Team-BHP - Bugattis in India!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   Bugattis in India! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/36141-bugattis-india.html)

1926 Bugatti Type 23 Brescia Carrosserie Lavocat et Marsaud
1.5 litre single OHC 4 valves per cylinder.
A work in progress, unfortunately I was unable to complete the car before leaving India in 2003. The car was virtually finished, only the rebuilt engine (in UK ,new crank, pistons etc) needed fitting. It is in Delhi.

New radiator

Lovely gearbox just changed the bearings.

The crank and crankcase.

The cylinder block and rebuilt clutch (parts from UK)

The car is red now, complete new ash frame, original body I rebuilt the wheels, new spokes and rims (originals all rusted away) new bead edge tyres, brakes relined and new cables. Instruments rebuilt in UK. She was nearly finished except for fitting the engine. I expect it is finished by now. Unfortunately these are the only photos I have.

this one took quite some time to restore since it arrived from bombay... if i remember right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by awini (Post 738674)
this one took quite some time to restore since it arrived from bombay... if i remember right?

I didn't touch it much until about 2002 apart from acumalating parts as I was already involved in several other cars.
In Bombay the car was dismantled and lying in 2 different places. Half of it was right in the middle of an umbrella factory surrounded by dozens of chaps assembling umbrellas. The other half was in a garage. All the small parts were wrapped and labelled and dated 1966. So it had been apart for quite awhile.
The crank could have been made in Delhi as luckily it was originally turned from solid bilet as was the Hispano's (if it was a forged shaped crank then it would be prohibitively expensive) but as we had to make two Hispano cranks as the first one was not good enough and it took time it was decided to get it done in UK. Also the camshaft needed regrinding. These engines suffer from the problem of the oil pump being at the top of the engine driven by the overhead camshaft so the suction pipe from the sump is very very long, so when the oil pump bushes wear it lets in air and you loose all oil pressure, it runs dry seizes and smashes its self to pieces as many did. Luckily this one stopped in time, but the oil pump was very loose. More if requested.

clap:Wow...what a treat to see these pictures. You are very fortunate to have worked on such historic cars. Amazing exposure!!. Do please relate all those interesting tales surrounding the restoration, the procurement of parts, the many challenges...needless to say its all a learning experience for anyone who reads it.

Not sure where to put this, not enough Bugattis for a thread of their own so I'll put it here: I presume this is the same Type 44 that is in V. Mallya's collection.
As Elizabeth Junek, the famous racing driver who was given this car by Ettore Bugatti, came to India and Ceylon and then sold it in India, I suppose the photo could be in India or Ceylon, does anyone recognize any clues?

Bugattis in India!-junek-bugatti-44.jpg

A picture of a Type 44 Factory show engine.
Bugattis in India!-44-engine.jpg

Details of Elizabeth Junek
Eliška Junková - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See this
YouTube - Eli?ka Junková talks about Targa Florio 1928

Images from Bugatti 'Le pur-sang des automobiles' by H.G. Conway

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian UK (Post 776373)
Not sure where to put this, not enough Bugattis for a thread of their own so I'll put it here: I presume this is the same Type 44 that is in V. Mallya's collection.

Attatched is a photo of Mallyas Bugatti, courtesy Kasli. I can see a somewhat different windscreen, sidemounted spare which is missing earlier, missing vents on the front valence, different headilght mounting frame and bar between fenders. What say? Same car for sure? Boy we had surprisingly many Bugattis as well! Wonder where JRDs car currently is.

They are different aren't they, any idea if the location is in India?

A picture of a Type 44 Factory show engine.

Where is the exhaust manifold? or did the car come like this. And if it did, didnt the exhaust damage the inside of the engine cover?

It is a prototype show model T44 in the London Motor Show of 1928 not yet complete. All the pipework etc is missing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian UK (Post 776611)
It is a prototype show model T44 in the London Motor Show of 1928 not yet complete. All the pipework etc is missing.

Thanks for clarifying. The real car had it though didnt it?:D

I expect so otherwise it takes a great deal longer to start and the floor gets rather messy :D

But seriously though,
I do remember a story of a Bugatti Type 57 or 57C in South india but the engine had been used for an alternative purpose... and all that was left was the front mudguards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 776581)
Attatched is a photo of Mallyas Bugatti, courtesy Kasli. I can see a somewhat different windscreen, sidemounted spare which is missing earlier, missing vents on the front valence, different headilght mounting frame and bar between fenders. What say? Same car for sure? Boy we had surprisingly many Bugattis as well! Wonder where JRDs car currently is.

"Automobiles of the Maharajas" provides the following info on Indian Bugattis:

Elizabeth Junek came to India (1929) with two Type 44's - one sold to Mehta Freres in Bombay

Around 21 Bugattis came to India prior to 1947

Maharajas of:

Jodhpur - Type 13 Torpedo Tourer
Yeshwant Rao Holkar- Type 13 Boattail 16-valve Brescia
and Type 57 Atlantic Coupe
Alwar - two door sporting model
Nawanagar - 5 Liter / 8-Cyl (maybe car I had pictures
of before
Idar - Type 35C
J.R.D. Tata - Type 35C

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 776685)
"Automobiles of the Maharajas" provides the following info on Indian Bugattis:

Elizabeth Junek came to India (1929) with two Type 44's - one sold to Mehta Freres in Bombay

Around 21 Bugattis came to India prior to 1947

Maharajas of:

Jodhpur - Type 13 Torpedo Tourer
Yeshwant Rao Holkar- Type 13 Boat tail 16-valve Brescia
and Type 57 Atlantic Coupe
Alwar - two door sporting model
Nawanagar - 5 Liter / 8-Cyl (maybe car I had pictures
of before
Idar - Type 35C
J.R.D. Tata - Type 35C

Very interesting, I await a copy of "Automobiles of the Maharajas" with great interest...
Two Type 44s! I presume they were shipped to India, from Elizabeth Junek's nature I loved the idea that she might have driven one overland. The Hugh Conway books only mention one. I have requested the mods to rename this thread "Bugattis in India" and your photos of the Lightening decor car need to be here if you could possibly repost them in this thread.
Two Type 35c cars! It gets better and better, maybe someone here can add some details.
No mention of the 1926 Type 23 Brescia I partially restored, that is odd as its existance is certain an d well known. It was dismantled in 1966 and a lot of the parts were wrapped and labelled and dated so.The father of the owner of this car had dismantled the car but sadly passed away shortly after.
Where did they all end up .
I heard of a Type 13 with a Austin radiator in Rajasthan.
There is a Type 13 brand new radiator in Delhi due to the UK manufacturer erroneously supplying and sending one by mistake, and then resupplying a correct later version for our Type 23.
The Type 57? Well let's see what information might be forth coming.

[No mention of the 1926 Type 23 Brescia I partially restored, that is odd as its existance is certain an d well known. It was dismantled in 1966 and a lot of the parts were wrapped and labelled and dated so.The father of the owner of this car had dismantled the car but sadly passed away shortly after.
Where did they all end up .
I heard of a Type 13 with a Austin radiator in Rajasthan.

Attached are pictures of an "ex-Indore" "Type 23" with widely modified body, De-Soto engine, etc. Bugatti badge was re-rivetted to the new Radiator. Owned by Soileen Banerjee from Jodhpur (2004) according to website (sourcewww.bugattipage.com / Classic & Sportscar, Feb 2004)

Bugattis in India!-holkar-bugatti-t23-1923-frt.jpg

Bugattis in India!-holkar-bugatti-t23-1923-rivetted-badge.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by travancore (Post 777088)
Attached are pictures of an "ex-Indore" "Type 23" with widely modified body, De-Soto engine, etc. Bugatti badge was re-rivetted to the new Radiator. Owned by Soileen Banerjee from Jodhpur (2004) according to website (sourcewww.bugattipage.com / Classic & Sportscar, Feb 2004)

I was told the car was sold some time back. Cant confirm it though.

Travancore, do go through the FAQs and see how to quote posts. It gets a tad confusing when the quote is not highlighted correctly.:)

Cheers
karl