Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2008, 06:41   #1
BHPian

vintage cars in autoexpo 2008

Delhi members please post pictures of vintage cars displayed at Auto Expo 2008.
Old 16th January 2008, 20:15   #2
Senior - BHPian

Almost all the pics are posted here.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/2008-a...report-11.html
Old 17th January 2008, 01:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Retro Rides...

Old 17th January 2008, 02:02   #4
BHPian

Thanks a Ton

Thank you Gunbir for the pics. They were awesome, but menacing in a manner too... 'cos I have a clssic and I know how much of C#@p am going through for the resto and these pics show impeccable rides. to you and all the owners of these lovely classics.
Old 17th January 2008, 07:23   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Thank you Gunbir for the pics.
Great pics Gunbir.

Excellent cars too.

Fiat topilino 1937? Seventy years before? Unbelievable.Great work by the owners too!
Old 17th January 2008, 08:42   #6
BHPian

Excellent pictures Gunman. Keep them coming.
Old 18th January 2008, 14:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Did anyone get more pics of BRG 1? This gorgeous Gurney Nutting bodied Rolls used to be a nice deep red, looked much more royal in that shade. Though if im not mistaken, the current was the cars original shade when diplayed in a catalougue brand new. Am I right Awini?

The lines on this car are truly exquisite. I have some more pics of the car featured in an international Rolls Royce publication, I must dig them out.
Old 10th February 2008, 14:04   #8
BHPian

RR Gurney Nutting

The Gurney Nutting Rolls Royce shown above is almost certainly one the several owned by the great zamindar family of Darbhanga in North Bihar. BRG is the old Darbhanga number plate. Even as late as the 1970s they had six of them. I saw this car in cream in 1978 in New Delhi. In c. 2003 (when the car was maroon), I remember the telling the new owner about the original cream colour. I have a B+W picture of an similar Gurney Nutting RR in cream from another part of the old Bihar. I will post it if there is interest.
This car dates from between 1936-39. For Rolls experts I have a question: from the size, this looks like a 25-30 hp model; is it indeed that?
Old 10th February 2008, 22:54   #9
BHPian

yes its a 25/30, and yes it was cream till at least the early eighties. there is another similarly bodied car in kanpur, that one is blue.
Old 10th February 2008, 23:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Great Pics Gunbir.

@ stampro: Just go through the thread raised by Steeroid. Has has posted all most all the pics of 2008 vintage models in his thread. This is in auto show section. Though i'amnot able to copy the linky here.
Old 11th February 2008, 23:09   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
yes its a 25/30, and yes it was cream till at least the early eighties. there is another similarly bodied car in kanpur, that one is blue.
I took some pictures of the midnight blue 25-30hp from Kanpur at the vintage car rally in Lucknow c.1966. It was entered by Mr. Hari Bhargava. Seeing the car moving through Hazratganj on a winter evening with the hood up was something to remember. Although I didn't take pictures of all the RRs in that rally and the one the year after, to the best of my recollection, they were the following: 1932 RR Phantom II Barker-bodied sedanca de ville entered by Mr. Prithipal Singh of Sitapur; 1930 RR Phantom II sedanca de ville entered by the Raja of Tirwa (the car is still in Lucknow); 1916 RR Silver Ghost (converted from armoured car configuration by French Motor Car. Co. of Calcutta) entered by the Singhanias of Kanpur; 1918 RR Silver Ghost saloon with an aluminium body also entered by the Singhanias.
Old 13th February 2008, 00:02   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
I took some pictures of the midnight blue 25-30hp from Kanpur at the vintage car rally in Lucknow c.1966. It was entered by Mr. Hari Bhargava. Seeing the car moving through Hazratganj on a winter evening with the hood up was something to remember. Although I didn't take pictures of all the RRs in that rally and the one the year after, to the best of my recollection, they were the following: 1932 RR Phantom II Barker-bodied sedanca de ville entered by Mr. Prithipal Singh of Sitapur; 1930 RR Phantom II sedanca de ville entered by the Raja of Tirwa (the car is still in Lucknow); 1916 RR Silver Ghost (converted from armoured car configuration by French Motor Car. Co. of Calcutta) entered by the Singhanias of Kanpur; 1918 RR Silver Ghost saloon with an aluminium body also entered by the Singhanias.

Hello Chhayanat ,

It was pleasent surprise to see someone from Lucknow on the forum , welcome.

Regarding the Lucknow rally , I remember a Model T with wooden wheels in the 1968 rally , entered by a Mr. Verma from Butler Palace any idea what happened to the car.

The Sitapur Rolls left UP in the mid 80's .

The Tirwa and the Kanpur Rolls are still there.
Old 15th February 2008, 21:07   #13
BHPian

I remember the Model T but I cannot recall seeing it thereafter. The really rare car was a 1917 Perry entered by Shri Shailendra Prasad. The car was made only for a brief period. The 1911 Renault entered by Raja HND Singh of Oel was another unusual car.

Do you think this is the correct place to post pictures from that rally? The complete record of the rally would be found in the Pioneer newspaper for those years.
Old 15th February 2008, 23:30   #14
BHPian

Do you think this is the correct place to post pictures from that rally? The complete record of the rally would be found in the Pioneer newspaper for those years.[/quote]

There is thread titled "Cars in UP" in the forum .
Old 9th May 2008, 04:48   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
The Gurney Nutting Rolls Royce shown above is almost certainly one the several owned by the great zamindar family of Darbhanga in North Bihar. BRG is the old Darbhanga number plate. Even as late as the 1970s they had six of them. I saw this car in cream in 1978 in New Delhi. In c. 2003 (when the car was maroon), I remember the telling the new owner about the original cream colour. I have a B+W picture of an similar Gurney Nutting RR in cream from another part of the old Bihar. I will post it if there is interest.
Chhayanat, please do post any pictures you have. One of your old pictures is worth a thousand photos of the.... results of "restorations" conducted over the years. Gems of history probably never more to be available to so many to learn from in this brief window into India's automobile history this site is revealing these days, best posted in miscellaneous cars in India? As they are only understood and appreciated by a few unfortunately, but better by a few than none....
Your posts are unique and I really appreciate them as probably the most valuable insights into Northern India's vintage motoring history. Please reveal the depths of your memories as they can never be replaced. A respectful request from one who values your contributions greatly.

Last edited by Julian UK : 9th May 2008 at 04:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks