Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 15:56   #1561
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

The Poonawalla's Cloud was a more recent aquisition - I believe it came from a reputed Delhi collection, who themselves imported it more recently to India.
Old 17th January 2012, 15:56   #1562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
yes prabal, the silver grey rolls in CP is the poorie car, and the lhd car outside odeon is a jaguar mkVII, currently with parvez, who also has the "killer" studebaker. there is a very nice cloud III in delhi too, but i havent seen it in a very long time.
Thanks Awini, dunno why I'm getting visions of a silver-cloured LHD Cloud too. Was the Poorie car lhd, or the Cloud III? Or maybe I'm mixing up. The LHD Jag at Odeon I remember, but confused about its regn now, whether it had a Delhi or Bbay number, or M-something!
Old 18th January 2012, 06:06   #1563
Distinguished - BHPian

Khairpur RR SC

I have a feeling that these may all be the same (Khairpur) car:

pictures below courtesy pakwheels.com (2007 Vintage Car Show)

Classic Rolls Royces in India-khairpur-rr-sc-frt.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-khairpur-rr-sc-frt2.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-khairpur-rr-sc-rear.jpg
Old 18th January 2012, 14:34   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Harit there's a possibility I may be mistaken. The President of India comes into Hyderabad every winter. I clearly recall a steel grey Silver Cloud on tank bund road coinciding with Sanjiva Reddy's visit. On the other hand the Queen too had visited Hyderabad many years ago and could it have been the same British Embassy car sent to Hyderabad ........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
I have the following post-war cars being used by officials in India..........
Phantom V 5VD65 used by the British High Commissioner (and now in the Bhogilal Collection).
The only Silver Cloud I know of delivered new to India was a Silver Cloud I with Radford saloon body SYB126 to a Miss K Purie. Could this be the car at the railway?
Quote:
Originally Posted by awini View Post
yes prabal, the silver grey rolls in CP is the poorie car, and........ there is a very nice cloud III in delhi too, but i havent seen it in a very long time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
I have a feeling that these may all be the same (Khairpur) car:....
We are trying to unravel these mysteries, and there is still some confusion, maybe some answers will help to clear things a bit.

RR Phantom V, we think that we know that there is only one car in India, now in the Bhogilal collection. If we know the year of manufacture of Phantom V 5VD65, we may get some answers. Queen Elisabeth came to India in 1961, this Phantom was made between 1959 and 1968. So the British Embassy car could have been used in Hyderabad by the Queen. With great difficulty I found evidence that she did indeed visit Hyderabad, there seem to be no pictures on the net and just found some passing references. Maybe I didn't google well enough. I cannot imagine that Hyderabad did not have a good enough car and had to get the Phantom V from Delhi, if it was the embassy car at that time. That is why the year of manufacture is of interest.
Revert to Anjan's post in media matter reposted by Karl on the President of India's cars thread, one can clearly see a RR Phantom V in a convoy during Nixons visit to India. That was in 1969, maybe the Phantom had gone to STC and they lent it to the Government? I do not believe that Rashtrapati Bhavan ever had a RR Phantom or a Cloud, if they did, they would have bought it new.
So we have RR Phantom V now with Bhogilal
RR Cloud with Poonawalla, this car was imported into India by Jaiswals and sold to Pune. Therefore this car ran in Delhi, is now in Pune.
One RR Cloud came into India in 2010.
What is this Poorie car? Any pictures? If it is documented, it must be there. Any pictures of the car at a rally? I am curious here.
All indications are that the Khairpur car and the one at the station are the same car, repainted to white.

BTW, the British Embassy in Delhi had a RR Silver Shadow which they took back to UK as STC was offering a low price. And in the 1990's they had a white Daimler 420 which was rusty but had bullet proof glass. Whatever happened to that car?

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 18th January 2012 at 14:46.
Old 18th January 2012, 14:46   #1565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
RR Phantom V, we think that we know that there is only one car in India, now in the Bhogilal collection. If we know the year of manufacture of Phantom V 5VD65, we may get some answers.
Cheers harit
Harit, if my memory serves me right the Bhogilal Phantom V is a 1965 car. I am almost certain of it as i have seen the same in person just after it was painted pastel green. This is the same car which was used as the baarat car for his daughters wedding in Mumbai. Let me dig some pictures and post them.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 18th January 2012 at 15:39. Reason: On request
Old 18th January 2012, 17:53   #1566
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Harit as I wasn't around in 61 this would be another visit of the Queen to Hyderabad. I remember on that visit she inaugurated the Begumpet flyover (something to do when in Hyderabad ) For some reason I remember seeing the grey Rolls coinciding with Sanjiva Reddy's visit. I don't remember seeing any Rolls in pictures during the Queen's visit. Now that we have a picture of the car in a procession we probably can deduce it was acquired by Rashtrapati Bhavan. For all you know the car may still be there in the garages and it could be a gift so records won't show a sale to RB. My memory is too vague to remember (not that I would know the difference as a school boy) whether the car was a Silver Cloud or a Phantom. Its graceful proportions seemed more like a Silver Cloud

Last edited by DKG : 18th January 2012 at 17:56.
Old 19th January 2012, 03:56   #1567
BHPian

The Bhogilal Phantom V is definitely a 1965 car, delivered in June 1965. If the photo of the Silver Cloud at the railway station was taken in 1958, it must be SYB126, the only Silver Cloud by that time delivered (new) to India.
Cheers.
Old 19th January 2012, 04:00   #1568
BHPian

New information I have just found about the Silver Cloud (from Bernard King's book on the Cloud I and Bentley S1). SYB126 was delivered in May 1956. It was painted shell grey, and Miss K Purie was of Films Ltd. Maybe she was the secretary of someone at the company who actually used the car? And the car was registered with Indian number DLD2727. Maybe this can help people identify the car next to the train?
Old 19th January 2012, 04:33   #1569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
New information I have just found about the Silver Cloud (from Bernard King's book on the Cloud I and Bentley S1). SYB126 was delivered in May 1956. It was painted shell grey, and Miss K Purie was of Films Ltd. Maybe she was the secretary of someone at the company who actually used the car? And the car was registered with Indian number DLD2727. Maybe this can help people identify the car next to the train?
I am almost certain that the car next to the train is not an India car, but would rather have gone directly to the Mir (similar to Nawab) of Khairpur, Pakistan. Believe the car is still in Pakistan.

Steve, would be great if you can check out if his name appears in any of the R-R registers.

He also originally owned PII Chassis 44-MY (the basis for Jaipur's PII 89-MW)
Old 19th January 2012, 04:41   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
I am almost certain that the car next to the train is not an India car, but would rather have gone directly to the Mir (similar to Nawab) of Khairpur, Pakistan. Believe the car is still in Pakistan.

Steve, would be great if you can check out if his name appears in any of the R-R registers.

He also originally owned PII Chassis 44-MY (the basis for Jaipur's PII 89-MW)
OK, then if it is a Pakistan car, then it is SBC86, delivered March 1957 to Mir Ali Murad Khan, a car finished in shell gray and Mason's black - the exact colour scheme of the car in the train photo, I reckon.
Steve
Steve Stuckey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2012, 05:05   #1571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK, then if it is a Pakistan car, then it is SBC86, delivered March 1957 to Mir Ali Murad Khan, a car finished in shell gray and Mason's black - the exact colour scheme of the car in the train photo, I reckon.
Steve
That would be him, Steve. Attached from www. royalark.net

"1947 Lieutenant-Colonel H.H. Huzur Pur Nur, Sarkar-i-Khairpur, Mir George ‘Ali Murad Khan II Talpur, Wali-i-Mulk-i-Khudadad, Mir of Khairpur. b. at Brighton, Sussex, 29th June 1933"

Since he was only born in 1933, the PII (44-MY) would have belonged to his father, the previous Mir.

Last edited by travancore : 19th January 2012 at 05:13.
Old 19th January 2012, 16:28   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
it should be All India Films Ltd, this is the same family that owns Thompson Press/ India Today Group. the car i believe is still owned by the family.
Old 27th January 2012, 08:01   #1573
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is picture of a 20 HP seen in Kolkata.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-wa...ml#post2659703

Classic Rolls Royces in India-imag0058-copy.jpg

Cheers
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 10:53   #1574
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars

Some more period pictures from Mohammed Bhai in Hyderabad.

Two Rolls Royces that belonged to Nawab Luft-ud-Dowla.

does anyone have any further info on these cars ? If I am not mistaken the Phantom is with the Mallya collection ???

The Rolls in the last picture looks to be a very early model, is it a Phantom 1 or a Ghost ? It doesnt have brakes on the front wheels ? Any idea where this car could be now ?

One of these RR's was purchased used in Mumbai for Rs. 14,000 I am told along with a Supercharges Auburn for Rs. 10,000.

Both cars were brought to the VT Station and displayed onthe platform for the Nawab to view from his private railway saloon that was parked there !
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-lutf-ud-dowla.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr3-luft-ud-dowla.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by wasif : 15th February 2012 at 10:58.
wasif is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2012, 13:26   #1575
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nostalgic pictures of our family's cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
The Rolls in the last picture looks to be a very early model, is it a Phantom 1 or a Ghost ?
Looks quite like a 1914 Ghost I had seen in pictures earlier?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks