Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2008, 16:26   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Duesenbergs in India (Incl. Cord & Auburn)

Lets kick off this thread with whatever little I know about it. I know of 4 Duesenbergs that came to India

Two came to Hyderabad. One was a convertible coupe and the other I believe a limo. The coupe has survived and is in the US

The other two are the convertible coupe by Gurney Nutting for Maharaja of Indore and the fourth for the Maharajah of Idar.

Lets try to get as much detail as we can into this thread with pictures so it becomes a pictorial/historical record for visitors.

There are atleast 3 more cars that came to India details of which I will try to get. Would request people with info on the history of each car to relate that info here.
Old 26th February 2008, 17:07   #2
BANNED

DKG,

Good to know about your knowledge on cars.

But without actual cars and with some reports found somewhere, starting a thread, that too before your previous thread going to second page also..!

I dont know what are you trying to do.

I feel you must finish your previous post and then start something.

This post is just a carryforward of your previous post.

I feel this has to be merged with the earlier ones.
Old 26th February 2008, 21:42   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This is something I have really been waiting for - some definitve documentation on the Deuseys in India. I have previously put up what ever I knew with pics of the Holkar car, and Barwani had writted a nice piece with pics in Car & Bike magazine in the 80s on Indian Deuseys, but I will not be able to find that particular one amongst the thousands I have lying around. The Holkar Deusey is the only car I can see existing, what leads do you have on the others?

I keep hearing rumours in the collectors circle of one more junked car surviving in India, but nothing concrete.

The thread of Cars of the Maharajas contains a treasure trove of information along similar lines, but I think we can accomodate a few dedicated threads to topics of such importance.
Old 26th February 2008, 22:04   #4
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
This is something I have really been waiting for - some definitve documentation on the Deuseys in India.
Glad to hear that Karlos. We'll start with the Holkar Duesy with pictures and details of the car and its history. I have seen a picture of a car similar to the conv coupe used by Princess Niloufer in Hyderabad. We can put that on. Also I've seen a picture of the Idar car.

Basically lets have this thread document the chassis, body style and coachwork and historic details of all the cars that came to India

Last edited by Technocrat : 27th February 2008 at 15:32. Reason: Fixed Quote tag
Old 27th February 2008, 00:23   #5
BHPian

there was a saloon in calcutta, and a model A too, i forget which state owned it.. i too have heard the stories of the junk duesenberg for many years
Old 27th February 2008, 09:24   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
there was a saloon in calcutta, and a model A too, i forget which state owned it.. i too have heard the stories of the junk duesenberg for many years
If I recall an article in an old Indian journal all that was left of the Calcutta car was the engine, which again was re-exported out. Will pull out the details and post it here for reference. Would you like to document all the Lagonda's in India? Since you have one of only 2 V12's in India, you'd be the right person to write. And also cover the other car that came from the Nath family of Ahmedabad which I think is in a Delhi collection
Old 27th February 2008, 10:01   #7
BHPian

I tried searching Rootsweb for Duesenbergs and here's what I found:

"The cars of the rich reflected the ideosyncrasies or individualities of their owners. The Maharaja of Indore, for instance, who bought the last Duesenberg chassis had a Gurney Nutting roadster body built on it, with two sets of sidelights. One pair had red lenses; the other blue. "He chose these colours so that in India his loyal subjects would know that if the car passed them with red lights on, then the Maharaja was driving; and if blue, then the Maharani was at the wheel".

my 2c to this wonderful thread
ajitkommini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2008, 10:09   #8
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
with two sets of sidelights. One pair had red lenses; the other blue. "He chose these colours so that in India his loyal subjects would know that if the car passed them with red lights on, then the Maharaja was driving; and if blue, then the Maharani was at the wheel".
Ajit apparently this peculiar option graced most of the exotics ordered by HH Yashwant Rao Holkar, Maharajah of Indore. Another peculiar preference was to have all his cars painted in black and sunglow combination. Notice the Duesenberg here
Old 27th February 2008, 10:11   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Sorry his Duesenberg pictures are listed in the Gurney Nutting creations in India thread
Old 27th February 2008, 15:24   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Ajit apparently this peculiar option graced most of the exotics ordered by HH Yashwant Rao Holkar, Maharajah of Indore. Another peculiar preference was to have all his cars painted in black and sunglow combination. Notice the Duesenberg here
I distinctly recall in an article by Barwani in Car & Bike magazine he mentioned that this trademark combo was not initially present on the Deusey, but later added. A picture of the car in its original colour was published as well, but in black and white do I couldnt quite decipher it.
Old 28th February 2008, 11:37   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitkommini View Post
I tried searching Rootsweb for Duesenbergs and here's what I found:

"The cars of the rich reflected the ideosyncrasies or individualities of their owners. The Maharaja of Indore, for instance, who bought the last Duesenberg chassis had a Gurney Nutting roadster body built on it, with two sets of sidelights. One pair had red lenses; the other blue. "He chose these colours so that in India his loyal subjects would know that if the car passed them with red lights on, then the Maharaja was driving; and if blue, then the Maharani was at the wheel".

my 2c to this wonderful thread
Had read in a book "Rolls Royce - Silver Shadow" by Malcom Bobbit about the RR Chief Designer at one time - Mr. John Blatchley. He started his career at Gurney Nutting, and his first exercises were based upon a Duesenberg and a Lagonda chassis for some Indian Maharaja. Holkar?
Old 2nd March 2008, 23:20   #12
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A detailed article on the Holkar Duesenberg is hosted at:

Howstuffworks "1935 Duesenberg Speedster-Roadster"

Do check it out
Old 2nd March 2008, 23:56   #13
BHPian

Here is another article on the Holkar Duesenberg:

The Duesenberg- a DECO RIDES Drawing Board Project

Old 4th March 2008, 06:02   #14
BHPian

"When the car came out of the jungle in India to be shipped it was cradled in a sling between four elephants."

Could someone post a few photos of this event, it sounds a magnificent sight. I don't mind black/white. I'm sure we'd all appreciate them
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2008, 09:46   #15
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
"When the car came out of the jungle in India to be shipped it was cradled in a sling between four elephants."
Wow could just visualise such a scene. Which Duesenberg was this? and which jungle?Where did you read about this?

Ah! so many questions! I think sometimes simply researching history can prove to be exciting and fun. Thanks Julian, keep it coming.

Most Viewed