat evening. Or travel by train and use a Uber / Ola for local runabout.

Hi v12,
The museum is open even on weekends from 8 am till 9 pm. Driving down makes more sense now because you can go around anywhere at ease & the car museum is in the outskirts of the city. Especially, after the Bharuch flyover work complete drive from BOM - AMD & back is a breeze now.

Who is the coachbuilder of the silver Rolls Royce with license plate 'MMD 1922' ? (pics on the 1st post of this page)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vince33 (Post 4570425)
Who is the coachbuilder of the silver Rolls Royce with license plate 'MMD 1922' ? (pics on the 1st post of this page)

That is a 20hp Hooper roadster #85K6.

So finally after almost a year of planning, we finally visited Auto World last week. The first time I saw Mr Pranlal Bhogilal's car was in an auto show more than 2 decades ago. It was a full black "Sedanca De Ville" body style (where the drivers section was exposed & the passenger section was enclosed) Rolls Royce - which I believe was a Phantom. The paint work on the car was very dull, the chrome had faded - it looked like a very tired Rolls. But even in that state, it looked so majestic. All other modern cars there couldn't even dare stand up against it. The reason I know that the car belonged to Mr Pranlal Bhogilal (and that it was a Phantom) is due to a placard placed against it. Both the names registered in my mind, brain and heart. Then came the Business Standard Motoring magazines who used to always carry an article on a vintage / classic car or bike. And there was one year, or maybe 2, where they covered almost most of Mr Bhogilal's exotic collection. Most of them were either Rolls Royce or Bentleys. All of the articles never failed to mention his residential mansion "Daskot" at Malabar Hill. All of the cars never failed to make a mention the names that he had lovingly given to his cars - either after people or states or gods & goddesses. The one that I read about first and the only one that has been registered in my head is the Bentley Durga - I believe it was a Bentley 4 1/2 litre blower. It was a shiny black car with the supercharger in front painted in red. It looked very fierce just like the most powerful goddess Durga and hence named as such. Mr Bhogilal had a penchant for naming his cars is what we were told by the caretaker at the museum. We did take a lot of pics at the museum - but most of the pics are already posted here. So will not repost.

What I will post is some statistics and facts and trivia thag we gathered as we were guided through.

Auto World contains 117 motorcars (including 3 motorcycles) from 6 countries across 2 continents and 48 manufacturers.

Interesting Car Names