Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2008, 22:53   #61
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
A lot of research has gone into this book and I'm enjoying it immensely. All books have a few mistakes. Overall it is magnificent.
To me these books are as valuable as the cars that remain. As they tell stories of people and the rich experiences associated with ownership of these cars. That's what makes it all so special and we owe a big thanks to Manvendra Singh to gather data for years and publish it for all of us to read and enjoy

Next time you are in India Julian we could all perhaps meet in Indore as not only would we enjoy spending time with Manvendra Singh but also enjoy Mr. Sanghi's fabulous collection

Infact I was just thinking, why don't we plan a vintage meet each year showcasing a collection? This can be against invites only as most owners are cagey about showing their cars publicly. But it would serve as a rich educational experience. It would be so nice for all of us to meet in Indore and request Manvendra Singh to throw light on special features of the cars in Mr Sanghi's collection.

Then perhaps we could persuade Mr. Bhogilal to do such a gathering? I think this would be a real treat

BTW In Europe and the US often vintage meets centre around a town with a significant collection and a visit is part of the itinerary

Last edited by DKG : 19th July 2008 at 22:56.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2008, 01:06   #62
BHPian

Above all it was very interesting to finally see the photo of a Hispano-Suiza J12 in India in the book.
I wonder what happened to it, better exported than scrapped...
But I will continue to hope it is still in a palace collection somewhere waiting to be carried out of the jungle by a 100 elephants and preserved in India.
Old 21st August 2008, 05:35   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Above all it was very interesting to finally see the photo of a Hispano-Suiza J12 in India in the book.
I wonder what happened to it, better exported than scrapped...
But I will continue to hope it is still in a palace collection somewhere waiting to be carried out of the jungle by a 100 elephants and preserved in India.
Here is another Indian Hispano Suiza, this time an H6B from Jaisalmer.
Source: Special Interest Autos....although the original source of the picture seems to be the very author of "Autos of the Maharajas". Anyone know this car or its current whereabouts ?

Hispano Suiza's in India-jaisalmer-h6b-medium.jpg
Old 24th August 2008, 16:24   #64
Senior - BHPian

some Alwar Hispano-Suiza's. they had four totally. i managed to find pictures of three, the other one i have to search for. ALWAR 3 was a special hunting car with the big lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-scan0020.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-scan0021.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-scan0014.jpg  

speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th August 2008, 04:17   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
i think this is the Delage DS8 sports tourer that you are talking about Julian.
While on the topic of Delages, here is a 2007 Peking to Paris Rally Delage with an Indian connection.
(courtesy Bonhams & Butterfields)

The 2007 Peking to Paris Rally
1930 Delage D6L Tourer
Coachwork by Autodove Coachworks (rebody in the U.K.)
Registration no. SN 6031 Chassis no. 34676 Engine no. 578

"The right-hand drive D6L had originally been built for an Indian Maharajah and spent the first three years of its life in India. Its first owner’s special requirements - twin spare wheels mounted each side, the large folding luggage rack at the back and the beautifully made gearbox protection plate fitted underneath – are all still in place.
The car arrived in England in 1933, spending the next 20-or-so years in Yorkshire before being given to its owner’s chauffeur, with 19,000 miles recorded"

Name:  Peking Delage Maharaja Car.bmp
Views: 5184
Size:  486.4 KB
Old 7th February 2009, 21:04   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting find here - an apparently unrestored beautifully preserved Hispano Suiza in Coimbatore.

Coimbatore vizha - Page 3

Many other rarities like a Lloyd and little Gogomobil as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-hispano01.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-hispano02.jpg  

Old 8th February 2009, 20:48   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
An interesting find here - an apparently unrestored beautifully preserved Hispano Suiza in Coimbatore.

Karlos:
Believe this is the ex-Mysore H6B, 1919. Now part of the G.D.Naidu collection and museum.
Old 17th February 2009, 23:26   #68
Senior - BHPian

This car is Mr Sanghi's

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is another Indian Hispano Suiza, this time an H6B from Jaisalmer.
Source: Special Interest Autos....although the original source of the picture seems to be the very author of "Autos of the Maharajas". Anyone know this car or its current whereabouts ?

Attachment 40716
whose house ?was the grill

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
I photographed this hispano suiza radiator in a home in Jodhpur in 2005...

Attachment 2927

will call the gentleman to find out about the history of the car..

sat

Note from Mod - Please see the new rules for uploading pictures in the Announcements section.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th February 2009 at 10:39. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post.
Old 14th March 2009, 11:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

<Quote from another thread>
Quote:
A friend tells me in his childhood he saw a yellow V16 at Dadajee Dhackjee. More details I dont have, but Im certain he was not mistaken in what he saw.
I do not know about a Caddy V 16 in Dadajee Dhackjee, but there surely was a Hispano V12, one of two which came to India. Both have left the country. One was the Rajasthan Royalty car, went to A'bad and was exported probably legally. The other was the Aderbad/Kotak car, lying in Mumbai, Lonavala, Pune and taken out on the sly. Blackhawk is involved with the restoration, she was on her website some time ago, now removed. The car had serious mechanical damage. If anyone has pics of this Hispano, please post.

Last edited by Rehaan : 16th March 2009 at 03:12. Reason: Post edited as required due to some thread re-structuring.
Old 14th March 2009, 19:04   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
I do not know about a Caddy V 16 in Dadajee Dhackjee, but there surely was a Hispano V12, one of two which came to India. Both have left the country. One was the Rajasthan Royalty car, went to A'bad and was exported probably legally. The other was the Aderbad/Kotak car, lying in Mumbai, Lonavala, Pune and taken out on the sly. Blackhawk is involved with the restoration, she was on her website some time ago, now removed. The car had serious mechanical damage. If anyone has pics of this Hispano, please post.
Harit:
Below is a Hispano Suiza J12, 1932 at the Blackhawk Museum. Might this be the car you are referring to ? Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-blackhawk-hispano-suiza-j12-1932.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 18th March 2009, 11:45   #71
Senior - BHPian

Guys.

As per the Automobiles of the Maharajas, the Alwar royal family still retains two Hispanos and their 40/50 Lanchester.

The Lanchester is also pictured in this book with a roof and the windscreen so I guess it came this way.

It would be great if someone who has access to the Alwar cars can post current pictures and details on these amazing cars.
Old 18th March 2009, 12:01   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
Guys.

As per the Automobiles of the Maharajas, the Alwar royal family still retains two Hispanos and their 40/50 Lanchester.

The Lanchester is also pictured in this book with a roof and the windscreen so I guess it came this way.

It would be great if someone who has access to the Alwar cars can post current pictures and details on these amazing cars.
For the Alwar Hispanos see post 64 before this post.

Cheers

Last edited by harit : 18th March 2009 at 12:03. Reason: added name
Old 23rd March 2009, 20:04   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

This car is the Maharaja of Mysore's 1919 Hispano H6
Old 14th August 2009, 21:52   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

"India" Hispano Suiza picture on EBay

EBay currently has two pictures of a 1920's Hispano Suiza (7 seater). The background looks typically "Indian" (or Pakistan ?). Did not want to post a current auction. Maybe one of you experts can check it out and identify the car. In the background of one of the pictures, I think you also find a Studebaker Champion
Old 16th August 2009, 15:13   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Harit:
Below is a Hispano Suiza J12, 1932 at the Blackhawk Museum. Might this be the car you are referring to ? Cheers
Somehow I did not see this post before.
The Hispano I am referring to was a 12 cylinder car, J 12 but a 7 seater Limo. It was mechanically damaged and taken put in bits and pieces. Original owner were the Holkars, they had an identical bodied Rolls. The car would not start, then a bright spark had the idea of towing/pushing the car at high speed and dropping the clutch. Engine mechanicals snapped under this mistreatment.
Keep a lookpout for a 7 seater Limo.

Cheers harit

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks