Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2010, 13:48   #91
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
There is an ex-Mysore H6B (1919) shown on post 66. The car is currently in Coimbatore. Not sure if this is Saoutchik bodied.

The Kewlawalla Hisapano I believe is the one shown in posts 3 and 14 (registration: USJ-2522)

Doc's gold and black car is the ex-Holkar Delage D8SS.

I have also posted a Baroda Hispano (H6B ?) screen shot from an old documentary in post #1 of the "Maharaja Cars - Vintage Vignettes (documentaries)" thread.
Kelewala Hispano was largely restored by Julian, now in the Choudhurie collection. I believe that she is the oldest Hispano in India.
Which is the car which moved from Indore to the Mallya collection?
And what has happened to the Kapurthala car, the big black Limo?
And there are one or two more, waiting to surface.

Cheers harit
Old 17th April 2010, 18:48   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

"Alwar" Hispano Suiza

The following car (H6B Kellner Drophead coupe, 1925) is shown on traumautoarchiv as being an ex-Alwar car. Can anyone confirm ?

Hispano Suiza's in India-alwar-hispano-suiza-1925.jpg

Hispano-Suiza H6 B Drophead Coupè "Maharadscha von D'Alwar" 1925

Last edited by travancore : 17th April 2010 at 18:51.
Old 25th April 2010, 23:49   #93

Quote:
There seem to be some references on the web about the Rajkot J-12 being owned in the 1980's by noted collector Noel Thompson of New Jersey; and being awarded "Best-in-Class" at the 1989 Meadowbrook Concours. Maybe someone can do sleuthing and come up with more!!!! - I have had no luck
This would be it then?

Quote:
The following car (H6B Kellner Drophead coupe, 1925) is shown on traumautoarchiv as being an ex-Alwar car. Can anyone confirm ?

Attachment 331463

Hispano-Suiza H6 B Drophead Coupè "Maharadscha von D'Alwar" 1925
It has been wrongly attributed. The correct car mentioned is shown in the pic above. It is well known.

Quote:
There seem to be some references on the web about the Rajkot J-12 being owned in the 1980's by noted collector Noel Thompson of New Jersey; and being awarded "Best-in-Class" at the 1989 Meadowbrook Concours. Maybe someone can do sleuthing and come up with more!!!! - I have had no luck
Two more of the Rajkot car
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-hispanosuizaj12devillarsrajkot1.jpg  

Old 10th August 2010, 15:39   #94
BHPian

Another Pic of USJ 2522 , taken at the 1989 Statesman Vintage car rally
Pics Courtesy C&BI
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-hispano_cropped.jpg  

Old 17th July 2011, 16:08   #95
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hispano Suiza's in India

Had these given to me a long time back. The print says so . I know this car survives but where ? Does anyone know whose workshop is this ?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-img_0012.jpg  

Old 17th July 2011, 16:58   #96
Senior - BHPian

Looks like one of the Alwar Hispano's ...was it sold or is it still with the family. I understand they dis retain a few of them
Old 17th July 2011, 19:16   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif
Looks like one of the Alwar Hispano's ...was it sold or is it still with the family. I understand they dis retain a few of them
This looks like a Jaisalmer car now in a prominent collection but I could be totally and 100% wrong
Old 23rd July 2011, 22:34   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
This looks like a Jaisalmer car now in a prominent collection but I could be totally and 100% wrong
This is indeed the Jaisalmer car. Check out my earlier post (#63 in this thread) to see the car "on wheels" - reposted below

Last edited by travancore : 23rd July 2011 at 22:37.
Old 19th August 2011, 11:47   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Another Pic of USJ 2522 , taken at the 1989 Statesman Vintage car rally Pics Courtesy C&BI
I think that this photo was taken at Sundernagar in Delhi from where these cars would go to The Statesman rally. I have seen these cars there at that time and so know that the green car behind is a Graham-Paige. In fact I pointed out to the driver that his Motometer (temp gauge on radiator) was facing the wrong way, and at the rally this was corrected. The temperature level has to be seen by the driver.

Quote:
This is indeed the Jaisalmer car. Check out my earlier post (#63 in this thread) to see the car "on wheels" - reposted below

I have this very picture, it seems that a whole set of 1960's and 1970's were copied and circulated among the prominent collectors of that time. Fasters pictures fit in these scheme of things.
Attached is another photo of that Hispano at the same place in Indore, the workshop of a collector. Now this car is in the Mallya collection, hope she gets her mechanical issues sorted soon. Lovely car!

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-hispanotbhp.jpg  

Old 20th August 2011, 10:20   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
...........Attached is another photo of that Hispano ...............Cheers harit
I forgot to add, if I were the owner of the car and needed to sell, I would also sell it as a Tiger hunting car. See the headlight protecting grills, useful in preventing damage to the glass if a Tiger were to swish his tail in anger due to glare. And at the rear is a trunk like box, maybe to keep Elephant guns and cannon balls?

Below are 2 pictures of a Hispano-Suiza. I know nothing about this car, the black Studebaker in the background suggests a possibility of this being an India car. Maybe Karpurthala? Please suggest, and can someone post a picture of the Kapurthala Hispano?
I would say that this car has been cleaned, but is not restored, worn stepney and windshield would indicate this. I am curious here.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Hispano Suiza's in India-hispano-01tbhp.jpg  

Hispano Suiza's in India-hispano-02tbhp.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 20th August 2011 at 10:21.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2011, 03:54   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Below are 2 pictures of a Hispano-Suiza. I know nothing about this car, the black Studebaker in the background suggests a possibility of this being an India car. Maybe Karpurthala? Please suggest, and can someone post a picture of the Kapurthala Hispano?
I would say that this car has been cleaned, but is not restored, worn stepney and windshield would indicate this. I am curious here.

Cheers harit
These are the same photos I had referred to back in Post #74. Would be great if someone could identify an India connection, better yet identify the car. I still think the background looks "Indian"
Old 10th May 2012, 10:08   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Posting pictures that were posted before of the PIII

There are two pictures of the Rajkot Hispano J12 in "Automobiles of the Maharaja" - pages 221 and 301. One picture shows painted+chrome wheel covers, the other is all chrome, but I think they are the same car.
Hispano Suiza's in India-holkar20piii20medium.jpg

Reader J S Pande writes in -

Quote:
The caption entered by a contributor "travancore "says "1937". That could be the year of the make of the car. There was no shivaji statue near the Taj Hotel Bombay at the time. The photo corrected a memory of mine. I used to think that the new Taj building came before the statue but seems not. The place there used to be called "green's" I think.
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:23   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Reader J S Pande writes in -
Hotel Greens was a hotel located next to the Taj Mahal, and there was a road between the two. Taj purchased it and demolished it is 1973, and apparently did a deal where they took in the road and gave the present road which was partly Greens. So the Shivaji statue must have come up before 1973.
Greens was very popular for their music sessions and partying atmosphere.
It would have been considered a heritage property today.

The Hispano would be the Holkar car, has a twin in a Rolls PIII. Could indeed have been of aroud 1937. This Hispano unfortunately left India after the export ban.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 2nd June 2012 at 14:28.
Old 2nd June 2012, 22:29   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hotel Greens was a hotel located next to the Taj Mahal, and there was a road between the two. Taj purchased it and demolished it is 1973, and apparently did a deal where they took in the road and gave the present road which was partly Greens. So the Shivaji statue must have come up before 1973.
Greens was very popular for their music sessions and partying atmosphere.
It would have been considered a heritage property today.

The Hispano would be the Holkar car, has a twin in a Rolls PIII. Could indeed have been of aroud 1937. This Hispano unfortunately left India after the export ban.

Cheers harit
....after the export ban ???? How so.....please clarify !
Old 3rd June 2012, 14:44   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
....after the export ban ???? How so.....please clarify !
My understanding is that this car was co-owned, a collector and a garage owner. Both are no more. The car was seen in both their premises, and was photographed being towed away by the modern Tata truck, a model built well after the export ban. Those in the know, know who has to explain

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed