Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:23   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Harit.

The info I have posted here is from the ACD club, Chris Summers and Randy Ema are the noted authorities on these cars and this is the extent of their knowledge on cars that came to India.

There have been rumors about one or two more Duesenberg cars having been brought to India but nothing is officially confirmed on this.

If they were brought here they were obviously bought used as the ACD club has the details on all Duesenbergs sold by the company to the first owners and there is no record of any others having gone to India as new.

They however have mentioned uncoroborated reports that there was a Town Car with a European body with gold plated fittings with one of the royal families but thats about it.

Wasif
The Town Car was reportedly ex-Baroda
Old 29th July 2009, 17:13   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
One other car in India may have been a town car possibly for the Baroda family

Perhaps someone from Calcutta could clarify on the Mitter car

Hi i'm working on it will get you some results as soon as possible.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:35   #78
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Hi i'm working on it will get you some results as soon as possible.
There's some vague lead that the Mitter family member may have been a retired judge. He may have the car.
Old 29th July 2009, 17:54   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
There's some vague lead that the Mitter family member may have been a retired judge. He may have the car.
Well till what i have herd they have sold all their cars.
Old 29th July 2009, 19:21   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well till what i have herd they have sold all their cars.
Please check if they ever had a Duesenberg and if they did do they have any pictures of it. Who bought all their cars anyway.
Old 29th July 2009, 20:15   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please check if they ever had a Duesenberg and if they did do they have any pictures of it. Who bought all their cars anyway.
Well they had an Duesenberg till what i have herd from many people in calcutta.It will take some time for me to get all the info out about the car.Please think and let me know as soon aqs possible what are the things you would like to know about the car? Posted a reply on Studebaker Hawks in India check it out.
Old 30th July 2009, 11:18   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well they had an Duesenberg till what i have herd from many people in calcutta.It will take some time for me to get all the info out about the car.Please think and let me know as soon aqs possible what are the things you would like to know about the car? Posted a reply on Studebaker Hawks in India check it out.
Please get whatever info on their Duesenberg that they can give you and on what happened to the car. Is it still in existance and where it is.

Also if they are aware of any other such cars.

Any pics of their Duesenberg and if possible ther cars body / chassis/ engine numbers will be much appreciated.
Old 30th July 2009, 15:05   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please get whatever info on their Duesenberg that they can give you and on what happened to the car. Is it still in existance and where it is.

Also if they are aware of any other such cars.

Any pics of their Duesenberg and if possible ther cars body / chassis/ engine numbers will be much appreciated.

Hi well till what i gathered was that the car was used regularly till the early 50's na dthen after parked away and sometimes in the later years the car was bought by the scrap market guys don't know what happened to it after that.It is possible that the car was bought by some other collecter or was scrapped.Have asked for some pictures as soon as i get them i shall post them to you.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:04   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

This month's Auto India magazine features Diljeet Titus's collection, also showing his 1936 Auburn 851 Phaeton/boat tail (replica body). It was apparently being used in Madurai as a wedding car, then Manvendra Barwani built the boat tail body and subsequently was acquired by Titus. The job looks very convincing, especially in that trademark bright yellow hue.
Old 7th December 2009, 16:07   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This month's Auto India magazine features Diljeet Titus's collection, also showing his 1936 Auburn 851 Phaeton/boat tail (replica body). It was apparently being used in Madurai as a wedding car, then Manvendra Barwani built the boat tail body and subsequently was acquired by Titus. The job looks very convincing, especially in that trademark bright yellow hue.
What is the base for this replica.

please post some pictures
Old 7th December 2009, 16:43   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What is the base for this replica.
As I said above, it is a 1936 Auburn 851 Phaeton with an altered body accomodating a boat tail rear end.
Old 7th December 2009, 17:07   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
As I said above, it is a 1936 Auburn 851 Phaeton with an altered body accomodating a boat tail rear end.
Let me get this straight. It was a four door convertible and now it is a two door boat tailed speedster replica ?

Did they alter the length of the chassis to as the speedster is on a shorter chassis compared to teh phaeteon.

Please post pics of the said car and the said article too
Old 7th December 2009, 17:10   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Let me get this straight. It was a four door convertible and now it is a two door boat tailed speedster replica ?

Did they alter the length of the chassis to as the speedster is on a shorter chassis compared to teh phaeteon.

Please post pics of the said car and the said article too
I really don't know how it was earlier, and what the extent of changes are. I have simply quoted verbatim. I do not have the magazine with me, I saw it last week when I visited Pune, so perhaps someone else can help you.
Old 29th August 2010, 03:35   #89
tdf

My grandfather and father purchased and imported #499 into the U.S. I have all the
documentation of purchase and lading, some photos, also. Yes, the late Rick Carrol
purchased #499 from my father in 1987. I have no eye-on knowledge of it now.
tdf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2010, 10:55   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf View Post
My grandfather and father purchased and imported #499 into the U.S. I have all the
documentation of purchase and lading, some photos, also. Yes, the late Rick Carrol
purchased #499 from my father in 1987. I have no eye-on knowledge of it now.

Hey that is really cool.

Could you pleae elaborate, maybe post some copes of the paperwork and some pictures if possible.

Who sold it to them and when and where wa it shipped out of India.

Are you the son of Dr. Heubert Fisher ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks