Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:00   #16
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post

Also it had a badly made mild steel rear brake drumout of line with a 1/2 inch of brake shoes visible!!! Had to have an aluminium one cast around a steel liner.
An aluminium brake drum with steel liner? Wow sounds like this car was way ahead of it times. So I guess aluminium was used extensively in the car rendering it much lighter. Must have been quite quick compared to cars of the time.Would the diff/axle housing be of aluminium too?

I don't think even modern cars today have aluminium brake drums
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:51   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I don't think even modern cars today have aluminium brake drums
3 of my humble Fiats have aluminium brake drums
Old 2nd March 2008, 22:59   #18
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
3 of my humble Fiats have aluminium brake drums
Wow that's impressive. I really didn't know this about the Fiats. Are you aware of any other cars being sold today that have them?

PS: Reason why that's impressive is as you may know one of the challenges in improving handling is to reduce the unsprung weight. So along with alloys, if even the hubs are alloys then I can see what benefit that would have on handling

Last edited by DKG : 2nd March 2008 at 23:05.
Old 2nd March 2008, 23:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Would the diff/axle housing be of aluminium too?
No cast steel, The brake drum liner had pairs of small holes all around it so the aluminium, when cast, penetrated the holes, further locking it in place though when it cools it shrinks tight around the steel liner.
I saw a 1950s Triumph motocycle racer last week which had a quadruplex roller chain shrunk on to its front brake drum to help stop it expanding when hot!!
Old 3rd March 2008, 22:05   #20
BHPian

Two pictures of the Lucknow 1927 Hispano-Suiza H6B’s engine before restoration.

Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2008, 09:38   #21
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Two pictures of the Lucknow 1927 Hispano-Suiza H6B’s engine before restoration.

Did Delhi have the facility of pressure testing blocks and heads for leakages? I remember a Delhi restorer telling me a Mercedes engine he restored proved a nightmare due to this problem. I don't recall him telling me there was a facility to test.

Last edited by DKG : 4th March 2008 at 09:40.
Old 4th March 2008, 14:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Did Delhi have the facility of pressure testing blocks and heads for leakages? I remember a Delhi restorer telling me a Mercedes engine he restored proved a nightmare due to this problem. I don't recall him telling me there was a facility to test.
I always pressure test every cylinder block/cylinderhead/petrol tank/ radiator by blocking all the holes with rubber bungs or soldering a plate and a tyre valve in one of them then pressurising them (only up to 8 psi for radiators or tanks) immersed in a tank of water. Then you track down the bubbles sometimes it takes many attempts. But its very essential. I also had a pressure testing hand pump set for testing assembled cars.
I think they had major problems because the Mercedes cylinder block was part of the crankcase so it was huge and you'd need a big tank. You can do it out of a tank by wetting the surface and watching the bubbles but its much better to immerse the item in a tank. With some tanks you have to fight the buoyancy to keep it underwater. I did my 2 motorcycle tanks in the bath at home when my wife was out.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2008, 00:07   #23
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I always pressure test every cylinder block/cylinderhead/petrol tank/ radiator by blocking all the holes with rubber bungs or soldering a plate and a tyre valve in one of them then pressurising them (only up to 8 psi for radiators or tanks) immersed in a tank of water. Then you track down the bubbles sometimes it takes many attempts. But its very essential. I also had a pressure testing hand pump set for testing assembled cars.
I think they had major problems because the Mercedes cylinder block was part of the crankcase so it was huge and you'd need a big tank. You can do it out of a tank by wetting the surface and watching the bubbles but its much better to immerse the item in a tank. With some tanks you have to fight the buoyancy to keep it underwater. I did my 2 motorcycle tanks in the bath at home when my wife was out.
Now that's a tip everyone restoring an engine should follow.

Julian its obvious you've had some of the most rich experience in restoring these exotics. There's a possibility you may have encountered mistakes in the beginning and learnt to avoid them as time passed.

May I urge you to start a thread on a guide to restoration. This could be a simple to follow list of checkpoints all restorers should follow. Mistakes during mechanical overhauls are time consuming and expensive to correct. Sometimes a simple check can save yourself huge headaches later.

We could start with the engine, the gearbox, differential, the brake system, the electricals, the steering, the chassis, and suspension items

Please do consider sharing your experiences and knowledge in this form so many others in time to come can refer to the checklist to avoid mistakes and improve their restoration effort.
Old 5th March 2008, 04:00   #24
BHPian

Welcome to the home workshop advise centre
If you are having problems I can help with:

Tools

Problems with those nasty British cars]

or with servicing them

Financing your project

Paint solutions

Tyre challenges

Lowering your suspension

Raising your suspension

Turbocharging your project

Special bodywork conversions

Interior design

Widening the track

Stretch solutions for those larger families

Whatever the challenges I am here to help with realistic solutions.
[FONT=Arial]Watch this space[/FONT]
Old 5th March 2008, 06:06   #25
BHPian

No but seriously though, if any members have specific problems, I would be happy to help as I do understand the challenges faced by undertaking this type of work in India, but at the end of the day its all down to available infrastructure and when that isn't adequate to provide a solution then its a matter of financial capability in sourcing parts and services from abroad. Every restoration problem has a solution (relative to the circumstances of the car owner) sometimes its practical and economical within India, sometimes it isn't and I always found over 20 years in India that sometimes one just has to import in order to achieve an effective solution to a problem, it can get expensive, (but sometimes it can be cheaper) so it depends on 2 main factors, the value of the car and the love and desire of the owner which sometimes can justify the expenditure. Every restoration problem has a variety of solutions, it all depends on the perception of the owner of the car.
Please pm me or post, whichever.
Regards to all.
Julian
Old 17th March 2008, 00:58   #26
BHPian

Here's a picture of another different Alwar Hispano-Suiza. It has different mudguards and bumpers to Alwar 2 or 4, but it also has a "Tickford top" as does Alwar 4.

Name:  Alwar.JPG
Views: 2194
Size:  66.3 KB

Another one, anyone know who it went to?

Hispano Suiza's in India-kellner.jpg

And this, though it didn't come to India it reminds me of the Alwar Lanchester 40/50, pictures of which available elsewhere here.
Hispano Suiza's in India-untitled.jpg

By the way, I really loved the Garbage truck debates
on this site posted over the last many months,
I really appreciated them greatly.

Picture Source : The 3 B/W Hispano-Suiza photos are from The Legendary Hispano-Suiza by Johnnie Green

Last edited by GTO : 19th March 2008 at 18:10.
Old 17th March 2008, 09:59   #27
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And this, though it didn't come to India it reminds me of the Alwar Lanchester 40/50, pictures of which available elsewhere here.
It appears like the owner actually copied the Alwar Lanchester, looks quite like it
Old 21st March 2008, 09:24   #28
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Are not the following pictures of the same car?

Hispano Suiza's in India-kellner.jpg

Hispano Suiza's in India-h620b20kellnercabriolet202719252028129.jpg

To me they look to be of the same car. Glad its survived. Albeit a case of over restoration (looks horrendous). Its so obvious the best standard for restoration is to return it to the condition it was in when new!

Last edited by DKG : 21st March 2008 at 09:30.
Old 21st March 2008, 09:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

DKG, i confess, i don't know anything about these cars, but love reading through your thread! But don't the two cars posted above look like different ones. Im sayin this coz i feel there is a small difference in size of the passenger cabin and roofline. Or is it just due to the way the pics are taken?
Old 21st March 2008, 09:50   #30
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
DKG, i confess, i don't know anything about these cars, but love reading through your thread! But don't the two cars posted above look like different ones. Im sayin this coz i feel there is a small difference in size of the passenger cabin and roofline. Or is it just due to the way the pics are taken?
Lets look at them closely, do you see differences? I was looking at the door design and the lamp etc and felt its the same, but I could be wrong. Please share your observations

PS: Isn't this wonderful that you sitting in Cochin and me in Hyderabad are able to look at something at the same time and have a discussion? Wow, the magic of TBHP!!

Last edited by DKG : 21st March 2008 at 09:52.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks