Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2014, 17:54   #1966
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybentley View Post
1921 Silver Ghost #180LG, first owner: Sahib of Wamanagar (very difficult to read, so not sure!)
More likely to be Nawanagar. Or the odd chance its Wankaner.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2014, 17:58   #1967
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
More likely to be Nawanagar. Or the odd chance its Wankaner.
Nawanagar it is, thanks for the correction!
Old 9th January 2014, 21:11   #1968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Many times I wonder why am I putting up pictures and info as I do. The reason is that sometimes the feedback we get enables me to join some dots, as in this case. And it revolves around Mr. Lars de Jounge.

This may be a young Mr. Lars standing next to his car.

Cheers harit
Sometimes I wonder too.... Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls20lars-aeroplane.jpg
Do you feel that both gentlemen may be the same person?
Old 10th January 2014, 00:05   #1969
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was shown a dismantled LaSalle....The colour was a dark green and black, the registration started with APX.

Later, when I visited a workshop in Colaba, I saw this car again, but now assembled. It was then with Barwani and is now in the Sanghi collection, as a Cadillac
Harit the green LaSalle you speak of was a car owned by the Sarangapani family in Hyderabad. It was a 1929 identical to our car. Theirs was green and black and our car a maroon and black. You are saying the car has been dressed up as a Cadillac in the sanghi collection?

You know the company name Sandvik Asia brought back memories of a story my father used to tell me when once in the 60's (I think) while returning from Secunderabad club late evening my parents in our LaSalle had a Mercedes tailing them for quite sometime. Unable to overtake the Lasalle but persistent my father finally slowed down to allow the Merc to pass, only to be stopped by two European gentlemen who introduced themselves saying they had a wager about whether the car was American or European. They invited dad over to the Ritz hotel for a drink the next day and I have an old photograph somewhere in our albums of a gentleman admiring the LaSalle who I can now put a name to as Lars of Sandvik Asia.

Strange small world !!!

Last edited by DKG : 10th January 2014 at 00:08.
DKG is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 05:08   #1970
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybentley View Post
1920 Silver Ghost #55CW, first owner: Originally ordered for Gaekwad of Baroda, the car was delivered to a C.E. Randle Esq., Bank of Baroda.
1921 Silver Ghost #180LG, first owner: Sahib of Wamanagar (very difficult to read, so not sure!)
1925 Phantom I #87RC, first owner: A.S. Fuller (UK) sold through Fleet Deliveries Ltd. No idea how this one ended up in India.
The picture above is definitely Mr. Lars de Jounge with #87RC.

I will ask Mr. de Jounge if he would like to share some of his pictures with us.
87RC is or was a Windovers limousine. Alan Samuel Fuller was the son of the founder of a confectionary business in London. He owned quite a few RRs and Rolls-Bentleys, including Phantom III Gurney Nutting 3AZ188 and experimental Phantom I 16EX.
Steve Stuckey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 10:18   #1971
Distinguished - BHPian

Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost #180LG is identified by Park Ward here as a white tourer

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_453553-...80LG-1921.html

Classic Rolls Royces in India-000.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2153294...6rsGtC-7XCwV4/

So which is the 'Maharaja special' kasli has posted?
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2014, 14:32   #1972
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Harit the green LaSalle you speak of was a car owned by the Sarangapani family in Hyderabad. It was a 1929 identical to our car. Theirs was green and black and our car a maroon and black. You are saying the car has been dressed up as a Cadillac in the Sanghi collection?....... Strange small world !!!
Hi, that is exactly what I said. Maybe our friend will confirm to you if you ask, and maybe not. The original radiator shell may still be in Finland or Sweden.
The world is indeed starnge, and sometimes small too, however dots get connected only if they are shown to the world. It needs atleast two active individuals to connect such dots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
87RC is or was a Windovers limousine. Alan Samuel Fuller was the son of the founder of a confectionary business in London........
You will be right, but that car did eventually end up in India. Now the story on how this came about will require many dots to be connected.

This is an interesting photo from the same source. Bharatpur RR, any idea which car and where is it now?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-bharatpur-rolls.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 11th January 2014 at 14:37.
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2014, 17:27   #1973
Senior - BHPian

Though India got many Rolls's, Burma got one P III 3DL152. It appears to have been found, restored in Burma and then taken out. What is its story, and where is it now?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-piii-burma-3dl152.jpg  

harit is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 06:42   #1974
BHPian

Quote:
Though India got many Rolls's, Burma got one P III 3DL152. It appears to have been found, restored in Burma and then taken out. What is its story, and where is it now?

Cheers harit
This is an important car. Built in 1939 it was given the very lightweight Barker saloon with division body off experimental Phantom III 39EX (which was scrapped by RR in 1939 when they decided against a light, high speed Continental PIII). 3DL152 was used by RR until 1941 when it went to Brazil as the British Embassy car, then to Cairo Egypt in 1949 then to Burma in 1953, in both places again as the Ambassador's car. The US Ambassador bought the car when he found it semi-derelict in Rangoon and took it to the States in 1968. It is still there.
Steve Stuckey is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 17:49   #1975

Team- BHP, Vintage and Classic Rolls Royce cars

This is my first contribution to the wealth of information on your website. These two images are of Rolls Royce cars in the Motor Khana Nij of the Nawab or Amir of Bahawalpur, at Bahawalpur. The first photograph is from the late twenties, the other was probably taken between 1957 and 1963. Garages were also maintained in Delhi, Kangra, Karachi and the U.K.

The Amir also owned a series of Rolls Royce cars and Bentleys in the U.K.. At the time of the second photograph there was a Hooper Silver Wraith at his Sussex estate, which was replaced by a Phantom V in 1961 or 1962. His 1935, 3.5 liter Bentley was also housed there, along with a Bentley Mark VI that travelled to Pakistan and then back to the U.K.

Falahuddin Abbasi
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-scan10498.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-image0502-copy-2.jpg  

F Abbasi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 20:41   #1976
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Team- BHP, Vintage and Classic Rolls Royce cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by F Abbasi View Post
This is my first contribution to the wealth of information on your website. These two images are of Rolls Royce cars in the Motor Khana Nij of the Nawab or Amir of Bahawalpur, at Bahawalpur. The first photograph is from the late twenties, the other was probably taken between 1957 and 1963. Garages were also maintained in Delhi, Kangra, Karachi and the U.K.

Falahuddin Abbasi
Dear Mr. Abbasi,

Welcome to the Forum. It is great to see these original pictures. Timeless, I should say! The R-R heritage of Bahawalpur is indeed well known.

Just a small correction - the lower picture is probably around 1925+ since the third car from left is Phantom I Chassis 39MC (1st Body).

The first photo has cars all the way up to PIII.

This is the first time I have seen nine R-R cars lined up - the famous Mysore Garage photo "only" had six!

Last edited by travancore : 19th January 2014 at 21:02.
travancore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2014, 21:51   #1977
Distinguished - BHPian

Got so carried away by the Bahawalpur picture, made an attempt to identify the cars. Any expert comments / corrections are of course welcome!

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bahawalpur-rr-fleet-abbasi-chassis-id.jpg

There might become "controversy" about the identifications in this second picture - other pictures of many of the 1st bodies aren't available (at least to me)

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bahawalpur-rr-fleet-abbasi-chassis-id-1920s.jpg

Last edited by travancore : 19th January 2014 at 22:11.
travancore is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 10:44   #1978
Distinguished - BHPian

We see ex-Kolhapur Phantom III 3BU134 getting some attention at Alpine Eagle here

http://www.alpineeagle.co.uk/index.p...ce-phantom-iii

She will soon be displayed at Retromobile too.
Old 23rd January 2014, 18:19   #1979
BHPian

Re: Team- BHP, Vintage and Classic Rolls Royce cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Dear Mr. Abbasi,

Welcome to the Forum. It is great to see these original pictures. Timeless, I should say! The R-R heritage of Bahawalpur is indeed well known.

Just a small correction - the lower picture is probably around 1925+ since the third car from left is Phantom I Chassis 39MC (1st Body).

The first photo has cars all the way up to PIII.

This is the first time I have seen nine R-R cars lined up - the famous Mysore Garage photo "only" had six!
The picture with the nine cars is definitely the Motorkhana Nij at Sadiq Garh Palace, Dera Nawab. However the earlier picture is a mystery. Must be Kangra from the architecture in the background and the trees etc. I am sure Sahibzada Falahudin will be able to identify. Great pictures.
Old 27th January 2014, 12:22   #1980
Senior - BHPian

A Rolls Royce brochure was listed on e-bay, shown to me by a fellow member. This brochure must have been prepared when the car was put up for sale in the past. I didn't get it, I bid high but another fellow collector went still higher

Anyway, here are the images which were shown.
The registration appears to be BYA 9(?)002, an Ahmedabad registration. The handle obstructs the number plate partially.
Any idea which car this is, and where is it now?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-maharaja-hunting-1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-maharaja-hunting-2.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-maharaja-hunting-3.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-maharaja-hunting-4.jpg  

harit is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks