Team-BHP - Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Pre-War (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/)
-   -   Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-war/37053-figoni-et-falaschi-cars-india-2.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by awini (Post 762105)
i too have some pics of those cars somewhere..... isnt the unrestored rolls saloon really something? i like it more than the blue rolls

agree: I almost gasped when I saw that silver ghost. What a machine!!! The Continental didn't look all that impressive up close compared to the Ghost

The folding side step of the Continental linked to the door is really something though:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKG (Post 762107)
The folding side step of the Continental linked to the door is really something though:)

I assume this is the car you speak of? Very unique coachwork for a Rolls. Now I cant help but wonder what this Ghost looks like!

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 762226)
I assume this is the car you speak of? Very unique coachwork for a Rolls. Now I cant help but wonder what this Ghost looks like!

Yes this is one of the few Continental Phantom II made. The body is by the coachbuilder Windover. Its a large coupe as you can see, but the Silver Ghost with the Maharajah in aluminium finish dwarfs it. I freaked when I saw mesh in the windows to keep mosquitoes out!!!lol:

I wish I had asked the owners then permission to share pictures, never thought such a need may arise!

Would pictures taken in a museum be ok? After all its open to public. I can post the Gondal collection if so

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKG (Post 762599)
Yes this is one of the few Continental Phantom II made.

The last continental ever built is featured on the Gurney Nutting thread if you remember. I was told though that Continentals never had bumpers originally fitted, being sporty tourers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DKG (Post 762599)
Would pictures taken in a museum be ok? After all its open to public. I can post the Gondal collection if so

I dont think it should be a problem if the cars are open to the general public.

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 762226)

there are old pics of the ghost's interior in manvendra's book, cant tell you the page off hand. i just hope nobody decides to restore that car its in a time warp!! it doesnt have paint anyway, it was finished in polished aluminium
karl pm me your current phone number, the one i have doesn't seem to work.

Is this the timewarp Aluminium Rolls we spoke of?

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 767553)

No not this one, the Jodhpur Ghost is a massive car. This one I think is in the Udaipur collection if I recall

Quote:

Originally Posted by karlosdeville (Post 767553)

no, that one is a limo, and has Grebel lamps, and yes this seems to be a mewar car

it is the maharaja of Udaipur's car I have seen this in his museum/garage

This thread needs some eye candy:
A Mr. Jourde from India asked his friend Joseph Figoni to build this car in the style exhibited at the Paris Auto Show. It was then shipped to Bombay where it remained until 1986. During its time in India, the car's headlights were removed from the wings and placed on each side of the grille. After decades of neglect, the car was eventually sent to England for restoration and then was exhibited at Concours in Europe and America, winning many awards. Powered by a 3.2-liter straight six engine, the low-slung Delahaye 135 chassis is famous for the many gorgeous bodies built upon it.
It was later purchased by Prince de Berae Mukarran
Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-1938_delahaye_type135_dv_05_petterson_la_05.jpg
From conceptcarz.com

Though it didn't come to India...I feel it is still of interest:
This Talbot-Lago T150
Ordered by the Maharajah of Kapurthala, the car (Chassis #90107) was used by the Maharani, an English woman who went by the name of Stella Mudge, an exotic dancer at the Folies Bergeres in Paris. It campaigned in several Concours d'Elegance where it won many awards and is currently known as the only Tear Drop with front fender skirts. The car was imported in the United States by Luigi Chinetti in 1950, and was later donated to The Nethercutt Collection by Betty Locke in March 2005.
Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-37_talbot_lago_t150_css_dv06q_015.jpg
From conceptcarz.com

Well.. Nepal is next to India:)
1932 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Figoni et Falaschi
The Original Owner, A Prince Of Nepal, Had This Striking Body Built By Figoni Et Falaschi, The Largest Car Commissioned To Them, And The Only Rolls-Royce To Receive One Of Their Unique Creations. A Subsequent Owner In The 1950's, Capt. Frederick Henry, Was So Enamored With This Car That He Traded His Bugatti Royale Even For It. Restoration Of This Masterpiece Was Begun In 1986, Culminating In The R.R.O.C. Chief Judges Award And The Lucius Beebe Trophy At Pebble Beach, 1992.
Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-figoni-rolls-nepal.jpg
From prewarcar.com

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian UK (Post 767959)

It was later purchased by Prince de Berae Mukarran

Could that be referring to the Prince of Berar? Who was Prince Azamjah, elder son of the seventh Nizam of Hyderabad, and father of present and eight Nizam Prince Mukkaramjah

Wow if that is the case this Delahaye was in Hyderabad??

My my what cars came to India

Great work Julian, you are a !! Thanks once again

Ahh talking about eye candy, since the following car was featured in a magazine I feel its appropriate to share some detailed pictures of this most flamboyant of the Figoni et Falaschi creations. Its a delight that this car survives in India

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-mvc746f.jpg

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-mvc747f.jpg

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-mvc748f.jpg

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-mvc749f.jpg

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-mvc750f.jpg

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-mvc751f.jpg

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-mvc752f.jpg

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-mvc753f.jpg

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-mvc754f.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian UK (Post 767959)
Ordered by the Maharajah of Kapurthala...

Well.. Nepal is next to India:)
1932 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Continental Figoni et Falaschi

I had no idea that the first car had an Indian connection. Fantastic.

Heres some more of the Nepal Rolls.

Quote:

Originally Posted by awini (Post 760847)
karl, there is an F&F Delage D8 in delhi

Any pictures of this car? Also a car in Bangalore has F&F coachwork, anyone has pictures?

I remember reading that other coachbuilders used to refer to Figoni et Falaschi as Phony and Flashy :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian UK (Post 781010)
I remember reading that other coachbuilders used to refer to Figoni et Falaschi as Phony and Flashy :)

Hehe yes I remember that too, but they will remain my favorites!