Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2008, 03:39   #811
BHPian

Phantom I MYO3502

This car is Phantom I 4RC, originally owned by Mharaja of Mysore. Fitted with its second body, a Hooper saloon.

Sorry that I can't help further with the Cairo Show car.
Steve Stuckey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2008, 09:31   #812
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Stuckey View Post
This car is Phantom I 4RC, originally owned by Mharaja of Mysore. Fitted with its second body, a Hooper saloon.
Thanks Steve for making quick work of things as usual. Any pictures of the car with the first body? Even in current configuration she looks very attractive to me, especially the contrast of the aluminium bonnet with the bright paint.

Any luck on the green car from Bangalore in an earlier post?
Old 15th September 2008, 11:44   #813
Distinguished - BHPian

A picture of the famous Rajkot PII, regd RRR 65, courtesy Harit.

Quote:
Attached please find a pic of a Rolls. This was the Rajkot car, having been sourced and taken out by one Bill Meredith Owen or similar name who had a Museum in UK at Stratford upon Avon. He was very proud of this car. The photo though was taken in Germany at an exhibition by my uncle in between Oct to Dec 1980. Question for Julian, when did this Museum close its doors? I believe that the car is still in circulation in Germany where it was sold on. There were some pics in the thread referring to this gent examining some Rolls in India, perhaps Julian can also tell us more about him.

Harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-dd.jpg  

Old 15th September 2008, 14:42   #814
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A picture of the famous Rajkot PII, regd RRR 65, courtesy Harit.

I believe the Stratford Motor Museum closed in 1989
Here is the Sotheby’s catalogue for the auction of the contents of the museum in 1989.
Sothebys 1989 Contents of Stratford Motor Museum - €4.00 : ColumbusCat!, Online Auction Catalagues
Bill Meredith Owen also owned #71DC the 1926 Hyderabad Barker tourer

Here is the Pocher model of PII #118PY (the Rajkot car), which was copied from the car when he owned it.
Pocher-Modellbau-Forum :: Rolls Royce Torpedo Cabriolet 1934 Phantom II K/A 75

Here is a video of Hans-Günter Zach, present owner of #118PY and PI #6YC 1926 Windovers tourer ex-Nanpara
Oldtimer-TV.com - Oldtimer

Here is more about 118PY including a photo of its condition after it caught fire in 2001
Translated version of http://www.classicdriver.de/de/magazine/3200.asp?id=1136

Last edited by Julian UK : 15th September 2008 at 14:55.
Old 17th September 2008, 02:38   #815
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Shyml, unfortunately I do not have any more pictures, but will keep hunting. By the way, what colour is "Nile Blue" - light, medium or dark ? Thanks! If I remember, the other colour on the two-tone body was cream.
The Nile Blue colour is preserved under the black paint of chassis components, where the black paint has lost grip due to grease, e.g the side mount bracket for the spare wheels. The car also shows evidence of this Nile Blue on components like the differential. This is,to my knowledge, quite unusual as Chassis componets were invariably painted black, just like the bonnet undersides were left un painted. The ivory colour is not visible (yet) . Maybe after another 50 years. I am enclosing a picture with the Nile blue colour showing. I think the show car may have been given a blue colour on key components under the car, visible on a stand. I know for sure that Thrupp & Maberly did an outstanding job on this body with a disappearing top, and would have looked fascinating in Nile Blue and Ivory, with blue leather to front and rear, Grebel spot lamp etc. I think the top was off white/ivory too. It would have looked faboulous on the streets of Cairo with HH and his Egyptian wife driving to the palace of King Fuad and to Luxor in it.
P.S : Cannot figure out how to attach the photo. Will try later.
Old 17th September 2008, 04:13   #816
Team-BHP Support

Uploading pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyml View Post
Cannot figure out how to attach the photo.
This'll help: Uploading photographs directly to Team-BHP
Old 17th September 2008, 05:27   #817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Nile Blue colour is preserved under the black paint of chassis components, where the black paint has lost grip due to grease, e.g the side mount bracket for the spare wheels. The car also shows evidence of this Nile Blue on components like the differential. This is,to my knowledge, quite unusual as Chassis componets were invariably painted black, just like the bonnet undersides were left un painted. may have been given a blue colour on key components under the car, visible on a stand.

Shyml, the picture caption for the original body on the Home - Chassis Register page says "This display car even had the chassis components in blue". Don't know if they were your own words! Can't wait for the picture uploads
Old 19th September 2008, 02:26   #818
BHPian

Thank you for guidance. Photo attached of 45WR side mount bracket showing Nile Blue colour.
Quote:
The Nile Blue colour is preserved under the black paint of chassis components, where the black paint has lost grip due to grease, e.g the side mount bracket for the spare wheels. The car also shows evidence of this Nile Blue on components like the differential. This is,to my knowledge, quite unusual as Chassis componets were invariably painted black, just like the bonnet undersides were left un painted. The ivory colour is not visible (yet) . Maybe after another 50 years. I am enclosing a picture with the Nile blue colour showing. I think the show car may have been given a blue colour on key components under the car, visible on a stand. I know for sure that Thrupp & Maberly did an outstanding job on this body with a disappearing top, and would have looked fascinating in Nile Blue and Ivory, with blue leather to front and rear, Grebel spot lamp etc. I think the top was off white/ivory too. It would have looked faboulous on the streets of Cairo with HH and his Egyptian wife driving to the palace of King Fuad and to Luxor in it.

P.S : Cannot figure out how to attach the photo. Will try later.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-nile-blue-thrupp-maberly-tourer-days-visible.jpg  

shyml is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2008, 14:52   #819
BHPian

Quote:
Photo attached of 45WR side mount bracket showing Nile Blue colour.
Shyml, can you post any more photos of 45WR?

These photos of cars previously posted on team-bhp have also been identified by Park Ward

RR 25/30 #GGR56 1938 Thrupp & Maberly Limousine 1st owner N C Lakrawalla

Classic Rolls Royces in India-ggr56-1938-tm-lim-lakrawalla-n.c.jpg
Photo courtesy of "Dominator"

RR 25/30 #GMP28 1937 Gurney Nutting Tourer All Weather 1st owner Rt. Hon. Chethyar - in 1994 owned by a Mr. Bhargava

Classic Rolls Royces in India-gmp28-1937-gurney-nutting-tourer-all-weather-rt.-hon.-chethyar-1994-bhargava.jpg

RR Silver ghost #2286 1913 Barker Limousine 1st owner Parshall F.h

Classic Rolls Royces in India-2286-1913-barker-limousine-parshall-f.h.jpg

All 3 photos from team-bhp. it would take an hour or so to find them again, the thread being so large now.

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st September 2008 at 03:08. Reason: Credit for first photo added upon Julian's request.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2008, 22:23   #820
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
RR 25/30 #GMP28 1937 Gurney Nutting Tourer All Weather 1st owner Rt. Hon. Chethyar - in 1994 owned by a Mr. Bhargava

The Momen car was identified as GRO 59

I forget the chassis number of BRG 1

Is the above car BRG 1 or a third existing in India? If so, wow, and anyone with a current colour picture? These Gurney Nutting RR's are my favourite when it comes to convertibles
Old 19th September 2008, 23:27   #821
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
The Momen car was identified as GRO 59

I forget the chassis number of BRG 1

Is the above car BRG 1 or a third existing in India? If so, wow, and anyone with a current colour picture? These Gurney Nutting RR's are my favourite when it comes to convertibles
The Calcutta car is #GRO 59
The Delhi car (BRG 1) is GRO 48
These are Drop Head Cabriolet All Weather cars
The third car #GMP28 is a Tourer All Weather
There are differences, it won't have occasional seats.
Harit has 2 more photos of the car, I hope he/Karl will post them.

The green Thrupp & Maberly Limousine #GGR56 is one of the previously mentioned 3 identical limousines TC 1254 (apart from the louvred bonnet of #GGR56).
The other 2 are #GHO 43 and #GAR71. One is the much photographed Reg No. AP 10 D 8044 and the other was up for sale in Delhi as posted by Karl. Maybe both were posted by Karl as he is Post Master General here. It is of great national and international importance to find out which is which.

Here are the other 2 T&M Limos, which is #GHO 43 and which is #GAR 71?

Classic Rolls Royces in India-ap-10-d-8044.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-2530-delhi.jpg

Source of photos from elsewhere on team-bhp

Last edited by Julian UK : 19th September 2008 at 23:47.
Old 20th September 2008, 09:37   #822
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hope to see some pictures

Quote:
Here are the other 2 T&M Limos, which is #GHO 43 and which is #GAR 71?
Both the cars are so beautifully proportioned. Very stately, but more elegant
Old 23rd September 2008, 21:09   #823
BHPian

Quote:
The Calcutta car is #GRO 59
The Delhi car (BRG 1) is GRO 48
These are Drop Head Cabriolet All Weather cars
The third car #GMP28 is a Tourer All Weather
Source of photos from elsewhere on team-bhp
On an itinerant visit to this excellent site I have to exhume this picture of another Gurney Nutting 25-30hp. The picture was taken in Dhanbad, then in Bihar in 1967. It was obtained for the then owner by my grandfather. The first owner, I was told, was a British businessman in Calcutta. It is not clear whether this GRO 59 in an earlier incarnation or a third drophead model.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr_2530_dhn_67_02.jpg  

Chhayanat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2008, 02:36   #824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhayanat View Post
On an itinerant visit to this excellent site I have to exhume this picture of another Gurney Nutting 25-30hp. The picture was taken in Dhanbad, then in Bihar in 1967. It was obtained for the then owner by my grandfather. The first owner, I was told, was a British businessman in Calcutta. It is not clear whether this GRO 59 in an earlier incarnation or a third drophead model.
Welcome back Chhayanat!
It has to be #GRO 59 for 2 main reasons
1 Gurney Nutting only built 2 DHCB bodies of this type (132)
2 It is the only one with the dipping fog/spot lights.
I don't doubt that a businessman in Calcutta once owned the car but I think the RR records of 1st owners must be accepted.

1937 #GRO48 DHCB (All Weather) Type:132 Gurney Nutting No:1776 Maharajah Kameshwar Singh of Darbhanga (Reg. No. BRG 1)
1937 #GRO59 DHCB (All Weather) Type:132 Gurney Nutting No.1777 Raja Harindar Singh Of Faridkot

I do hope you visit this site more often, your contributions have always been of great value and interest.
Julian UK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2008, 15:29   #825
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome back Chhayanat!
It has to be #GRO 59 for 2 main reasons
1 Gurney Nutting only built 2 DHCB bodies of this type (132)
2 It is the only one with the dipping fog/spot lights.
I don't doubt that a businessman in Calcutta once owned the car but I think the RR records of 1st owners must be accepted.

1937 #GRO48 DHCB (All Weather) Type:132 Gurney Nutting No:1776 Maharajah Kameshwar Singh of Darbhanga (Reg. No. BRG 1)
1937 #GRO59 DHCB (All Weather) Type:132 Gurney Nutting No.1777 Raja Harindar Singh Of Faridkot

I do hope you visit this site more often, your contributions have always been of great value and interest.
I think I posted another picture of GRO59, taken when we had a short outing with the car on the outskirts of Dhanbad. I remember fiddling with the mixture setting controls on the steering wheel boss, and being impressed by the "loud" and "soft" settings on the horn. With the benefit of the enlarged picture I can make out part of the registration which would have been BRR 2100.

As to GMP28, (with Shri Hari Bhargava of Kanpur in the late 1960s), I have not come across any other picture other than the one posted by me. Are there some newer pictures?

Are there any other records, other than Indian ones, of this particularly elegant Gurney Nutting design? I posted a picture of a very similar body but it was not by Gurney Nutting and it had four doors.

Most Viewed