Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2009, 11:57   #76
BHPian

This radiator is still at my residence at Jodhpur. Have been with us for almost 20+ years. My father just loves collecting these types of artifacts.

regards

Sidharth Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sat View Post
I photographed this hispano suiza radiator in a home in Jodhpur in 2005...

Attachment 2927

will call the gentleman to find out about the history of the car..

sat

Note from Mod - Please see the new rules for uploading pictures in the Announcements section.
Old 12th March 2010, 09:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

Maharajah of Indore's Hispano _ Holkar for sale

It is now for sale for $500,000 ...
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-222.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-223.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-227.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-237.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-238.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-233.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-228.jpg  

kasli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2010, 13:49   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
It is now for sale for $500,000 ...
Why would a European vendor ask for a price in USDLRS? It should be Euro?

Please refer to the previous page on Hispanos.

Post 63, is this car now a part of Vijay Mallya collection? I understand that he does own a Hispano, and mechanical work is still in progress.

My posts 69 and 75 refer to the Hispano pictured above. It seems that Blackhawk had no hand in the car above.

Post 70 of Travancore, I wonder if this is the J12 of Rajkot. Does anyone have a picture of the Rajkot J12?

Post 62 Julian refers to a J12 in the "Maharaja" Book. If he reffered to the picture on page 284 top right and without a title, then we are talking of the same car.

Post 74, I managed to obtain those pictures, have not yet identified that car.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2010, 19:10   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Why would a European vendor ask for a price in USDLRS? It should be Euro?

Please refer to the previous page on Hispanos.

Post 63, is this car now a part of Vijay Mallya collection? I understand that he does own a Hispano, and mechanical work is still in progress.

My posts 69 and 75 refer to the Hispano pictured above. It seems that Blackhawk had no hand in the car above.

Post 70 of Travancore, I wonder if this is the J12 of Rajkot. Does anyone have a picture of the Rajkot J12?

Post 62 Julian refers to a J12 in the "Maharaja" Book. If he reffered to the picture on page 284 top right and without a title, then we are talking of the same car.

Post 74, I managed to obtain those pictures, have not yet identified that car.

Cheers harit
Harit, the Indore Hispano as far as I know is being restored in California by Ross Classics.

I have a strong suspicion that the car (identified as a "Bentley at the airport" on top right page 284 of Autos of the Maharajas) and also shown on page 247 is actually the sister R-R PIII, licence plate "HSC-3". Cheers
Old 14th March 2010, 13:09   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Harit, the Indore Hispano as far as I know is being restored in California by Ross Classics.

I have a strong suspicion that the car (identified as a "Bentley at the airport" on top right page 284 of Autos of the Maharajas) and also shown on page 247 is actually the sister R-R PIII, licence plate "HSC-3". Cheers
Hi Travancore,

You must be right, Ross classics is in the US. Before posting I visited the site and found no reference to location, so I just guessed as I got a contact through a European site.
About the car being the Rolls or Hispano, I met a person who actually has seen both the cars. He told me that the Hispano had chrome on the wheel spats, the Rolls did not. That is how we identified the car pictured as the Hispano. Ofcourse, all is subject to correction, we are dealing in history.
BTW, any idea what has happened to the Rolls?
And can you please identify the Blackhawk car as the Rajkot J12?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 14th March 2010 at 13:12.
Old 15th March 2010, 05:54   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi Travancore,

You must be right, Ross classics is in the US. Before posting I visited the site and found no reference to location, so I just guessed as I got a contact through a European site.
About the car being the Rolls or Hispano, I met a person who actually has seen both the cars. He told me that the Hispano had chrome on the wheel spats, the Rolls did not. That is how we identified the car pictured as the Hispano. Ofcourse, all is subject to correction, we are dealing in history.
BTW, any idea what has happened to the Rolls?
And can you please identify the Blackhawk car as the Rajkot J12?

Cheers harit
Harit, the R-R PIII had chrome on the wheel spats too. For details on the car, refer to the masterful history by Steve Stuckey in the "RR in India" thread, posts 461 and 754. It states that the car "was reported derelict in India in 2005".

Posting pictures that were posted before of the PIII

There are two pictures of the Rajkot Hispano J12 in "Automobiles of the Maharaja" - pages 221 and 301. One picture shows painted+chrome wheel covers, the other is all chrome, but I think they are the same car.

The bodystyle is very similar to the Rajkot R-R PII; does not look like the Blackhawk car I posted. Cheers

One other small difference I notice between the two Holkar cars (R-R PIII and the Hispano):
- The RR PIII has the fuel filler cap on the side of the boot opening, higher up on the body.
- The Hispano seems to have it on the top surface of the rear wing /mudguard, on both sides. Very similar to the placement on his Duesenberg
Hence both pictures in Autos of the Maharajas may be of the PIII (at least the one on page 247 for sure - this is the same picture posted on Ross Classics showing the Maharaja)
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-holkar-piii-medium.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-holkar-rr-piii-3ax147.jpg  

Last edited by travancore : 15th March 2010 at 06:13.
Old 26th March 2010, 05:01   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Rajkot Hispano J-12

There seem to be some references on the web about the Rajkot J-12 being owned in the 1980's by noted collector Noel Thompson of New Jersey; and being awarded "Best-in-Class" at the 1989 Meadowbrook Concours. Maybe someone can do sleuthing and come up with more!!!! - I have had no luck
Old 8th April 2010, 18:33   #83

G'day all,

Very interesting thread, visited India a few years ago and saw some of Mr. Bhogilal's collection in Mumbai. Amazing cars.

I keep track of certain cars around the world, including some Hispano Suizas, and only know of two surviving J12s with Indian history;

Chassis #13043, the ex-Rajkot car, with DeVillars Double Cabriolet body has been part of a very large private collection in Nevada for many years. Was previously owned by collector James Leake in Oklahoma.

Chassis #13510 is the Gurney Nutting bodied car, ex-Indore, shown above.

Cheers,
Damien
Old 9th April 2010, 04:53   #84
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFO View Post
G'day all,

Very interesting thread, visited India a few years ago and saw some of Mr. Bhogilal's collection in Mumbai. Amazing cars.

I keep track of certain cars around the world, including some Hispano Suizas, and only know of two surviving J12s with Indian history;

Chassis #13043, the ex-Rajkot car, with DeVillars Double Cabriolet body has been part of a very large private collection in Nevada for many years. Was previously owned by collector James Leake in Oklahoma.

Chassis #13510 is the Gurney Nutting bodied car, ex-Indore, shown above.

Cheers,
Damien
Welcome to the forum Damien! Do you have any pictures of the Rajkot car you could post ? I have not had any luck searching the web. Cheers
Old 9th April 2010, 13:54   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Welcome to the forum Damien! Do you have any pictures of the Rajkot car you could post ? I have not had any luck searching the web. Cheers
Thanks for the welcome, unfortunately I don't have a scanner at home where my books are. The Rajkot J12 is pictured in Johnnie Green's Legendary Hispano Suiza book on page 200 and in Automobiles of the Maharajahs on pages 220 & 301 if anyone has those books AND a scanner...

Although these are b/w photos, I know the car was painted cream over blue and has plates GJY 6382.

Cheers,
Damien
Old 10th April 2010, 03:47   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFO View Post
Thanks for the welcome, unfortunately I don't have a scanner at home where my books are. The Rajkot J12 is pictured in Johnnie Green's Legendary Hispano Suiza book on page 200 and in Automobiles of the Maharajahs on pages 220 & 301 if anyone has those books AND a scanner...

Although these are b/w photos, I know the car was painted cream over blue and has plates GJY 6382.

Cheers,
Damien
Thanks Damien! You will notice that the two pictures in the Automobiles of the Maharajas has slight variations in the wheel discs - chromed and painted (?). I also assumed that the car would be Silver + Saffron, a la the Rajkot RR PII ("Star of India")
Old 15th April 2010, 16:44   #87

G'day again,

Moving on from the J12, I'm not aware of any K6s in India. Can anyone confirm this?

So heading back in time, here's a small list of H6 series cars;

Chassis #11253, bodied by Hooper as a fixed-head coupe and owned by the Nawab of Bhopal.

Chassis #11268, bodied by Saoutchik as a coupe chauffeur, ex-Mysore and still extant in India.

Chassis #11811, bodied by Million-Guiet as a torpedo, ex-Maharaja of Nanpara and Momdy and still extant in India

Chassis #10651, bodied by Kellner as a cabriolet, ex-Alwar. This is an H6B Boulogne with the 7-litre engine. It later went to England and is now in a private collection in Petaluma, California.

Chassis #11744, bodied as a landaulette on a longer wheelbase (coachbuilder unknown), ex-Alwar and still extant in India. This car is an 8-litre H6C.

Chassis #11760, bodied by H.J.Mulliners as a limousine, ex-Alwar and still extant in India (the green car in Pranlal Bhogilal's collection I believe). Another 8-litre H6C.

Chassis #12417, bodied as a cabriolet by an unknown coachbuilder, ex-Alwar and still extant in India.

This information comes from notes I've been making for 20+ years on all sorts of classic cars, drawn from numerous sources. If anyone can identify more cars, particularly by chassis number, I'd be extremely grateful - obviously many more came to India and presumably some survive today.

Cheers,
Damien
Old 15th April 2010, 17:26   #88
BHPian

Would like to add one interesting point to the Nanpara Hispano. The same was purchased by a Fruit Vendor (Dealing in Bananas) from Lucknow and was aptly called "Kelewale Ki Gaadi). As described whenever he used to bring the car for Vintage Car Rally, and after being flagged off he used to rush to the finish point and try to reach first. Being illiterate he thought of the Rally as a Race and no one could match the Hispano. As already mentioned since the silencor was perforated, it created a huge noise throughout the event.
Old 15th April 2010, 18:13   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cargaze View Post
Would like to add one interesting point to the Nanpara Hispano. The same was purchased by a Fruit Vendor (Dealing in Bananas) from Lucknow and was aptly called "Kelewale Ki Gaadi). As described whenever he used to bring the car for Vintage Car Rally, and after being flagged off he used to rush to the finish point and try to reach first. Being illiterate he thought of the Rally as a Race and no one could match the Hispano. As already mentioned since the silencor was perforated, it created a huge noise throughout the event.
It would be great to see some pictures of this car. Could you put them up if you have any ?

Are there any pictures of the Mysore Saoutchik bodied Hispano around ... is this the gold on black car with Doc in Bangalore ?

Last edited by wasif : 15th April 2010 at 18:28.
Old 15th April 2010, 18:57   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
It would be great to see some pictures of this car. Could you put them up if you have any ?

Are there any pictures of the Mysore Saoutchik bodied Hispano around ... is this the gold on black car with Doc in Bangalore ?
There is an ex-Mysore H6B (1919) shown on post 66. The car is currently in Coimbatore. Not sure if this is Saoutchik bodied.

The Kewlawalla Hisapano I believe is the one shown in posts 3 and 14 (registration: USJ-2522)

Doc's gold and black car is the ex-Holkar Delage D8SS.

I have also posted a Baroda Hispano (H6B ?) screen shot from an old documentary in post #1 of the "Maharaja Cars - Vintage Vignettes (documentaries)" thread.

Last edited by travancore : 15th April 2010 at 19:05.

Most Viewed