Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2010, 12:06   #1216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Hi, just back and lots to catch up.

I believe that this car is very much alive, in or around Delhi, and was used as a template for that recent new creation built on that Asansol Rolls which was earlier a Woody.
As far as I know that state was left with three Rolls's, another one, a smaller sedan was also stuck in Delhi and the third was supposed to be a very precious car, some say that a tree is growing through it, but I have no clue what and where it is. This Rolls also posted by Travancore has most certainly survived, many tbhpians have seen it, being badly kept, and many more are aware of it.

Cheers harit
I think that there is a slight confusion on my part. I am not sure if 16HC is the car in Delhi, or the one which was left lying rotting in their estate. But for sure Delhi has a Vizianagaram Rolls lying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
Re. thread #1175, this is obviously a Barker tourer. Bahawalpur owned #41LK (which they converted to a shooting car in 1933) and #82RM which was later rebodied as a Barker lim dv. I think this could be the first body on #82RM because the original wings of #41LK were retained and they are quite different. It was reg'd BWP-1.
I haven't heard of #16HC since it was delivered to Vizianagram.
#94RF has no "history": it's been in the same family since new !
History: It is actually the other way round. 94RF would have continuous history, a car picked up from a yard may have no history.

Cheers harit
Old 7th June 2010, 03:44   #1217
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think that there is a slight confusion on my part. I am not sure if 16HC is the car in Delhi, or the one which was left lying rotting in their estate. But for sure Delhi has a Vizianagaram Rolls lying around.

History: It is actually the other way round. 94RF would have continuous history, a car picked up from a yard may have no history.

Cheers harit
To the best of my knowledge, the ex-Vizianagaram car in Delhi is a Phantom 1 (Chassis # 1-EF), which is a Barker Tourer.

Phantom 1 (Chassis # 76-RC) may also be at the same location.

There are some pictures on a classic car website across the border (VCCCP before someone asks)!

Does anyone know the identity of RR "DHA-9129" with Mr. Ramachander in Delhi ? Cheers

Last edited by travancore : 7th June 2010 at 04:00.
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2010, 04:47   #1218
Senior - BHPian

One of the prince's of Vizainagram is a very good friend of mine and IIRC last we spoke one of their RR's has been with Tutu for a long, long while. And as for the RR with the tree growing through it, Harit bhai, I believe that is still in their native place.
Old 7th June 2010, 04:51   #1219
BHPian

I am watching a show on BBC4 called Story of Rolls Royce in India. I don't know if it's rerun,but a very informative show.
Old 20th June 2010, 04:37   #1220
Senior - BHPian

Another pic of one of the JK rolls at an event a coupleof years back.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-untitled7.jpg  

IndrojitSircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2010, 15:17   #1221
Senior - BHPian

came across these pictures on a Hyderabad related discussion forum.

Can anyone confirm their identities and ownership
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-1920-silver-ghost-raja-pratapgirji-hyderabad.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-1923-rr-silver-ghost-nizam-hyderabad.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-hyderabad-rolls-royce-details-unknown.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-nawab-wali-ud-dowla-1930-phantom-11.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-royce-hyderabad-details-not-available.jpg  

Old 27th June 2010, 18:07   #1222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
came across these pictures on a Hyderabad related discussion forum.

Can anyone confirm their identities and ownership
Wasif, all these cars have been discussed before, it will take too much time to dig them out, so here goes (what I know):

Picture 1: Raja Pratapgiriji - Silver Ghost, Chassis: 55-CW, Barker Tourer, taken out of India by (and maybe still owned by Lars de Jounge). Believe he was head of Larsen & Toubro in India in the 1960's

Pic 4: Nawab Wali ud Dowla - Phantom II, Chassis 82-XJ, Fountain Carriage Works

Pic 5: AP-10-D-8044: RR 25/30, maybe Chassis GAR-71, Thrupp & Maberly (claimed to have been bought from a sale of the Nizam's assets). First owner if GAR-71 should be Baron Howard of Glassop.

I cannot identify the other two. Cheers

Last edited by travancore : 27th June 2010 at 18:09.
Old 7th July 2010, 08:03   #1223
Distinguished - BHPian

A 6 Ox Power Silver Ghost

Here is a 6 O.P. Silver Ghost. Did not realize that R-R cars in India depended on ox power and not horse power!

Source: The Autocar / The R-R Owner, 1963

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-sg-94ae-delivery-small.jpg

Chassis 94-AE incidentally was a Hooper Landaulette / Limousine, first owner Mohammed Bhay Rowjec (anyone got a picture ???)
Old 7th July 2010, 08:16   #1224
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Here is a 6 O.P. Silver Ghost. Did not realize that R-R cars in India depended on ox power and not horse power!

Source: The Autocar / The R-R Owner, 1963

Chassis 94-AE incidentally was a Hooper Landaulette / Limousine, first owner Mohammed Bhay Rowjec (anyone got a picture ???)
This photo is captures history in the making. It reflects the true ground realities in India where Ox-Power was the main engine driving the country. For people like me who were born post-independence this is a lesson in history. Thanks for this education.

Cheers

KPS
Old 20th July 2010, 07:56   #1225
Distinguished - BHPian

Wankaner RR (Silver Ghost ?)

Here is one I have not seen before!

Classic Rolls Royces in India-wankaner-rr-sg-1921.jpg
Old 20th July 2010, 09:56   #1226
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently its a 1921 Ghost. Vaguely I remember being told it may not have its original body (don't know if completely or in part)

I missed seeing this car by a few minutes. When I drove up to the Palace during my tour of Gujarat the old Maharajah (Pratapsinghji ?) had just returned from a drive and the car (an olds or desoto I think) was being backed into the garages. I went into the main garage to meet the driver. When I asked him about the RR he said I would need to get permission from the owners. So I went to the palace and met the Maharajah's son who said I could head back to the garage to see the car. By the time I walked back to the garage the driver had locked it and went into town for lunch !!

Anyway I did meet the 96 year old Maharajah who was sitting on a chair just up the flight of stairs from the portico. When I walked up to him and greeted him he responded with a "Suu che" That was the first time I ever met a Gujarati speaking Maharajah !!

The Wankaner Palace is a stunningly beautiful palace. Not as pristine anymore as one would desire such a beautiful building to be, it was having some repairs done on account of the damage it sustained during that nasty earthquake.

I hear the old Maharajah has since passed away. He was a leading car enthusiast of his time amongst royalty as I understood from Manvendra Singh.

So many tales !!

Last edited by DKG : 20th July 2010 at 10:11.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2010, 15:23   #1227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is another picture of the same car taken in 1980's. Picture taken by Kishore Gidwaney who has consented that this may be posted.
They also have a nice Buick, and some other American cars.
Incidently, many many Royals were car enthusiasts, but had a different perception. They bought the good cars, later on failed to maintain them, ofcourse there were exceptions. They bought the best cars to be used, did use them, but did not collect and maintain them.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-02.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 20th July 2010 at 15:28.
Old 21st July 2010, 06:53   #1228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here is another picture of the same car taken in 1980's. Picture taken by Kishore Gidwaney who has consented that this may be posted.
Cheers harit
Check out the photo at the bottom right on page 97 of "Automobiles of the Maharajas". I am convinced it is the same car. Similarities include:
driving lights below headlamps, nautical vents on scuttle, windshield shape, etc. It was Wankaner"8" at that time.
Old 21st July 2010, 10:08   #1229
BHPian

Quote:
They also have a nice Buick, and some other American cars.
Incidently, many many Royals were car enthusiasts, but had a different perception. They bought the good cars, later on failed to maintain them, ofcourse there were exceptions. They bought the best cars to be used, did use them, but did not collect and maintain them.

Cheers harit
Here is another picture of the same car taken in Feb'2010, along with the Buick you mention.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-wankaner1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-wankaner8.jpg  

RollingArt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2010, 18:12   #1230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingArt View Post
Here is another picture of the same car taken in Feb'2010, along with the Buick you mention.
Does anyone have a side / rear view of the Wankaner RR ? Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks