Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 11:22   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)

There are apparently some pictures of the Mitter Family cars in their residence in Calcutta. Will go and meet them next time i am in town.
Old 15th May 2011, 12:23   #107
Senior - BHPian

This visit to the Mitters is long overdue.

It will definitely yeald a wealth of info and pictures.

Look forward to hearing what they recollect about their Duesenbergs and what happened to them.
Old 7th September 2011, 21:05   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Berar Duesenberg J-499 Car 2516

The cars of the fabulous Lyon Collection (including the Berar and Holkar cars) were recently on display

Pictures courtesy: Duesenberg

Below are some pictures of the Berar car:

---------------------------------------------------------------

Isn't it interesting that the car was already 7 years old when converted to Right Hand Drive and sold to Berar!

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-berar-duesenberg-j4992516-history.jpg

The badge says it all!

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-berar-duesenberg-j4992516-badge.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-berar-duesenberg-j4992516-frt-3q-left-large.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-berar-duesenberg-j4992516-side-left-large.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-berar-duesenberg-j4992516-cockpit-3.jpg
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 10:59   #109
Senior - BHPian

Thans for sharing. There is amazing information available on that like with superb pictures.

We finally get to see a set of pics of the Azam Jah car
Old 8th September 2011, 12:22   #110
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
We finally get to see a set of pics of the Azam Jah car
The car was used by the younger prince Mauzamjah, more specifically often by Princess Niloufer. This was confirmed to me by Yaadgar Chenoy who travelled in it once and also the picture of the car posted here earlier shows Mauzamjah and Niloufer in the car in Europe. I am sure the brothers wouldn't have shared cars
Old 8th September 2011, 12:24   #111
Senior - BHPian

Did Mr. Chenoy have any recollections on Azam Jah's Duesenberg as well ?
Old 9th September 2011, 04:23   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The car was used by the younger prince Mauzamjah, more specifically often by Princess Niloufer. This was confirmed to me by Yaadgar Chenoy who travelled in it once and also the picture of the car posted here earlier shows Mauzamjah and Niloufer in the car in Europe. I am sure the brothers wouldn't have shared cars
That is an interesting thought, DKG!

I am not sure which brother owned which car, but here is a different picture of the "other" Hyderabad / Berar Duesenberg (J-202 Murphy Convertible Sedan). It was displayed at the 1929 Olympia Show.

courtesy: Getty Images

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-hyderabad-duesenberg-j202-frt-3q-olympia-1929.jpg

How I wish it were modelled at Olympia by the impossibly beautiful Princess Durru Shewar!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Below is the picture of the same car posted earlier (Post # 22)

--------------------------------------------------------------
Fast forward 80 years into the future

Here is "J-202" as shown in www.coachbuild.com - albeit with LEFT hand drive. Look closely between the bumper eyebrows on the left and you see the J-202 number!

Fact, fantasy, illusion .........I do not know! Has she SURVIVED ????? That is not so elementary, Mr. Watson

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1

Last edited by travancore : 9th September 2011 at 04:47.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 10:22   #113
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
I am not sure which brother owned which car
In the thirties the elder brother lived in Bella Vista palace and the younger lived in Hill Fort palace so I doubt if they would have shared cars.
Old 9th September 2011, 11:02   #114
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is "J-202" as shown in www.coachbuild.com - albeit with LEFT hand drive. Look closely between the bumper eyebrows on the left and you see the J-202 number!

Fact, fantasy, illusion .........I do not know! Has she SURVIVED ????? That is not so elementary, Mr. Watson
Prem was it not confirmed that just the engine of J202 survived and eventually shipped out of India? This may be a car rebuilt from scratch?
Old 9th September 2011, 11:32   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG

Prem was it not confirmed that just the engine of J202 survived and eventually shipped out of India? This may be a car rebuilt from scratch?
Was the body still hovering in india ? Or was the car completely scrapped ?
Old 11th September 2011, 02:32   #116
BHPian

I had the honour of being invited by Gen William Lyons to his home on a Sunday in June 2010 and shown the creme de la creme of his collection.

The two best Duesenbergs in the collection had Princely India writ large over them. In my humble opinion these two are the top Duesenbergs ever. I think a lot of princes bought used cars due to ready availability and fancy of the moment. I should like to think that Princess Durre Shavur might have taken a liking to it in Paris and her husband just bought it for her.

It is also my opinion , perhaps expressed earlier also, that of all the princes of India , the Holkar had the best taste for exotic cars.

I have tried to crop out myself from the pictures where possible and may be excused where it was not possible. In one of the pictures you can see Gen Lyons discussing J-585 with Mr Moin Mukhtar, son of Sheikh Mukhtar one of the owners of the car , who accompanied me on the visit.
The Hyderabad Duesenberg is also awesome in real life. Both cars look medium sized due to superb proportions but are actually quite huge and I cannot think of these being driven casually ever. I am sure each outing must have been an occasion and a heart stopper for the driver.

I was unable to decide which was better; the Indore or the Hyderabad. If I was in a bragging mood I would pick the Hyderabad car as invariably the talk would turn to two of the most elegant ladies who picked out the style, i.e HH the Princess Durre Shevar and Ms Greta Garbo. Wonder if they ever met? If I was out to impress myself only, I would pick the Indore. The General, wise and kind, was partial to the Indore on that particular day. Good man.

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-azam-jah-duesenberg-gen-lyon-res.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-azam-jah-1.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-azam-jah-2.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-j585-1-reduced.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-j585-2-reduced.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-j585-3-reduced.jpg
shyml is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2011, 09:51   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyml View Post
I had the honour of being invited by Gen William Lyons to his home on a Sunday in June 2010 and shown the creme de la creme of his collection.
Thanks Shyml for the wonderful pictures. You are lucky indeed to have seen these magnificent machines in person!
Old 11th September 2011, 11:19   #118
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Wow what fabulous pictures! What a collection and just look how beautifully they are housed. It's such a pleasure to see cars being maintained so !

Both cars are spectacular and both by my favourite designers! I don't like the Gurney Nutting Duesy's colour combination, find it too garish but the shape is awesome.

Imagine the Darrin car with the top down, stunning. The other Darrin car if I remember correctly is without the trunk and should look prettier

Last edited by DKG : 11th September 2011 at 11:25.
Old 11th September 2011, 12:16   #119
Senior - BHPian

The engine J- 202 was exported to the US and a new car was re created around it which is what you see in these pictures on Coachbuilt.com.

The original body / frame No 2222 was brobably broken up / scrapped in India
Old 11th September 2011, 19:41   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Shyml for the wonderful pictures. You are lucky indeed to have seen these magnificent machines in person!
Shyml:
Any way to find out what the original colours of the Berar Duesenberg were ? Based on the period black and white photos, I am tempted to say white/cream and burgundy - like his RR PIII. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks