Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2012, 10:56   #121
BHPian

Re: Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)

Saw this discussion quite late in the day! I am an international contributing editor to Auto India magazine, and was based out of LA until late last year. For the November and December 2010 issue of Auto India, I did two stories on J 585 and J 499. General Lyons had allowed me the access and privilege to his astounding collection at his mansion (understatement), and I was overwhelmed to an extent I cannot put to words.

If you do get your hands on the magazine you would see centre-fold pictures of both the magnificent machines. Truth be told, those beautiful monsters were a sight to behold. I have high-res pictures of them both, some of which are not copyrighted. Let me know if anyone's interested!

P.S.: Am trying to dig out further information on the three other Duesys that made their way to India - J202 / J 196 / 7-seater limo apparently owned by Mitters. Any help would be much appreciated!
mathranik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2012, 07:23   #122
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
Any help would be much appreciated!
Apparently Randy Ema (California) has factory records of every Duesenberg manufactured. He would have all the information on Duesenbergs that came to India. You could probably do an article on him for the magazine.
Old 7th April 2012, 19:01   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this discussion quite late in the day! I am an international contributing editor to Auto India magazine,........P.S.: Am trying to dig out further information on the three other Duesys that made their way to India - J202 / J 196 / 7-seater limo apparently owned by Mitters. Any help would be much appreciated!
Two Indian Duesys well documented are J 585 and J 499.
There has always been a confusion that the Holkar Duesy went to Idar, but the Idar car was another.
Then there was supposed to be the baroda car, always heard a runour that the car was walled in a Bunglow, sometimes in Pune, sometimes in Baroda, but never really exposed.
Then the Mitter car which was scrapped and engine taken to America.
Lastly, there was supposed to be a Duesy Model A which also vanished mysteriously, stepney is available, the trunk supposed to be with a vintage car dealer, and tail lights were supposed to be on a Packard but I could not see them.
There is a real chance that the Idar Duesy is around, still somewhere on this planet.

Cheers harit
Old 8th April 2012, 12:49   #124
BHPian

Quote:
P.S.: Am trying to dig out further information on the three other Duesys that made their way to India - J202 / J 196 / 7-seater limo apparently owned by Mitters. Any help would be much appreciated!
I've been very lazy about this. Supposed to go a long time back to Mr. Mitter's residence and take snaps of framed photos of their Duessy, 540K and RR. Will do so soon and get back to you, unless you already have enough pics of that particular car.

Regards
mbz180
Old 8th April 2012, 12:59   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw this discussion quite late in the day! I am an international contributing editor to Auto India magazine, and was based out of LA until late last year. For the November and December 2010 issue of Auto India, I did two stories on J 585 and J 499. General Lyons had allowed me the access and privilege to his astounding collection at his mansion (understatement), and I was overwhelmed to an extent I cannot put to words.

If you do get your hands on the magazine you would see centre-fold pictures of both the magnificent machines. Truth be told, those beautiful monsters were a sight to behold. I have high-res pictures of them both, some of which are not copyrighted. Let me know if anyone's interested!

I am sure your articles must have been awsome....wish I could get a copy of the magazines !
Old 8th April 2012, 13:59   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180

I've been very lazy about this. Supposed to go a long time back to Mr. Mitter's residence and take snaps of framed photos of their Duessy, 540K and RR. Will do so soon and get back to you, unless you already have enough pics of that particular car.

Regards
mbz180
Pics awaited , please do and some details also
Old 25th April 2012, 18:29   #127

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Forgive me for deviating from the Duesenberg thread with a lurch. I wonder if anyone knows of any 1935/6 Auburn 851/2SC Boat Tailed Speedsters in India. I am currently compiling a brief history of theses cars, particularly right handed versions of which they are reputed to be between eight to ten examples manufactured. It’s just possible that an example escaped to India. I now own the car originally exported to the Philippines. I will be grateful for any information. When I have worked out the process, I will post an image.

Moderator Note: Formatting errors caused by copy-paste from MS Word. Please check before posting
Old 9th September 2012, 17:48   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

According to Gautam Sen's latest book on the Rolls Royce 17EX

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-w...s-royce-17-ex-
fabulous-destiny-gautam-sen.html

here are details on the 2 cars of the Mitters

One car was a Weymann bodied saloon, chassis number 2220, engine J 196. It was the 93rd J built. The old Calcutta registration was 33310.

The second car was a Murphy bodied Tourer, got from Azam Jah, chassis number 2222, engine number J 202. It was the 99th J built. The old Calcutta registration number was 41865.

Both cars were just 6 cars apart!
Old 6th November 2013, 20:44   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

While spring cleaning I came across an old issue (Dec 87) of Car & Bike International. It had a piece of the history of Duesenberg by Manvendra Barwani. Unfortunately the Indian cars are chronicled in a subsequent issue, which I do not have. A couple of pictures are thankfully included though.

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-sj01.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-sj02.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th November 2013, 20:58   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
While spring cleaning I came across an old issue (Dec 87) of Car & Bike International. It had a piece of the history of Duesenberg by Manvendra Barwani. Unfortunately the Indian cars are chronicled in a subsequent issue, which I do not have. A couple of pictures are thankfully included though.

Attachment 1162532

Attachment 1162533
Thanks Karl.

So does someone know why the dark / light colours are reversed on the Holkar Duesenberg (in the picture right before export) ?

What were the colours ?
Old 19th February 2014, 12:28   #131
Senior - BHPian

Nice video of the Holkar Duesenberg at Pebble Beach.

wasif is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 20:44   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is an "India" Cord 810 currently on EBay. Anyone know anything about this car ?

It is RHD, Serial 2662H, Engine FB1044 according to the description:

"As we are told, this Cord (Serial Number 2662H / Engine Number FB1044) was built at the Cord factory as a right-hand-drive car and shipped to India for use by the daughter of a Maharajah. Today, it still rides on Firestone 6.50x16 bias ply wide whitewall tires stamped "MADE IN INDIA." Sometime in the 1960's this car returned to the United States and was later acquired by a collector in Oregon who performed a cosmetic and mechanical restoration."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cord-810-Rig...US_Cars_Trucks

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-cord-810-1936-india-serial-2662h-engine-fb1044-frt-3q-r.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-cord-810-1936-india-serial-2662h-engine-fb1044-chassis-plate.jpg

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)-cord-810-1936-india-serial-2662h-engine-fb1044-tire-made-india.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 22nd June 2014 at 21:02.
travancore is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 21:18   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry for back to back. But seems like we have talked about this car before in Post # 101:

"Found this interesting data on Cord 810/812 cars exported to India. All were Right Hand Drive with convertible phaeton bodies.

source: Cord 810/812 The Timeless Classic by Josh B. Malks

Serial # 810 2198 H ; Engine # FB 597

Serial # 810 2203 H ; Engine # FB 1041

Serial # 810 2262 H ; Engine # FB 1044

Serial # 812 32246 H ; Engine # FC 3020

There are quite a few other RHD cars listed - not India specific. Unfortunately did not find any India pictures!"

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2304034

Unfortunately, it looks like Josh Malks passed away in October, 2013.

Last edited by travancore : 22nd June 2014 at 21:25.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2014, 23:04   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Nice video of the Holkar Duesenberg at Pebble Beach.

http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=y9fLe...&feature=share
Wasif.
Hi.
AFAIK this car was bought by Sheikh Mukhtar, the actor.
I googled for it and got this link.
http://www.adamsviews.net/1935-duese...-585-speedster
Regards
Old 23rd June 2014, 10:51   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Wasif.
Hi.
AFAIK this car was bought by Sheikh Mukhtar, the actor.
I googled for it and got this link.
http://www.adamsviews.net/1935-duese...-585-speedster
Regards
Yes he took it to Pakistan with the Orccha Caddy V 16 and then it went on to UK and then to US, if you look at the earlier posts I had traced this cars extensive travels and ownerships and posted it, very interesting.

Its now in the William Lyons Collection along with the Hyderabad Duesenberg and the Orccha Caddy was also there at one point.
wasif is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed