Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th February 2008, 12:48   #1
BHPian

1927 Chevrolet Tourer...

spotted this in my college today... its a waaay too good looking car... from what i can remember and taking reference to the internet and some books at landmark....i rekon this car to be a 1927 chevy tourer....anyone know about the history of this car??
the car is completely restored and is in mint condition(atleast from the loook of it...)

managed just one pic...

cheers
M

Last edited by tidzter : 29th February 2008 at 12:51.
Old 29th February 2008, 14:33   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup, thats a 27 Chevy. You may remember it from that Sanjay Dutt Shahid kapur movie.

The car used to belong to Irfan Moghul of Toyoto Tech, and this car along with some others of his has been featured on the forum earlier. As you can see he later re registered the car to Bombay, and Im told he has sold it as well.

Here she is in Pune 2004.

Here she is with new number in Bombay, 2007

Old 29th February 2008, 16:22   #3
BHPian

thanks for the input karl....
yup he definately must have sold it as it has landed up in my college....

some people say that the guy who bought it deals in reselling imports...that might be how i see all these imports all so often....
but i think this guy has bought it not to sell it as he built an all new garage to store this baby....

it is the same car as the regn. number is the same!

PS: if possible can you tell me for much is this car expected to sell for?? if forum rules donot permit maybe by pm?

cheers

Last edited by tidzter : 29th February 2008 at 16:24.
Old 29th February 2008, 16:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yup, thats a 27 Chevy.

The car used to belong to Irfan Moghul of Toyoto Tech, and Im told he has sold it as well.
Yep Karl, He's sold all his collection except the Rolls and the last Triumph he bought. His father always wanted to buy off my bikes
Old 30th November 2008, 16:32   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yup, thats a 27 Chevy. You may remember it from that Sanjay Dutt Shahid kapur movie.

The car used to belong to Irfan Moghul of Toyoto Tech, and this car along with some others of his has been featured on the forum earlier. As you can see he later re registered the car to Bombay, and Im told he has sold it as well.

Here she is in Pune 2004.

Here she is with new number in Bombay, 2007

There is one more in Chennai. You can see it on Ajit's album under Chevy's in India. Mohaan
Old 21st December 2008, 22:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a 1929 Chevrolet awaiting restoration in a workshop
1927 Chevrolet Tourer...-sonycamv-2019.jpg

1927 Chevrolet Tourer...-sonycamv-2020.jpg
Old 5th May 2009, 21:44   #7
BHPian

chevy

how much would a chevy tourer in this condition cost??
Attached Thumbnails
1927 Chevrolet Tourer...-image000.jpg  

Old 6th May 2009, 00:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrock View Post
how much would a chevy tourer in this condition cost??
I think I know this car, part of a lot of 4 or so.
To give a real opinion, please post proper pics, engine, dash, front, each side and rear. In the photo you posted, the body appears to be askew. Then it is very expensive to fix as you have to make corrections. But dash, engine and bodyline give cause to the price. So please post good pics.

Cheers harit
Old 6th May 2009, 09:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

There used to be a green tourer exactly like the red car shown in the second post on this thread from Karlos in Hyderabad.

There was an open ground in Banjara Hills where we used to play cricket. Then one of my aunts had a mosque built there and one day this car showed up.

Somebody just brought it and dumped it in the bushes around the mosque.

Car was complete but and required a full restoration. I was very interested in picking it up but nobody knew who owned it.

Finally one day somebody was planning to have a wedding part in the grounds left around the mosque.

They cleaned up the bushes, found the car and promptly sold it to a scrappie.

One day shortly arter this I was in the old city and saw some gauges, switches and headlights that looked familiar. On enquiring I was told they were from a chevy that was broken up a few days ago.

I went back to the mosque and to my dismay found that the car was gone.

What a sad end to a very rare Chevrolet tourer. T don't think many of these are to be seen today.

Wasif
Old 6th May 2009, 18:58   #10
BHPian

I have one too,but an interesting one that was cut down into a racing car decades ago.
Eventually I will finish it.
The mud guards on the Red car and the black one are curious. Are they locally made?
Also they should have Drum headlamps. There were several thousand 1927 Chevs sdold in Australia,all with locally made Holden Bodies rather than the Fisher body so i often see parts come up for sale. in fact i know a young fellow here who owns several including a couple of light trucks.
Old 7th May 2009, 10:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

Not so sure about the mudguards but the cars did come with drum type lights.

The lights on the red car could be attributed to "artistic license" very much practiced in India.
Old 7th May 2009, 11:48   #12
Senior - BHPian

Jeep wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
In the photo you posted, the body appears to be askew. Then it is very expensive to fix as you have to make corrections. But dash, engine and bodyline give cause to the price. So please post good pics.
Calrock, the car also seems to be using Jeep rims and tyres.
Old 7th May 2009, 16:47   #13
BHPian

It would all be a matter of locating the correct parts ,many of which would almost unobtainable in a country where the number of cars sold in the 1920's would be low. Here we are fortunate in that we had many thousands of Chevs sold over the decades before out local Holdens became available and most were still being used right into the 1970's. Tyres and wheels etc were easily found.
Did the Indian cars have Wooden Spoke Wheels or the steel disc type wheel?.
Wooden spoke wheels were unpopular here because dry weather caused the spokes to become loose so many country owners would occaionaly drive into a stream to soak the wheels and swell the spokes back to size again..
looking at the high crown mudguards I would say they are possibly the Fisher style which are different to the Holden produced mudguards here which have a lower crown,(Flat on top ).
Here is one in the UK as a comparison. With a SU carb which is an interesting modification for smoother running.
Attached Thumbnails
1927 Chevrolet Tourer...-28chev.jpg  

Old 7th May 2009, 16:56   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
There used to be a green tourer exactly like the red car shown in the second post on this thread from Karlos in Hyderabad.
Wasif, that reminds me- there is this old but slightly eccentric (IMO) mechanic in the lane opposite to Boat club (and beside Marriot/formerly Viceroy Hotel), who'd once told me that he had rescued a '27 chevy (most likely a tourer) from the Afzulgunj scrapwallahs, who were towing the car down, when they passed by Tank Bund.

He said that he then sold the car to somebody in Banjara hills (can't remember where in BH) who were desirous of restoring it.......but to this date, they have done nothing to it, just keeping it the same way!
He said that hwile he had the car, someone passing by that way even gave him an RC book of a similar car scrapped long ago, which dated to the Nizam days and was in Urdu! He said that he gave it away alongwith the car he rescued to the people wwho bought it from him.
Old 7th May 2009, 18:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Maybe it was this same car. But I am sure the one that was lying out on road no 10 was actually broken as the speedo / lights / brackets for the hood etc were on sale

Do ask him for more details. In the boat club area there were a couple of interesting cars lying around, an Opal, Fiat Ballila etc. do they still survive ???

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks