Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2009, 17:35   #106
AVR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Interesting anecdotes. Your father would collect these cars I presume? What other classics did he own? Do make a contribution to this thread if you can

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ly-s-cars.html
Thanks Karlosdeville! My dad used to usually keep one antique car at a time to keep him busy on sundays!

Some of the cars Dad owned in an approx chronological order include
1) Chrysler Town and Country - the one that you see in the pics below (Pre-80s) - Pranlal Bhogilal
2) Willys LHD - original condition - till 1987 - No clue
3) Humber Super Snipe 1987 - 1990 - Pranlal Bhogilal
4) Plymouth Stationwagon 1950 - Now sold in Bangalore
5) Land Rover Series III 1993-1999 - No clue
6) Austin 1937 - Now sold in Jaipur

You've got me started on looking for the pics (if any) and will do so soon!

Cheers,
AVR
Old 29th June 2009, 22:57   #107
BHPian

Would love to see the collection, thanks for the address neopats.
Old 1st July 2009, 00:58   #108
BHPian

My pictures from the collection in Ahmdabad:
Picasa Web Albums - Santaji - Vintage car c...
Old 19th September 2009, 17:20   #109
Senior - BHPian

There was an artical here some time this week in the newspaper about Mr.Bhogilal's collection.Will try and find it and scan it.

P.s. was in the HT
Old 4th October 2009, 10:41   #110
BHPian

Looks like an awesome collection, but the fancy paint job is heartbreaking.

I wonder why no one mentioned the car museum in Dharmasthala (Karnataka), owned by the Heggade family. They may not have as many cars (believe me, they have a lot of cars there too) but all of them are said to be in driveable condition. All cars have the key in ignition, and there are no fancy paint jobs either. But sadly they don't allow one to take photographs inside the museum, instead sell booklets with photographs of pathetic quality.
Old 4th October 2009, 11:22   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
I wonder why no one mentioned the car museum in Dharmasthala (Karnataka), owned by the Heggade family.

Hi Pjay_in,

Look here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...rmasthala.html
Old 5th October 2009, 14:39   #112
BHPian

Thanks Girish. I had missed that one.
Old 15th October 2009, 16:21   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

From here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I present to you a video that I suspect will be extremely popular. In this video we travel past Ahmedabad towards Himmatnagar and beyond.

On the way (as the story goes) we stop at the Pranlal Bhogilal estate.

All 104 cars featured in this estate are present in this video.

Yup, you read it right. Our little gift to Team-BHP.

ENJOY!

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 15th October 2009 at 16:26.
Old 15th October 2009, 16:49   #114

That was like watching paint dry..
Old 18th October 2009, 12:01   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
From here
Thanks for sharing Sam. That place truly is an Aladin's cave.
Old 19th October 2009, 11:09   #116
BHPian

The picture of the chassis in page 6 may be that of a Ford Model T. the transverse front and rear springs look very Ford-like. Did it have a huge bell housing and a gearbox that was very short? Then thats a planetary gearbox, which was fitted on Ford Ts.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:27   #117
Senior - BHPian

Vintage Bottled UP Beauties

BOTTLELD UP CARS- A VINTAGE SHOW.
Vintage Car Museum, Dastan Estae, S.P. Ring road, Kathwada, Ahmedabad, Ph: 079 22820699, email: dasco@vsnl.com

Pranlal Bhogilal Collection -  Auto World - Dasthan - Kathwada - Gujarat-dsc00298.jpg

Last month a friend, Herb from Australia asked me, "Have you seen the Vintage Car Museum at Ahmedabad?" I asked him, "Are you sure it's in Ahmedabad?". He said, "Oh... ya....saw some pictures from a friend, they're classy". Told him sheepishly, "I'll find out and give you a report". Can't really admit I don't know, can I?

26-01-2010: Having given the word I needed to check out and asked a couple of friends, they all said, its out somewhere, many did not know exact location. Hit the web, sure enough, many url's, so took out directions from one site, called up the place to find it out if it's open and set out with my younger son who is also a great car enthusiast.

The direction on the internet said, 3 toll booths, 3 KMs from power grid, got the board on the right side of the road which said "Vintage Car Museum and Restaurant",(no arrows indicating where to turn) went down the road for another 4 kms, asked an auto and he said, "Sir Aaapp peecha mudna mangta hai"!!!! U turn and came back near the same board, well...... the museum is bang oppisite the big board, set inside!!!! So I'm attaching the exact logs so that nobody would go round and round again.

It's a sprawling place with a restaurant, a museum a children's park, nice for a family outing on a hiliday. The entrance fee for a person is Rs.50/- and Rs.100 for a still camera.

Inside an estate named "Dastan", "Auto Word" is one of the largest private collection of more than 100 vintage cars. Built with care over many years by Bhogilal family, mostly by Mr.Pranlal Bhogilal, a mill owner and a great car enthusiast, this gem of a museum has world famous badges, some of them extinct, some still ticking like Rolls Royce, Bently, Daimler, Langondas, Mercedes, Maybach, Packards, Cadillacs, Buicks, Auburns, Cord, lancians, Lincolns, Chrystlers. Most of them were custom built by renowned coach builders like Hooper, Baker, Gurney-Nutting, Fleetwood, Laboran for individual specifications.

Some of these beauties are Limos, open tourers, convertibles, station wagons with special equipments like search lights for hunting; one even had a special generator for the purpose!!!! There's also a section for horse carriages and a couple of bikes.

The one I fell in love is the "Indian", a cousin of the one that broke the land speed record in Salt Lake, Utah, USA, by 60+ year old Burt Munro, later filmed as a hair-raising adventure filmm "World's Fastest Indian".

Pranlal Bhogilal Collection -  Auto World - Dasthan - Kathwada - Gujarat-dsc00251.jpg

A teaser picture of the Museum, have 125 more, pictures of classic bottled up babes.....

A collecter from US offered 15Cr for this rare beauty, but was not sold!!!

Pranlal Bhogilal Collection -  Auto World - Dasthan - Kathwada - Gujarat-1-maybach.jpg

A 1947 Damler, still gleaming, manly and authoritative.
Pranlal Bhogilal Collection -  Auto World - Dasthan - Kathwada - Gujarat-dsc00139.jpg
Attached Files
File Type: xls Abad-Vintage car museum-Jan-09.xls (23.0 KB, 438 views)

Last edited by ramkya1 : 26th January 2010 at 22:42.
Old 26th January 2010, 22:49   #118
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...a-gujarat.html
I believe there is already a thread on this. You may also find photos and a video on Sam Kapasi' Nano ride from mumbai to Delhi thread. Maybe you can merge your pics with the thread above
Old 26th January 2010, 23:40   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...a-gujarat.html
I believe there is already a thread on this. You may also find photos and a video on Sam Kapasi' Nano ride from mumbai to Delhi thread. Maybe you can merge your pics with the thread above
deutscheafrikar: Thanks a million for the quick pointer and the URL. That thread has covered the Museum beautifully and the discussions have brought out many side-stories too, IMO subject thrashed enough.

Loading more pictures on the same subject would be an overkill, so I'm not going to use up valuable space and time. I think my logs would be useful for prospective visiters to find the place.

======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 26th January 2010 at 23:44.
Old 27th January 2010, 00:03   #120
Senior - BHPian

Visited the Pranlal Bhogilal place today, was going to load all my 150+ Pictures again in another thread, fortunately deutscheafrikar quickly pointed me to this thread which has discussed the subject thoroughly.

Had difficulty finding the place so I am loading the logs to the place for those who may find it useful.

karlosdeville, you have done an awesome job of compilation, this thread is a gem.

-----
Attached Files
File Type: xls Abad-Vintage car museum-Jan-09.xls (23.0 KB, 425 views)

Most Viewed