Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2008, 15:31   #91
BHPian

WOW KARL
this is a visual treat
lovely pics
its been 2 months i'm planning to go there but i aint getting any time and company....
boy this is place to be.

about the triumph mayflower
i just saw one 2 days back outside team motors
its undergoing restoration and its been ripped off completely
but i'm sure it'll be ready in some days.

wow man good job karl
appreciate your efforts of posting these lovely pics.
u've been there ?
Old 20th July 2008, 15:35   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
I can agree with the bit about not getting wiped from memory, but made more practical- in what sense??
like the silver painted bumpers instead chrome. the hubcaps etc more practical. one gets stolen you can replace it easily.
Old 20th July 2008, 17:46   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely assortment of cars and even a bike or two, its kudos to Mr Pranlal Bhogilal who has managed to exhibit his fleet for public viewing. The originality of these cars notwithstanding, the collection is awesome and truly commendable.
Nice work by the BHPians who have posted these photos.
Old 20th July 2008, 23:21   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jubin View Post
appreciate your efforts of posting these lovely pics.
u've been there ?
Nope, I havent visited the place yet, a friend did go a few months back and got these photos to share, so credit to him!
Old 20th July 2008, 23:56   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A convertible A 40 coupe. Should be quite rare methinks.

A 1957 (?) Dodge Kingsway.
You may have seen this pic. I uploaded of a similar A 40 convertible that was in use as a wedding car for my parents' marriage in 1969:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/890354-post152.html

Curiously both these cars happen to be a LHD! Or could it be the same car??

And I remember seeing pics. of yet another similar car in your engineering college campus? Formerly used by the Army? Although 'cant recall if that too was an LHD.

The Kingsway should be a '56 model.

Also thanks for the Herald pic.! Although not too happy with the accessory fittings (hubcaps are later Triumph Vitesse ones and indicators a local accessory) on the car!

Last edited by Stanher : 20th July 2008 at 23:58.
Old 27th July 2008, 14:48   #96
BHPian

just been there yesterday
ya i'm safe ........... the pics and cars are the same which karl had earlier posted
if u guys say i can still post

guys....lets just pray for peace in ahemdabad.
may the god almighty give peace
Old 10th September 2008, 11:57   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Some lovely shots of some of the cars can be found here

Flickr: Fosbury Flop's Photostream
Old 4th October 2008, 00:49   #98
BHPian

Maybe this is here already maybe not
Embedding is disabled so just copy paste into your browser address bar.

http://uk.
youtube.com/watch?
v=PqbS0CvuUOo
Old 4th October 2008, 09:53   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Maybe this is here already maybe not
Embedding is disabled so just copy paste into your browser address bar.

http://uk.Youtube.com/watch?
v=PqbS0CvuUOo
Nice to see the cars on the road. This does appear to be an older video though.
Old 30th December 2008, 19:24   #100

Been there

Guys, I went to Auto World at Dastan Farms. Lovely collection. Its a must see...

I faced some problems finding the address and getting there. So here are the directions and address for getting there...

Address:
Auto World,
Dastan Farms,
Kathwada,
Sardar Patel Ring Road,
Ahmedabad.
Ph. 079-22820699 (Mods please remove it if its against the forum rules, I called them up to ask for directions. And they were happy to guide me)

Directions from Sarkhej-Gandhinagar Highway (SG Highway) :

From SG Highway, turn right after Nirma University to get onto SVP Ring Road,
Keep going straight for some 20 kms passing 3 toll booths - Bhat, Tragad and Ranasan.
Keep going straight after Kathwada circle for about 1 km.
You'll see a hoarding on left. Turn right at that hoarding to enter Dastan Farms.

Timings : 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM. They have a recess in between but they let us watch during that time.

Fees : Rs. 50 per person, Rs. 100 per camera (even if u use a mobile camera).

Food : A restaurant serves snack food and Gujarati thali. Good food at normal price.

Hope it helps you guys.
Old 31st December 2008, 09:20   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopats View Post
Fees : Rs. 50 per person, Rs. 100 per camera (even if u use a mobile camera).

Hope it helps you guys.
This is just what we needed, thanks a tonne. Glad to know cameras are officially allowed as well.
Old 31st December 2008, 19:15   #102

Quote:
This is just what we needed, thanks a tonne. Glad to know cameras are officially allowed as well.
They issue a seperate printed ticket for the camera.

If you visit, either reach there at around 9 AM, watch the museum and then have lunch or go at around 1 PM, have lunch there and then watch the museum. I'm not sure about the recess time and whether or not they will allow you to watch the collection. Just ask them before you get in. There are hardly any people coming there. We saw only 12-15 people come there, spending no more than 30-40 minutes to see the entire collection. We took 3 hours...

Talk to the staff properly and ask them questions, and ask them to show u the important/famous cars. They are lazy people and wont talk unless u show some interest by asking questions. The main incharge there told us "If we had known you would take such a long time, we wouldnt have let u in"... He wanted us to see all the 105 cars in 30 minutes and get out so that he and his people could rest...
Old 25th June 2009, 11:35   #103
AVR
BHPian

This one was sold by my dad to Pranlal Bhogilal - am a bit hazy on the details of the restoration as I wasn't born then but dad had shown it to me. It used to be in Bombay earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Chrysler Convertible - apologies - lost the details, am sure Ram can fill us in !

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
Thats a 1946-48 Chrysler Town and Country Woody Convertible. Very rare and I know of another one in Bombay (at least used to be in Bombay) with another private collector.
These woodies were made from 1946 and were note worthy for incorporating wooden trim on coupes and convertibles. Wood trim was not new for either Chrysler or the other car makers but before the war, it was restricted to only estates also known as station wagons thus the name Woody Wagons. The Town and Country series remained unaltered till 1948 with a very few minute changes.

In the 1946 Town and Country models, everything from the cowl rearward except the fenders and the sedan roof, was panelled in Mahogany and trimmed with White Ash framing. For 1947 the mahogany was replaced with very realistic looking decals, although the white ash would continue.
The interior was as elegant as the exterior. Wood was also used inside, and this, combined with leather, Bedford cord fabric, and colour coordinated carpets, gave it an imperial aura of a fine luxury yatch.
Production of the Town and Country was a slow and expensive operation. Because there was no roof structure for stiffness in the convertible, reinforced body framing had to be added. This required a lot of individual hand work, as did the preparation and fitting of the wooden body parts. The result was a production rate of only about 10 bodies per day.
Of the 2,159 1946 T & Cs built, 1,935 were convertibles, riding on a long 3,238 mm (127.5 in.) wheelbase. These woody land yachts were all powered by Chrysler's big, side-valve, straight-eight, 5.3 litre, 135 horsepower engine. In the Bhogilal collection, the car seems to have wheel caps of the Plymouth/Dodge.

Old 25th June 2009, 11:44   #104
AVR
BHPian

Now this one has a very interesting history - My dad found it as a piece of junk in Saurashtra region of Gujarat in a place called Ramdhari (I think) - Was hauled over to Ahmedabad for restoration and along with a enthu mechanic-friend called Vaz they started restoring it. I was 7-8 then but watched the whole process with loads of excitement. Once it was in its full splendour (took about a year of locating parts and umpteen trips to Bbay) we used to take it out only on Sundays - I think 9-10 am when Ramayan/Mahabharat would play on DD and roads would be empty

We stayed in an apartment so was rather tough to continue keeping it especially now that it had been brought to a very good state. Eventually Pranlal Bhogilal and Dad agreed on it and it went into his collection.

Extremely powerful vehicle with I think a 6-cyl or 8-cyl engine.

Cheers,
AVR

Quote:

1946 Humber Super Snipe, ex Vallabhpur.

Attachment 30644
Old 29th June 2009, 10:44   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
This one was sold by my dad to Pranlal Bhogilal - am a bit hazy on the details of the restoration as I wasn't born then but dad had shown it to me. It used to be in Bombay earlier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR View Post
Now this one has a very interesting history - My dad found it as a piece of junk in Saurashtra region of Gujarat in a place called Ramdhari (I think) - Was hauled over to Ahmedabad for restoration

Eventually Pranlal Bhogilal and Dad agreed on it and it went into his collection.
Interesting anecdotes. Your father would collect these cars I presume? What other classics did he own? Do make a contribution to this thread if you can

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ly-s-cars.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks