Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2014, 12:57   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is an "India" Cord 810 currently on EBay. Anyone know anything about this car ?

It is RHD, Serial 2662H, Engine FB1044 according to the description:

"As we are told, this Cord (Serial Number 2662H / Engine Number FB1044) was built at the Cord factory as a right-hand-drive car and shipped to India for use by the daughter of a Maharajah. Today, it still rides on Firestone 6.50x16 bias ply wide whitewall tires stamped "MADE IN INDIA." Sometime in the 1960's this car returned to the United States and was later acquired by a collector in Oregon who performed a cosmetic and mechanical restoration."
Now this is a refreshing change after a barrage of Rolls There was always talk of one being exported from Bombay, maybe it was this. And I think only the spare wheel maybe the Firestone "Gum dipped" Indian tyre.

With the opening up of imports, here is a MUST have for the discerning Indian collector.
Old 23rd June 2014, 21:44   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Now this is a refreshing change after a barrage of Rolls There was always talk of one being exported from Bombay, maybe it was this. And I think only the spare wheel maybe the Firestone "Gum dipped" Indian tyre.

With the opening up of imports, here is a MUST have for the discerning Indian collector.

Could this be the same Cord that is currently for sale?

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-bombay-cord-810.jpg

Mr. Roni Khan's article in The Veteran & Vintage mag for Jan 1969 has this caption for the picture:
"On the left is a 1936 Cord 810, owned by Daniel McNally"

Last edited by travancore : 23rd June 2014 at 21:45.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:01   #138
Senior - BHPian

Found these pics of Mitter Dusenbergs, while browsing ACD club website.
Attached Thumbnails
Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-india02duese.jpg  

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-india03.jpg  

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-india04duese.jpg  

agspins is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2014, 22:16   #139
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Found these pics of Mitter Dusenbergs, while browsing ACD club website.

These pictures are from Gautam Sen's book "Rolls Royce 17EX A Fabulous Destiny"

Last edited by travancore : 23rd June 2014 at 22:19.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2014, 09:48   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could this be the same Cord that is currently for sale?

Attachment 1253287

Mr. Roni Khan's article in The Veteran & Vintage mag for Jan 1969 has this caption for the picture:
"On the left is a 1936 Cord 810, owned by Daniel McNally"
Very likely to be the same, and that interior probably still survives in the car today. Nicely caught.
Old 10th July 2014, 12:30   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is an "India" Cord 810 currently on EBay. Anyone know anything about this car?
So the car did get sold (winning bid for is $135,000). Seems fair to me. I do hope an Indian collector bought it to repatriate.
Old 14th August 2014, 17:16   #142
BHPian

The family of late Sheikh Mukhtar Sahib, a film producer and actor of repute ( Noor Jehan fame ) has allowed me to post this picture of him reclining on his Duesenberg ( Gurney Nutting) ex-Indore and a Mercedes 540/500K in Bombay. His Cadillac V-16 Pininfarina is not in the picture.
Further details on the Mercedes will be posted as i receive them.
If Duesenberg is the king of American classic automobiles then this particular Gurney Nutting creation is undoubtedly the king of Duesenbergs.
If the Cadillac V-16 series 452 is the queen of American classic cars then surely the Pininfarina boat tail is the queen of V-16's.
A Mercedes 500/540K needs no introduction though this one is not top drawer yet a Kaiser in its own right.
All were picked up up this very knowledgeable and gentle giant of a man. he stood 6ft 3 inch and makes the big cars look human sized.
More later....
Attached Thumbnails
Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-sh-mukhtar-v16-mercedes-540k.jpg  

shyml is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 19:40   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyml View Post
The family of late Sheikh Mukhtar Sahib, a film producer and actor of repute (Noor Jehan fame) has allowed me to post this picture of him reclining on his Duesenberg (Gurney Nutting) ex-Indore and a Mercedes 540/500K in Bombay. His Cadillac V-16 Pininfarina is not in the picture.

All were picked up up this very knowledgeable and gentle giant of a man. he stood 6ft 3 inch and makes the big cars look human sized
Wow! I'm so excited, this is the stuff of dreams. We cannot thank you enough for this effort.

He certainly seemed to have been a man of taste. Now the Duesie and Cadillac we all know very well, but I had never heard of him having had this Mercedes. What's the history with the car? It doesn't seem to match with the 4 existing 500/540K cars in India. Then I was searching for some Holkar Duesie pics and chanced upon his 540K picture, and boom - we seem to have a match.

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-54002.jpg

The BYA registration implies the Duesenberg spent some time in Gujarat (maybe Ahmedabad registered). Possibly the Idar connection we heard of before?

Quote:
More later....
I'm watching this space!
karlosdeville is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th August 2014, 20:57   #144
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow! I'm so excited, this is the stuff of dreams. We cannot thank you enough for this effort.

He certainly seemed to have been a man of taste. Now the Duesie and Cadillac we all know very well, but I had never heard of him having had this Mercedes. What's the history with the car? It doesn't seem to match with the 4 existing 500/540K cars in India. Then I was searching for some Holkar Duesie pics and chanced upon his 540K picture, and boom - we seem to have a match.

Attachment 1274339

The BYA registration implies the Duesenberg spent some time in Gujarat (maybe Ahmedabad registered). Possibly the Idar connection we heard of before?

I'm watching this space!
Karl,
We have talked about the Holkar 540K before......It is a Cabriolet A by Sindelfingen, Chassis 154081

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post1492901

"One" History below - it was also a Chris Renwick export. There could be other histories, as well! It also seems to have a black steering wheel.

http://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=664031

The Duesenberg picture still begs the question I have been asking for years - were the Sunglow and Black colours reversed during its time in India ? The wings are definitely not Black!

Or maybe repainted Silver + Black ?

Shyml, thanks for this magnificent picture!

Last edited by travancore : 14th August 2014 at 21:18.
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th August 2014, 23:39   #145
BHPian

Karlosdeville
Hi
You are right. BYA was Ahmedabad.
Found this information in a post dated 4th July 2009, by Anjaan 2007. The thread containing the post is "Early registration numbers in India"
Incidentally his post is no 96 and your preceding post is no 95(same date)
Regards
Old 19th August 2014, 11:41   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Duesenberg picture still begs the question I have been asking for years - were the Sunglow and Black colours reversed during its time in India ? The wings are definitely not Black!

Or maybe repainted Silver + Black?
I had mentioned earlier that one of the period photos it shows a contrasting colour scheme, it was published in an old issue of the Indian Auto Journal I think. Maybe it was also in the Maharaja book by Manvendra Barwani, not sure. In this other picture it too shows the same scheme.

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-holkar09.jpg

Silver and black is possible, since that was the colour scheme specified for the Holkar Phantom III 3AX147 later registered MRW 6088.
karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 02:09   #147
Distinguished - BHPian

The Cord is on auction again - "Due to a non-paying bidder from India" last time

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-cord-810-1936-india-serial-2662h-engine-fb1044-ebay-sept-2014.jpg

I do not know the authenticity of the following provenance!

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-mysore-cord-810-1936-india-serial-2662h-engine-fb1044.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cord-810-Rig...US_Cars_Trucks

Last edited by travancore : 2nd September 2014 at 02:17.
travancore is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2014, 12:18   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The family of late Sheikh Mukhtar Sahib, a film producer and actor of repute ( Noor Jehan fame ) has allowed me to post this picture of him reclining on his Duesenberg ( Gurney Nutting) ex-Indore and a Mercedes 540/500K in Bombay. His Cadillac V-16 Pininfarina is not in the picture.
Quote:
Now the Duesie and Cadillac we all know very well, but I had never heard of him having had this Mercedes. What's the history with the car? It doesn't seem to match with the 4 existing 500/540K cars in India. Then I was searching for some Holkar Duesie pics and chanced upon his 540K picture, and boom - we seem to have a match.
Quote:
Karl,
We have talked about the Holkar 540K before......It is a Cabriolet A by Sindelfingen, Chassis 154081
We overlooked a previous mention of the Mukhtar Mercedes, already mentioned here by Priyo (I hope he is reading this)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vinta...ml#post3171183 (Unidentified Vintage and Classic cars in India)

Quote:
Another fine car was a Mercedes Benz, a K series convertible with chrome side exhaust, that was owned by Sheikh Mukhtar, who was an actor and film producer of the 50s-60s. This was also in a picture story in Filmfare magazine. It vanished from Bombay and many years later was resurrected in Car & Driver or Motor Trend, I am not sure which, with an interesting story as its history. It had belonged to one of the princely states, of course, and had been bought by Sheikh Mukhtar, who was a collector of cars. It had been smuggled out on an Arab dhow to the gulf and found its way thru Europe to the US where it was restored
I'd be keen to get my hands on that Filmfare copy.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2014, 20:01   #149
BHPian

Quote:
If Duesenberg is the king of American classic automobiles then this particular Gurney Nutting creation is undoubtedly the king of Duesenbergs.
If the Cadillac V-16 series 452 is the queen of American classic cars then surely the Pininfarina boat tail is the queen of V-16's.
A Mercedes 500/540K needs no introduction though this one is not top drawer yet a Kaiser in its own right.
All were picked up up this very knowledgeable and gentle giant of a man. he stood 6ft 3 inch and makes the big cars look human sized.
More later....
THANK YOU for putting picture of Sheikh Muktar with his Dusenberg. Well, I have sat in this car. This BYA 9014 is AHmedabad Registration and this is the IDAR Dusenberg as this car was purchased by my Brother Mahant Ghanshyam Nath. Not only that he had repaired and had overhauled the engine. It's sad that this car went out from my family. Worst is i cant find Photos of this Dusenberg in my house. Hope i find some day. Subodh Nath.

Last edited by Subodh Nath : 12th September 2014 at 20:04.
Subodh Nath is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th September 2014, 17:29   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subodh Nath View Post
THANK YOU for putting picture of Sheikh Muktar with his Dusenberg. Well, I have sat in this car. This BYA 9014 is AHmedabad Registration and this is the IDAR Dusenberg as this car was purchased by my Brother Mahant Ghanshyam Nath. Not only that he had repaired and had overhauled the engine. It's sad that this car went out from my family. Worst is i cant find Photos of this Dusenberg in my house. Hope i find some day. Subodh Nath.
Thanks so much, Mr. Nath.

Would you happen to know the colours at the time your family owned this magnificent piece of rolling history ? Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks