Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2010, 23:44   #1171
BHPian

To MBZ180: yes, you are right, the bonnet length makes it a Silver Ghost (I first thought it was a Twenty because I only had a small pic in which the limit of the scuttle was not visible and the obviously tall driver made the car look small). I will forward the pic to a friend who might know better. The wings don't look Barker to me.
Old 13th April 2010, 00:14   #1172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
This car is definitely a Phantom probably a P I if it is from 1925. I say this because the front cantilever springs have the additional diagonal braces on both sides, which were also used in the Silver Ghosts to tie the leather strap for the crank handle. All Silver Ghosts and P I's and maybe even some P-II's had these diagonal braces that were exposed until the coachwork eventually covered them from view in later cars. In that case this car would have the 7.7 litre engine. The smaller Rollers, like the 20hp, 20/25 and 25/30 never had these diagonal braces.
It is a pre-1CL chassis. One of the ±83 which went to India. (I know it doesn't help ! but it's a fact ;o) I've ruled out a good 40-45 and the most likely candidate is 76RC which was recently restored by Tutu Dhawan.
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2010, 11:36   #1173
Senior - BHPian

Recently i read somewhere in an old article about RR's in India by Murad Ali Baig, which said there was one RR converted to a pick up and one more RR rotting in some palace in Lucknow..any details.
Old 13th April 2010, 13:30   #1174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
To MBZ180: yes, you are right, the bonnet length makes it a Silver Ghost (I first thought it was a Twenty because I only had a small pic in which the limit of the scuttle was not visible and the obviously tall driver made the car look small). I will forward the pic to a friend who might know better. The wings don't look Barker to me.

Sir,

Thank you very much for your reply. I was hoping for a long time that one of our RR experts such as your self will respond to the picture. Yes, that particular driver was very tall and makes the car look much smaller in proportion. The fenders flow quite nicely and actually end under the running boards, and another not so common feature is that the wooden tool box is quite tall and does not extend under the running boards unlike most RR's. There is a much better picture with another member of my family, which I will try to get soon.

Regards
Old 30th April 2010, 10:21   #1175
Distinguished - BHPian

A couple of period shots of the Nawab of Bahwalpur and his Rolls. Probably the same car, with wheelcovers removed?

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bahwalpur01.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bahwalpur02.jpg

Album of over 500 old photographs: India 1920s. on eBay (end time 04-May-10 20:44:58 BST)
Old 30th April 2010, 19:02   #1176
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
A couple of period shots of the Nawab of Bahwalpur and his Rolls. Probably the same car, with wheelcovers removed?

Attachment 340362

Attachment 340363

Album of over 500 old photographs: India 1920s. on eBay (end time 04-May-10 20:44:58 BST)
Super find Karl, cheers!!!!
The first one looks like a Silver Ghost and the second a 20 H.P. However, you could be right - these cars looks very similar and maybe the same. Hope "park-ward" or one of the other RR experts chime in.
Old 5th May 2010, 18:09   #1177
Team-BHP Support

Interesting period video of Rolls Royce in 1920's in India:

And a BBC documentary featuring maharajah's Rollers:

And the Kashmir Roll's

As quoted in the video comment:
The last of four lightweight experimental chassis produced by Rolls-Royce, 17EX was clothed with coachwork by Jarvis of Wimbledon and was sold new to Maharaja Hari Sigh Bahadur, ruler of the princely state of Jammu and Kashmir, who kept the car until 1932. The car remained in India up until 1976 when it was shipped to Europe and has since been shown at Pebble Beach (2004) and won the Trofeo Rolls-Royce award for the most elegant Rolls-Royce at Villa dEste in 1996.

Last edited by moralfibre : 5th May 2010 at 18:23.
Old 5th May 2010, 18:38   #1178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Interesting period video of Rolls Royce in 1920's in India: And the Kashmir Roll's

YouTube - 1928 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Jarvis Torpedo

As quoted in the video comment:
The last of four lightweight experimental chassis produced by Rolls-Royce, 17EX was clothed with coachwork by Jarvis of Wimbledon and was sold new to Maharaja Hari Sigh Bahadur, ruler of the princely state of Jammu and Kashmir, who kept the car until 1932. The car remained in India up until 1976 when it was shipped to Europe and has since been shown at Pebble Beach (2004) and won the Trofeo Rolls-Royce award for the most elegant Rolls-Royce at Villa dEste in 1996.
This car has been discussed before when she was coming up for auction.
The car was also owned by Pratap Roy, and then sold on and exported. Pratap Roy at one time also owned the 500K which has now gone to the Dogs. Ha- ji, there is some bull in that.
If someone knew Mr. Roy, is he the person pictured with the car in the shed?

Cheers harit
Old 6th May 2010, 13:13   #1179
Senior - BHPian

See below a letter published in The Automobile may 2010 issue concerning a 20HP Rolls. The owner, Mr. Malcolm Ginns says that there is one more such car in India. Does anyone know which car he is talking about?

And then I fall back to my collection and post a newly aquired photo. A Maharaja's family scene, Maharaj is the second on the right, with a similar 20HP Rolls and another Limo, photo taken maybe during a family outing. Unfortunately full Rolls is not in the frame. Anyhow, there are minor differences between these 20HP's, accessories like spot light, wheel cover and box on running board which could be put back. But there is also a major difference in the way the doors are hinged, suicide doors in the old pic, front hinged doors in GRK77.

Looking forward to some real inputs on the survivor in India and on the 20HP in the old pic.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-magazine-14.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-01-full.jpg  

Old 6th May 2010, 13:26   #1180
Senior - BHPian

The "Star of India" RR has been sold again at the Monaco Auction for Euro 664,000

There was a Delahaye also sold that looks so much like the Mysore car. Does anyone have more info on this ?
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-20481.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-20488.jpg  

Old 6th May 2010, 13:51   #1181
Senior - BHPian

Found this very interesting piece about Darbhanga RR,any more pics or info.
The Man Who Sold his Rolls Royce
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-drbhanga.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-drbhanga1.jpg  

agspins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2010, 14:18   #1182
BHPian

Harit,A real shame that pratap roys 500k has gone to the dogs..Stalwarts like you should do something to ensure its rescue..Any help required will be willingly given..
Old 6th May 2010, 17:20   #1183
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Harit,A real shame that pratap roys 500k has gone to the dogs..Stalwarts like you should do something to ensure its rescue..Any help required will be willingly given..
Bulldogji I got the impression from Harit's crypted statement that you are the lucky owner of this awesome car? If so congrats and the car deserves all the pampering and care in restoring her to former glory.
Old 6th May 2010, 17:25   #1184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Bulldogji I got the impression from Harit's crypted statement that you are the lucky owner of this awesome car? If so congrats and the car deserves all the pampering and care in restoring her to former glory.
Remember seeing her at Cartier? Didn't look like she needed much restoration
Old 6th May 2010, 17:38   #1185
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Remember seeing her at Cartier? Didn't look like she needed much restoration
Oh that car? I was under the impression Harit meant the other 500k which really has deteriorated and needs major surgery. I think it was with Jackie Shroff? So Bulldogji has bought the Cartier 500K? I am confused

Most Viewed