Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2008, 10:47   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India

I have always been an unabashed fan of the controversial and flamboyant Figoni et Falachi coachbuilders. How many cars finally came to India? I know of just 3 Delahaye 135 MSs that came in, one of which (a red one) is still with a member of the Jodhpur family, who reportedly got it in exchange with a 42 Ford Jeep. It was featured in Overdrive once upon a time I think. My favorite bodystyle, and F&F's most popular as well.

Years ago I had come across these pictures of a car that reportedly came from India, and is now fully restored in blue, and rebodied by Crailville.

Manvender Singhs book also carries a lovely picture of Maharani Gayatri Devi standting next to one, am not sure which car that is.

The third car was reportedly ex Mysore, a much later creation and at one point was in the Elton John collection

Any idea if there were more in India?
Attached Thumbnails
Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-ff01.jpg  

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-ff02.jpg  

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-ff03.jpg  

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-ff04.jpg  

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-ff05.jpg  

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-delahaye06.jpg  

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-delahaye07.jpg  

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-delahaye08.jpg  

Figoni et Falaschi Cars in India-delahaye03.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2008, 10:54   #2
BHPian

karl, there is an F&F Delage D8 in delhi... and the Jodhpur Delahaye was featured in auto motor und sport.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:04   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
karl, there is an F&F Delage D8 in delhi... and the Jodhpur Delahaye was featured in auto motor und sport.
Wow. Never heard of it earlier. Is she in good shape? Dont suppose you would have any pics would you.

Yup my mistake, it was Auto Motor und Sport. One of my favorite magazines, wish it were still available.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:05   #4
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Man these are fabulous photos. Look closely at the last picture you can see the photographer and his camera reflecting in the carriage like its a mirror!
Wow! If in the 20's and 30's they had paintwork like that, what are we making a fuss about achieving such standard now during restoration?

Julian, amazing pictures. Real eye-openers about how these cars looked new. Also the paintwork of the coupe Hispano you posted elsewhere is fabulous.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Wow! If in the 20's and 30's they had paintwork like that, what are we making a fuss about achieving such standard now during restoration?

Julian, amazing pictures. Real eye-openers about how these cars looked new. Also the paintwork of the coupe Hispano you posted elsewhere is fabulous.
Remember the Bahwalpur 540K? She's still in perfect original paint.
To see the pics in full size remove the .th in the links

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/728925-post85.html

Last edited by karlosdeville : 17th March 2008 at 11:13.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2008, 11:16   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Karlos start a thread documenting the Figoni et Falaschi cars in India. I've seen the Jodhpur car and its awesome. When I first saw it I couldn't believe I was actually standing in India seeing something so spectacular. Gazing at that car on a typical Jodhpur afternoon with all the sounds of India in the air just blew me away. It seemed so unreal!!.

That story about the Jeep exchange is true, I know someone who is related to the owner and he told me the whole story in detail.

Another time I freaked out was seeing a boattail Bugatti rotting in a yard in Jodhpur. Seeing the words Molsheim on the leaf spring shackles gave me the goose bumps!!!

What indignity some cars in India have been subjected to. Thankfully this car has been salvaged and is on its way to being restored to its former glory, and thankfully by someone who knows what he is doing.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th March 2008 at 17:49.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:22   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Karlos start a thread documenting the Figoni et Falaschi cars in India. I've seen the Jodhpur car and its awesome. When I first saw it I couldn't believe I was actually standing in India seeing something so spectacular. Gazing at that car on a typical Jodhpur afternoon with all the sounds of India in the air just blew me away. It seemed so unreal!
Ive asked the mods to start a new thread. Did you get any photographs of Jodhpur 34? The ones I have dont do justice, the size atleast.

Quote:
Another time I freaked out was seeing a boattail Bugatti rotting in a yard in Jodhpur. Seeing the words Molsheim on the leaf spring shackles gave me the goose bumps!!!

What indignity some cars in India have been subjected to. Thankfully this car has been salvaged and is on its way to being restored to its former glory, and thankfully by someone who knows what he is doing.
If I remember right that car too was featured in Auto Motor und Sport, with local coachwork and a DeSoto engine. So that takes the count known existing Bugatti cars in India to 3. A new thread is warranted to discuss those in detail methinks.

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th March 2008 at 17:50.
Old 17th March 2008, 11:26   #8
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ive asked the mods to start a new thread. Did you get any photographs of Jodhpur 34? The ones I have dont do justice, the size atleast.
I do have many pictures, just that it was taken at the owner's home and I don't have their permission to post them on a public site. Since the car was featured in a magazine once would it be appropriate to post here? Just don't want to abuse a privilege given.

I also have many pictures of some fab cars with the present Maharajah, same problem about posting though!!

Quote:
If I remember right that car too was featured in Auto Motor und Sport, with local coachwork and a DeSoto engine. So that takes the count known existing Bugatti cars in India to 3. A new thread is warranted to discuss those in detail methinks.
So be it Karlos!! A thread on Bugattis and Delahayes

Quote:
Elsewhere Julian has suggested we create a photoarchive (I agree), where its just pictures and relevant legends posted. Could you prevail on the powers that be at TBHP to create a permanent archive?

Julian does have a point that all these wonderful pictures are getting lost in threads. A visitor now has to WORK HARD to access all the info.

It could be a simple marque wise pictorial archive without the usual remarks and comments. Only pure reference info

Last edited by Technocrat : 17th March 2008 at 17:50.
Old 17th March 2008, 17:44   #9
DKG
Senior - BHPian

A Bangalore collector has a Figoni bodied car. Can someone please source a picture of the car? Possibly with its history too. Thanks

PS: Thanks to Karlos and GTO for creating a separate thread for this coachbuilder too. That's the spirit guys, can see TBHP Vintage section slowly becoming a great archive on cars in India!!
Old 17th March 2008, 17:51   #10
Senior - BHPian

Just a request guys:
Please use the "edit" button if posting within 15 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.
Old 17th March 2008, 21:40   #11

It seams only Karl, DKG and avini know about what is being discussed. Damn Karl i havent even heard of these cars. LOL
Old 17th March 2008, 22:28   #12
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA View Post
It seams only Karl, DKG and avini know about what is being discussed. Damn Karl i havent even heard of these cars. LOL
Ahh that's the whole point in placing these pictures in dedicated threads!!

You'll notice these coachbuilders being featured here had a distinct signature style and these automobiles without a doubt are amongst the world's most significant cars

Hope you enjoy
Old 17th March 2008, 22:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

I agree this car is truly a work of art. I remember reading about it in auto motor und sport ages ago!

Quote:
the Jodhpur family, who reportedly got it in exchange with a 42 Ford Jeep.
How times have changed, someone asked gogi'ji' for a mustang instead of a jeep and he refused!!

Btw, guys, pls check out this link too.
Vintage & Classic :- M A G N I F I Q U E

Last edited by JayD : 17th March 2008 at 23:05.
Old 17th March 2008, 23:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Btw, guys, pls check out this link too.
Vintage & Classic :- M A G N I F I Q U E
Thanks for the link, I couldnt remember where I had the pictures from. But I did remember fairly clearly that Overdrive had featured the car, and now that Awini mentioned it, so did Auto Motor und Sport.
Old 18th March 2008, 00:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:

I also have many pictures of some fab cars with the present Maharajah, same problem about posting though!!
i too have some pics of those cars somewhere..... isnt the unrestored rolls saloon really something? i like it more than the blue rolls

Most Viewed