Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2008, 09:51   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Certainly looks the same to me. It even says "Maharaja Car" in German in the back. Good work DKG!

The wheel covers look a little different, and are those tyres completely white?!
Old 21st March 2008, 09:55   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Lets look at them closely, do you see differences? I was looking at the door design and the lamp etc and felt its the same, but I could be wrong. Please share your observations

PS: Isn't this wonderful that you sitting in Cochin and me in Hyderabad are able to look at something at the same time and have a discussion? Wow, the magic of TBHP!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Certainly looks the same to me. It even says "Maharaja Car" in German in the back. Good work DKG!

The wheel covers look a little different, and are those tyres completely white?!
Though i'm not sure, pls look at the length of the roof and the pattern of the door handles closely.

@DKG, Yup! its truly great!
Old 21st March 2008, 09:57   #33
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

They look a tad bit oversize and full white?? Maybe an extra wide whitewall. I like whitewalls but here it looks so out of place. What do you think Karlos?
Old 21st March 2008, 10:05   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They look a tad bit oversize and full white?? Maybe an extra wide whitewall. I like whitewalls but here it looks so out of place. What do you think Karlos?
I cant comment on oversize, but the entire tyre seems white to me, tread et al!

Its very sad, every vintage and classic car these days are being fitted with whitewalls, even when they were never offered new. Case in point being Vijay Mallays Type K Mercedes at the recent Bombay rally.

Incidentally the Standard Pennant of the late 50s and 60s was never offered with whitewalls anywhere in the world except India. My car was delivered new with whitewalls, I had photos to back me up, but the Club in the UK thought otherwise. I could finally confirm it after getting hold of a copy of an Indian owners manual.
Old 21st March 2008, 10:12   #35
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I cant comment on oversize, but the entire tyre seems white to me, tread et al!
Looks like you are right. Also I suppose because the whiteness enhances the tyre they appear larger. I could be wrong about the size bit. But they definately look ridiculous
Old 21st March 2008, 10:30   #36
BHPian

Vintage Cars were never fitted with white walls. But some of the later model American Vintages 1935-39 had white side walls as OE.As a rule British cars were never fitted with whitewalls either.American Classics started with white wall tires (WWT). In india the craze then was for WWT, with even heralds donning WWT.
In my collection, only the 1936 Plymouth has WWT.But I have a rubber paint, developed in Europe, which can be applied on to black tires.This paint looks exactly as original.My Plymouth has these painted tires
Old 21st March 2008, 11:57   #37
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.S.ANANTH View Post
Vintage Cars were never fitted with white walls. But some of the later model American Vintages 1935-39 had white side walls as OE.
Packards were offered with white walls as early as 1929 (possibly earlier, will check and revert)

In all probability this would have been an accessory, you had to pay extra for. Some models though may have come with white walls as standard fitment

As you correctly point out European cars usually seemed to come with black walled tyres. Whitewalls were more an american preference??

Last edited by DKG : 21st March 2008 at 11:59.
Old 21st March 2008, 14:58   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As you correctly point out European cars usually seemed to come with black walled tyres. Whitewalls were more an american preference??
True. The earliest of American cars though popularly rode on completely white tyres, like this Model T Ford. I imagine it must have been quite a chore keeping them clean

Very few early European cars offered whitewalls somehow they never took a fancy to them. Infact Rolls Royces assembled in Springfield in the US were offered with whitewalls from the factory keeping in mind American trends, alongwith American brand headlights. Later on thin band whitewalls began to catch on.
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-ford01.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-rolls.jpg  

Old 22nd March 2008, 19:44   #39
sat
BHPian

suiza radiator..

I photographed this hispano suiza radiator in a home in Jodhpur in 2005...

Hispano Suiza's in India-suizaradiatoryf2.jpg

will call the gentleman to find out about the history of the car..

sat

Note from Mod - Please see the new rules for uploading pictures in the Announcements section.

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd March 2008 at 22:08. Reason: Please see note in post
Old 22nd March 2008, 22:16   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
I photographed this hispano suiza radiator in a home in Jodhpur in 2005.
Some guys have all the luck. Just imagine how many more stories like this must be locked away in houses all over the country. Im glad we at Team BHP are doing our bit to share
Old 22nd March 2008, 23:44   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Some guys have all the luck. Just imagine how many more stories like this must be locked away in houses all over the country. Im glad we at Team BHP are doing our bit to share
Is there a cooling fan behind the radiator or is it used for chilling booze?
Old 24th March 2008, 08:55   #42
sat
BHPian

Quote:
Is there a cooling fan behind the radiator or is it used for chilling booze?
lol.. perhaps being used as a desert cooler to cool the room down...

sat
Old 24th March 2008, 20:43   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are not the following pictures of the same car?

Attachment 2696

Attachment 2697

To me they look to be of the same car. Glad its survived. Albeit a case of over restoration (looks horrendous). Its so obvious the best standard for restoration is to return it to the condition it was in when new!
I read somwhere that this one of the few short wheelbase Monza H6B's, belonged to the Maharaja of Alwar and bodied by Kellner. Danbury Mint has issued a 1/24 scale model that I have....recently reissued in Silver (vs the original metallic brown)
Old 25th March 2008, 04:43   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
I read somwhere that this one of the few short wheelbase Monza H6B's, belonged to the Maharaja of Alwar and bodied by Kellner. Danbury Mint has issued a 1/24 scale model that I have....recently reissued in Silver (vs the original metallic brown)
I have also read it was a rare Monza (or otherwise known as a Boulogne) with a 11ft 1 1/4inch wheelbase, with a bore and stroke of 110mm x140mm 8 litre 45hp This is a H6C 8 Litre. The H6B had a bore of 100mm.
There were 5 special racing cars prepared for 1922 with bores of 102mm also known as Boulogne cars. The car I spent nearly 2 years restoring full time in Delhi was a H6B 6,597cc with 100mm bore.
What's the model like? is it die-cast or build it your self?

By the way welcome to the forum, I'm a newbie too but spent 20 years restoring pre-war cars in Delhi but I've spent too much time in workshops since 1972 and not enough time on actually hunting down cars or researching apart from the ones I work on.
Please do share your collection of treasures.
Regards

Here is a nicer picture of the car in colour prior to the dreadful state it seems to be in now, better if it had stayed in India.
Hispano Suiza's in India-kellner-2.jpg

And a mystery Hispano-Suiza described as a "Maharajah Special" but no record as to if it actually came to India.
Hispano Suiza's in India-hs3.jpg
Images from Les automobiles des origines a 1949 by Paul Badre
Old 26th March 2008, 00:44   #45
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Here is a nicer picture of the car in colour prior to the dreadful state it seems to be in now, better if it had stayed in India.
Attachment 3484

And a mystery Hispano-Suiza described as a "Maharajah Special" but no record as to if it actually came to India.
Attachment 3485
Images from Les automobiles des origines a 1949 by Paul Badre
The Alwar Hispano by Kellner is like a piece of jewellery. So exquisite. I could sit and gaze at that car for hours and not get bored!!

Someone please tell me the mystery Hispano Maharajah Special has survived!!! What a car. These cars give the term style a totally different meaning. There's a distinct sporting character to their styling which blends so well with their aviation heritage

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks