Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2011, 15:11   #1306
BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

I know it's been discussed before, but here are a couple of shots I wanted to share with you of Phantom I #100EF seen at the RREC Annual Rally 2005.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-udaipur1.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-udaipur2.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-udaipur3.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-udaipur4.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2011, 17:26   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Indrojit,maybe mr choudhry was an owner at some point in time and maybe the owner today is different.To me that is of no importance,my interest, and maybe you could educate me,is the body style when new and the name of the coach builder.Would appreciate inputs to sastify my own curiosity.
Sorry for the late reply, TeamBHP hadn't advised me of a new thread for a long time. 75RC was originally fitted with a Barker tourer body for a Capt. Robert R. Glen.
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2011, 17:39   #1308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
The Dharbanga P III is slated to be displayed at the next Cartier event in March 2011. As it is being shown in the preservation category, you may be able to compare the paint (or what is left of it)

But, I do not think that this is the Dharbanga P III. For comparison a picture posted here.

Cheers harit
Harit: I think the PIII in your post #1301 is 3CP112, the "leopard trimmed car".

All: The Daimler mentioned in earlier posts was silver plated - don't be fooled by the yellow reflections. It is currently in the Blackhawk Collection (USA) and there are countless photos on the www.
BTW a gold engine wouldn't work at all because it couldn't stand the high temperatures without getting distorted.
Old 7th February 2011, 18:28   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
Harit: I think the PIII in your post #1301 is 3CP112, the "leopard trimmed car".
All: The Daimler mentioned in earlier posts was silver plated - don't be fooled by the yellow reflections. It is currently in the Blackhawk Collection (USA) and there are countless photos on the www.
BTW a gold engine wouldn't work at all because it couldn't stand the high temperatures without getting distorted.
The silver plated Daimler is also known as the Rewa Daimler, now in Blackhawk. I have just received a lot of photos where this car is also in some of them, in pristine condition. And then when the ban was to be announced, she was hurriedly sent out of India. I was told she was heavily damaged.
BUT, when we talk of the gold Daimler, this was Sir Hukumchands car and is still very much in India, in poor shape. There was gold plating all over, ofcourse not the engine. Some pictures of this car are somewhere on the forum.

Cheers harit
Old 8th February 2011, 11:58   #1310
BHPian

while we are on the subject of noble metals, i believe there was a "silver" Rolls-Royce in Vizianagaram too, anyone has pictures of that?
Old 8th February 2011, 12:12   #1311
BHPian

Park-ward,thank you for confirming the body style and coach builder.Ranjit,the current custodian also mentions the same.
Old 12th February 2011, 22:59   #1312
Senior - BHPian

How many in Bengal know that Rabindranath Tagore had a Rolls Royce? And that she was exported? From, of all the places Calcutta itself!! And by local collectors/dealers/enthusiasts. Shame. Picture on Monday.

harit
Old 12th February 2011, 23:01   #1313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How many in Bengal know that Rabindranath Tagore had a Rolls Royce? And that she was exported? From, of all the places Calcutta itself!! And by local collectors/dealers/enthusiasts. Shame. Picture on Monday.

harit
What Rolls Royce and which year was it exported ?
Old 13th February 2011, 05:32   #1314
BHPian

Quote:

harit
If there really was a Rolls Royce belonging to the poet, it is indeed shameful that she was exported from Kolkata.

I think I know who these great car enthusiasts are, who were responsible for this. We couldn't even hang on to his Nobel Prize, and then this revelation.

Such events further strengthen my opinion regarding the indifference people in this country show towards people who are great achievers, and remain far taller than ourselves, long after they have gone.

Last edited by mbz180 : 13th February 2011 at 05:35.
Old 13th February 2011, 12:26   #1315
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

harit
Amazing isn't it. Must have been one of the best kept secrets and this could be why it got exported without anyone knowing. Waiting for the pictures.

Cheers to Harit for sharing this information.
Old 14th February 2011, 13:33   #1316
Senior - BHPian

I have it from an authority that this is the Rolls of Rabindranath Tagore. Can someone confirm that? Involved in these kind of exports were the wheeler dealer brothers from Calcutta and Mr. Hari Agarwal. I was under the impression that he was a collector, but basically he was an exporter. Many of the left-over cars after the export ban went to Kanoria and Pranlal. They say that more then 1000 cars were sent out by them, anyhow a huge number did go out.
And see the car on the right, that also went. Only a real expert will identify that car by the roofline.

No Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-09.jpg  

Old 14th February 2011, 14:05   #1317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have it from an authority that this is the Rolls of Rabindranath Tagore. Can someone confirm that?
I'm out on a limb here, but humour me.

Compare these photos of mbz180's family Rolls to your picture. I see many similarities like the split windscreen, headlamp mountings, shape of doors etc.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-01.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-02.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-03.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-04.jpg

mbz180 (correct me if I'm wrong) is also a Tagore, and there was some connection to the Tagore, right? This is exciting, and all thanks to TBHP

So this could be a case of a car from the family being attributed to the man himself, like the 190SL Mercedes of Nehru's sister is often attributed to Nehru himself (so I have been informed, always open to correction).
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 14:23   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I'm out on a limb here, but humour me.

Compare these photos of mbz180's family Rolls to your picture. I see many similarities like the split windscreen, headlamp mountings, shape of doors etc.

Attachment 501718

Attachment 501719

Attachment 501720

Attachment 501721

mbz180 (correct me if I'm wrong) is also a Tagore, and there was some connection to the Tagore, right? This is exciting, and all thanks to TBHP

So this could be a case of a car from the family being attributed to the man himself, like the 190SL Mercedes of Nehru's sister is often attributed to Nehru himself (so I have been informed, always open to correction).
Harit,

Well heavens, that car is my great great grandfathers Silver Ghost! Jesus Christ, the number last 2 digits is 489, my great grand pops was 8489! And that crest on the rear door, it is without a doubt my great grand dads! Not Rabindranath Tagore but my great grand dad Raja Prafulla Nath Tagore. Where is the car now? I am too excited, speechless, never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be found, if only by pics of an earlier time. Karlos, my god you are spot on, that is my great grand dads car, the very same pictured by me. Here is the relation to the poet, the great Tagore: he was my great grand dads 6th cousin, from my mothers side my great grandfather's father!

Regards
Prithvi

Last edited by mbz180 : 14th February 2011 at 14:24.
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2011, 14:23   #1319
Senior - BHPian

Good enough at that time nothing could be done. And the car on the right is a Rolls as you can see the Wheel covers fitted on the car

Kasli

Quote:
I have it from an authority that this is the Rolls of Rabindranath Tagore. Can someone confirm that? Involved in these kind of exports were the wheeler dealer brothers from Calcutta and Mr. Hari Agarwal. I was under the impression that he was a collector, but basically he was an exporter. Many of the left-over cars after the export ban went to Kanoria and Pranlal. They say that more then 1000 cars were sent out by them, anyhow a huge number did go out.
And see the car on the right, that also went. Only a real expert will identify that car by the roofline.

No Cheers harit
Old 14th February 2011, 14:57   #1320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Well heavens, that car is my great great grandfathers Silver Ghost! Jesus Christ, the number last 2 digits is 489, my great grand pops was 8489!
So, another mystery solved - atleast partially. And thanks to Harit's vast archives. Where it is now we can try and find out - but apparently confirmed that it is exported. Hopefully the Rolls gurus on the forum can shed some light.

In one picture we can see another registration ending in 753, possibly this was the earlier system - do you have the whole number?

Most Viewed