Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2007, 08:19   #1
sat
BHPian

vintage car driven from india to switzerland in 60's.

I met a charming swiss family last winter, the swiss gentleman used to visit India regularly in the 50's- 60's, he got very friendly with the ex ruler of Nagod, MP. During one of his visits the ex ruler gifted him one of his vintage cars which was then driven to zurich.

Attached are some of the original pictures of the drive hosted on imageshack as per karl's request...

The family still have the car.. the son is going to get married in this car like his father did..

sat

sat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2007, 09:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

Amazing pictures sat. What car is that BTW? Jag by any chance?
Old 14th November 2007, 11:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Amazing pictures sat. What car is that BTW? Jag by any chance?
Its a 1928-29 Cadillac V8, the spotlamp stands in the middle of the running board suggest that it may have seen shikar duty...

Last edited by awini : 14th November 2007 at 12:03.
Old 14th November 2007, 13:36   #4
sat
BHPian

The cadillac was used for shikar.. I will be sending a mail to the swiss family, hoping that they will send some images of the cadillac as it is today.

Its not very clear in the photograph but in the last pic on the right, water has frozen on the fenders, look just above the tires.. thousands of people, a music bands etc came out to greet them once they drove through various towns/ cities into switzerland..

sat
Old 14th November 2007, 14:40   #5
BHPian

There is something about seeing old paper photographs that gets me all excited.

wish I could do a cross continent trip like that.
Old 14th November 2007, 14:45   #6
Senior - BHPian

Great pics mate. I get all dreamy eyed with trips like that. Some day i plan to do something like this or similar...lets see!!
Old 14th November 2007, 14:50   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a Caddy V8...one helluva monster that! The doors line up with my shoulders...on a convertible! What a journey it must have been, especially back in the day. Any recent photos of the car?

I recently heard a lovely story of a Parsee family in London in the 60s who wanted to come to Bombay for their childrens navjot, but was working out very expensive. So they bought a VW camper, drove down, renting seats for the journey along the way, and the wife cooked meals to recover costs. Im gonna do that some day

EDIT- Gogi, joining me to Turin in the Fiats? We'll stop over for the Mille Miglia
Old 14th November 2007, 14:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thats a Caddy V8...one helluva monster that! The doors line up with my shoulders...on a convertible! What a journey it must have been, especially back in the day. Any recent photos of the car?

I recently heard a lovely story of a Parsee family in London in the 60s who wanted to come to Bombay for their childrens navjot, but was working out very expensive. So they bought a VW camper, drove down, renting seats for the journey along the way, and the wife cooked meals to recover costs. Im gonna do that some day

EDIT- Gogi, joining me to Turin in the Fiats? We'll stop over for the Mille Miglia

lets first do that kashmir trip dad is planning...lol..then Mille Miglia...
Old 14th November 2007, 15:50   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am in and next to Coventry in your Standard and Wolfsburg in your VW and where in your Triumph? And yeah like your Alto says: "Lets Go"

Sorry for going off topic .
Old 14th November 2007, 19:32   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I am in and next to Coventry in your Standard and Wolfsburg in your VW and where in your Triumph? And yeah like your Alto says: "Lets Go"

Sorry for going off topic .
Happily, the Triumph and Standard both originated from Coventry...technically the Triumph came from Meridien, but im willing to overook that.
Old 14th November 2007, 20:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlos
the wife cooked meals to recover costs. Im gonna do that some day
Good,man.
Is it gonna be burfi all the way ??
Old 14th November 2007, 23:21   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Good,man.
Is it gonna be burfi all the way ??
Nope I guess it'll be an all-bawa cuisine- akoori for b'fast, dhanshak for lunch, and I guess machi no-saas for dinner!

Car looks real good...but I wonder why all the weird graffiti on it.....looks like one of those Hippie's vehicles with the heart & flower designs! 'makes John Lennon's psychedelic painted rolls look like an artistic marvel!
Old 15th November 2007, 01:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Car looks real good...but I wonder why all the weird graffiti on it.....looks like one of those Hippie's vehicles with the heart & flower designs! 'makes John Lennon's psychedelic painted rolls look like an artistic marvel!
i was wondering the same thing. the only explaination i can think of is that on the way the people from the various cities might have added their emotions on to the car in support or something. or the swiss gentleman must have put it representing the joy of his travel home.

great pictures Sat and the cadillac is a fine speciman. big powerful and a joy to drive. man i wish i had royal friends who would gift me cars? anyone listening . good to see the car has been loved for three generations and the tradition carries on.
it must have been an amazing experience to drive through cities and living the life of a nomad for sometime. the icicles on the front fender look cool.
please do ask the gentleman what did he do to stop the fuel lines from freezing over. in the 60's the roads would not even be well developed and connected. truely a remarkable feat. do ask them for pictures of the car in its current state. would love to see it.

Last edited by speedy : 15th November 2007 at 01:34.
Old 15th November 2007, 02:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow,thats really commendable! The car looks like a moving sign board,but it doesn't lack anything in its true colors.
Must have been one helluva journey.Any idea how long it took to complete?

OT: speedy..i'd consider you pretty close to 'Royal'.. Please consider me your friend..
Old 15th November 2007, 08:36   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Happily, the Triumph and Standard both originated from Coventry...technically the Triumph came from Meridien, but im willing to overook that.
guys, coventry is just a few hours drive from victoria coach station in london, and the best part is that the museum of road transport is just outside the coventry bus station...
been there, done that..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks