Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2008, 16:43   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Gurney Nutting creations in India

A personal favourite, Gurney Nutting coachwork was simply stunning. Would request all to document all the cars from different marques with Gurney Nutting coachwork that came to India

I can think of the stunning Holkar Duesenberg, a fabulous 4 1/4 ltr Bentley again for Maharajah Holkar, two drop dead gorgeous Wraith four door convertible sedans, one from the Darbhanga collection, and a very handsome Rolls Royce Continental II coupe

The thread by featuring pictures of different cars with a note on their history in one place would allow a visitor to get a gist of the design flair of this most accomplished coachbuilder.
Old 26th February 2008, 17:10   #2
BANNED

One more man.

Pls dont increase number of posts.

Mods i feel we need to have one Thread running these kind of informations.
Old 26th February 2008, 17:16   #3
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Pavan you are missing the whole point. Certain marques are significant enough to warrant dedicated threads which document their presence with chassis number details, pictures, and interesting anecdotes about the various cars that were imported into India. To complete a thread of such complexity would involve inputs from many people and it is hoped people will pitch in with info relevant to the thread.

I hope you are able to see the value of threads dedicated to certain marques and coachbuilders. India was a significant market for all these brands and some of the world's most extravagant automobiles came to these shores. For the enthusiast hungry for info there's hardly any place on the net documenting this info.

Team BHP provides just the right forum to document this info and make it available for many to see and cherish

Hope you get it
Old 26th February 2008, 17:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Pls dont increase number of posts.
OT: erm.. creating a separate threads has the same result as far as number of increased post count, as posting multiple times in one thread.
Old 26th February 2008, 22:08   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Gurney Nutting has been my favorite too, their lines are indeed classic. The only cars that sometimes overshadow them for me are the outrageous Figoni et Falaschi bodied cars. But thats a whole other thread now isnt it?

This P1 or P2 (I forget which) regd BRG 1 has been amongst the prettiest. It has been broadly discussed elsewhere on the forum as well. It is now back in its original cream and was displayed at this Auto Expo. Im somehow in love with this Claret shade.

I have a nice book on Rolls Royces featuring pictures of this particular car, though apparently shot in England. I remember Awini telling me she went there for a resto.

This fabulous low milage P2 Continental is the last one ever built, and I think originated from Jodhpur. Continentals were immedeately identified by lack of bumpers. This particular car did sport add on bumpers for years, which were fortunately removed during a recent recommission.

I had taken some spy shots through the back window of my 1960 Standard some time back before the car was repainted, still sporting the bumpers. (Watchman at the restaurant didnt take kindly to me clicking photos). Can you identify which car they belong to?

More here

Long time no see - Road Roller - Business Standard Motoring

Here are some photos of the Holkar Deusenberg SSJ, rumoured to be the very last car every built. Do correct me if Im wrong. This car Im told also belonged to Sheikh Mukhtiar along with the Orchha Caddy V16. However, on a lovely program on Deuseys on the History Channel, they mentioned that the Maharaja of Holkar himself took the car to California, and used it there too, later selling it. This is open to interpretation.

Also, here is the Bentley shot at the 89 Statesman Rally, courtesy Ajit Ramchandran.

More exciting photos car be found here.

Zorpia: Ajit's Homepage

Incidentally BRG 1, BRG 484 and some more fantastic cars were featured in an issue of Auto Motor and Sport magazine, written by our very own Awini. Can we have a copy of that article Awini?
Old 26th February 2008, 22:19   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Karlos you are a gem!!!

This is exactly what I had in mind when this thread was started. To collectively build an archive of information. I have pictures of an identical Rolls as BRG 1 that survives in India. Again a Gurney Nutting and its a dark metallic green and drop dead gorgeous. Looks like a jewel. Will dig out the pictures and post it here. I agree BRG 1 looks better in the maroon. I saw her at the Expo and feel the ivory colour doesn't suit her
Old 26th February 2008, 22:44   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I have pictures of an identical Rolls as BRG 1 that survives in India. Again a Gurney Nutting and its a dark metallic green and drop dead gorgeous. Looks like a jewel. Will dig out the pictures and post it here.
There was talk in the Classics in Lucknow thread about an identical car, but I they mentioned it as blue. Vintageman, can you enlighten us on this?
Old 26th February 2008, 23:17   #8
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
There was talk in the Classics in Lucknow thread about an identical car, but I they mentioned it as blue.
Wow if there's a blue too that makes it three of the most beautiful Rolls I've ever seen. I have many pictures of the green. Need to dig them out

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th March 2009 at 04:53. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 26th February 2008, 23:38   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Error on my part. Julian corrects me and tells me the green Bentley BRG 484 is a Van den Plas body. In all the excitement I forgot that. Apologies.
Old 27th February 2008, 00:14   #10
BHPian

yes, the bentley is Vanden Plas,and BRG 1 is a 25/30, not a phantom, and the holkar duesenberg.. believe it or not is an SJN not an SSJ. the SJN was the longest wheelbase they sold. its the remarkable proportions of that body which make the car appear so short. if you notice, it has a rumble seat, AND a trunk behind it. and yes, it was the last duesenberg chassis built, but not the last to be bodied. and the Sheikh mukhtaar connection is true. apart from the duesenberg, Holkar also had a Bentley and a Lagonda V12 by gurney nutting. the bentley was around till at least 2000/2001, now rumored to be exported, the lagonda survives, in USA
Old 27th February 2008, 09:07   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
yes, the bentley is Vanden Plas,and BRG 1 is a 25/30, not a phantom, and the holkar duesenberg.. believe it or not is an SJN not an SSJ. the SJN was the longest wheelbase they sold. its the remarkable proportions of that body which make the car appear so short. if you notice, it has a rumble seat, AND a trunk behind it. and yes, it was the last duesenberg chassis built, but not the last to be bodied. and the Sheikh mukhtaar connection is true. apart from the duesenberg, Holkar also had a Bentley and a Lagonda V12 by gurney nutting. the bentley was around till at least 2000/2001, now rumored to be exported, the lagonda survives, in USA
Thanks for clearing that up.

This is the Holkar Lagonda and Bentley (pic courtesy Kasli), with trademark red and blue lights on the fenders.

Old 27th February 2008, 09:17   #12
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Awini

There is a connection with the Nath family of Ahmedabad to the Holkar Duesenberg too. I will find out all the details and post it here
Old 1st March 2008, 19:56   #13
BHPian

[quote=DKG;737209][quote=karlosdeville;737152]There was talk in the Classics in Lucknow thread about an identical car, but I they mentioned it as blue.
Quote:

Wow if there's a blue too that makes it three of the most beautiful Rolls I've ever seen. I have many pictures of the green. Need to dig them out
I have attempted to upload a picture of the metallic blue Gurney Nutting RR 25-30 from Kanpur. The picture was taken in Lucknow in 1966. I am digging around for a picture of a cream RR 25-30 (not BRG 1) and will post it when found. Would like to have a look at the green one.
Chhayanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2008, 14:55   #14
DKG
Senior - BHPian

BRG 1 now cream, the blue one from Kanpur, the green I've seen and now yet another cream? How many of these Gurney Nutting bodied convertibles came to India? No doubt it is one of the prettiest Rolls made ever (in my opinion) but that it came in these numbers to India is more impressive!

Will post pictures of the green, will dig them out soon
Old 10th March 2008, 01:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
BRG 1 now cream, the blue one from Kanpur, the green I've seen and now yet another cream?
Will post pictures of the green, will dig them out soon
This is a picture of a Gurney Nutting RR. Taken at Dhanbad (then in Bihar) in 1967. This is probably a 25-30 like BRG-1 but looks rather large like a Phantom III in this picture. It had a BRR number plate and was bought by the then owner from the original British owner in Calcutta. My grandfather, who was in the motor car business, probably found the car for him. I used to have another picture and will try that one too.
Attached Thumbnails
Gurney Nutting creations in India-rr_2530_dhn_67.jpg  

Chhayanat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks