Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2009, 12:39   #1021
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Where is THIS now?
A Rolls which participated in a rallt in Delhi more than 10 years ago. The owner at that time was probably Mr. Ranjit and he told me that this was once a Lady Muckerjee's car.
Headlights appear to tilt forward.
The car in Harit's post #1017 is a 20/25HP Park-Ward saloon, chassis #GMD45. It was last known to be with Ranjeet Malik.
park-ward is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2009, 13:36   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
The car in Harit's post #1017 is a 20/25HP Park-Ward saloon, chassis #GMD45. It was last known to be with Ranjeet Malik.
On closer inspection of the said car in the picture supplied by Harit the three wheels visible all have different kinds of wheel lugs / caps.

Also the ftont bumper looks like a custom addition.
Any comments on this ??
Old 27th July 2009, 21:54   #1023
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaulmhine View Post
I came across this Rolls Royce a few years ago while on business in India, and have used one of the images in several places. I keep getting asked for more information about it!

From what I have been able to gather, it is a 1928 Phantom I, right hand drive, 6-cylinder straight line, 4 wheel mechanical braking system, 20 HP.

Is that correct? Can anyone tell me anything more about this car?

Attachment 163634

Attachment 163635

Attachment 163636
Could this be the same ex-Hukumchand car mentioned by Harit in Post # 973 or "the other pretty 20 H.P. in Hyderabad" mentioned by DKG in post 974 ? This one does look in better shape than the car in #973.
Old 27th July 2009, 23:41   #1024
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Could this be the same ex-Hukumchand car mentioned by Harit in Post # 973 or "the other pretty 20 H.P. in Hyderabad" mentioned by DKG in post 974 ? This one does look in better shape than the car in #973.
Wow, you could be right. How do you guys remember all the old posts? I did not. Shall check very shortly as I have pictures.
Old 28th July 2009, 14:45   #1025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Ok once you're used to them, grabbing at thin air
Attachment 3930
Attachment 3931
Are you sure that steering wheel is original?
I just found out why the steering is the way it is, i.e. missing a section. Apparently the royalty who owned it was short and could not see and appreciate the bonnet of the car. His vision was being impaired by the the top section of the wheel so he ordered it to be chopped (or ordered it with a chopped wheel, im not sure). Makes sense, the kinks of these guys to have ordered something like this. Im not sure of the authenticity of the story, i heard it from a very reliable source, who looks after the car. Was parked in the Atria Mall, RR showroom a few days ago.
Old 28th July 2009, 20:01   #1026
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wow, you could be right. How do you guys remember all the old posts? I did not. Shall check very shortly as I have pictures.
Harit, could you also find out the Chassis # of the Hukumchand car please ? Cheers
Old 29th July 2009, 00:21   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I just found out why the steering is the way it is, i.e. missing a section. Apparently the royalty who owned it was short and could not see and appreciate the bonnet of the car. His vision was being impaired by the the top section of the wheel so he ordered it to be chopped (or ordered it with a chopped wheel, im not sure). Makes sense, the kinks of these guys to have ordered something like this. Im not sure of the authenticity of the story, i heard it from a very reliable source, who looks after the car. Was parked in the Atria Mall, RR showroom a few days ago.
Actually there are two explanations and both make limited sense.
1) As said, Raja saheb was a short man, the steering missing the upper arc so that Raja saheb could look through and drive. But what happened when he turned the steering? Probably like a rally driver he moved his head. But that would have been unroyal

2) Rajasaheb had a big belly, the missing arc was actually at the lower side of the steering so that he could fit in. But what happened when he turned the steering? Probably sucked in his stomach

Any more theories? Like they ran out of cash to complete the steering wheel? Or they were designer steering wheels?
Old 29th July 2009, 09:48   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually there are two explanations and both make limited sense.
1) As said, Raja saheb was a short man, the steering missing the upper arc so that Raja saheb could look through and drive. But what happened when he turned the steering? Probably like a rally driver he moved his head. But that would have been unroyal

2) Rajasaheb had a big belly, the missing arc was actually at the lower side of the steering so that he could fit in. But what happened when he turned the steering? Probably sucked in his stomach

Any more theories? Like they ran out of cash to complete the steering wheel? Or they were designer steering wheels?
Harit its very simple....you see there was this guy who was the Rajasaheb's long time triver and mechanic.

One day they had a falling out and the driver was fired. He is reported to have told the Rajasaheb that without him there would be no driving around and in a fit of pique he took that portion of the steering wheel with him.

Rajasaheb could never drive that car again. Can't remember the actual source of this nugget though !!!!!
Old 29th July 2009, 13:03   #1029

steering wheels

From my experience these steering wheels were made from composite materials which had the capacity to split or to desintegrate when exposed to the sun and/or dampness for a long time. I would not be at all surprised if this is the case here. The pics I have seen, point towards the use of a saw to 'cure' this, perhaps as there was no replacement readily available. Unless shown in the building sheets of Messrs Rolls-Royce I have great difficulty to accept that they would have complied to supply their valued customers with contraptions as these which would have been inherently unsafe. It does remain possible of course that a customer would have instructed his chauffeur or mechanics to alter the steering wheel. RR would have preferred to alter the seating position and or the rake of the steeringcolumn to provide for safe motoring.
Old 29th July 2009, 14:30   #1030
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentleyrob View Post
capacity to split or to desintegrate when exposed to the sun and/or dampness for a long time
You may wish to consider that India had a longstanding tradition of turning many a Rolls Royce into pans for the contruction industry. It was not uncommon to find RR parts strewn all over the breaker's yard (I've met someone whose grandfather broke 14 RR's !!) Finding a good used steering would have been very easy up until the seventies.

In all likelihood this iteration of a steering wheel is either the work of a very short owner who bought the car used, hence no question of commisioning something with higher seating or lower steering rake, or an obscenely large person who needed a portion of the wheel removed to facilitate his entry
Old 29th July 2009, 14:37   #1031
Distinguished - BHPian

There are 2 or 3 cars I have noticed with this wheel, and not all Rolls Royces.

Some years back I recall seeing a article in "Classic and Sports Car" magazine, I think submitted by BHPian Kasli. From my vague memory, it spoke of a few cars in Calcutta (?) in the 70s that were chopped into cabrios and given these quaint steering wheels, case in point being the Phantom 3 in Pune. There was mention of a Packard too I think. The whims and fancies of an eccentric Enlishman living there at the time were responsible for the alterations.

Kasli, am I correct?
Old 29th July 2009, 14:41   #1032
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
The whims and fancies of an eccentric Enlishman living there at the time were responsible for the alterations.
I think you are right Karlos. The Momen car was owned by an Englishman
Old 29th July 2009, 15:44   #1033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
There are 2 or 3 cars I have noticed with this wheel, and not all Rolls Royces.

Some years back I recall seeing a article in "Classic and Sports Car" magazine, I think submitted by BHPian Kasli. From my vague memory, it spoke of a few cars in Calcutta (?) in the 70s that were chopped into cabrios and given these quaint steering wheels, case in point being the Phantom 3 in Pune. There was mention of a Packard too I think. The whims and fancies of an eccentric Enlishman living there at the time were responsible for the alterations.

Kasli, am I correct?

Yes you are right a rolls in calcutta has a cut steering.This car used to belong to a parsi gentleman who was short and couldn't look through the wheel so he ordered the car with half a steering wheel.That car used to belong to state janjera if i'm not wrong and was given to the son-in-law of the family who is now based in calcutta and is very well known to many on this forum.The rolls he has is a 1937.
Old 30th July 2009, 01:07   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Any info on the RR in the earstwhile state of CHATTISGARH. I heard we had four of them??
Old 30th July 2009, 15:43   #1035
Senior - BHPian

Excerpts for the website District Kanker Chhattisgarh - Great men

"Maharajdhiraj was also a gifted photographer and an automobile connoisseur and had a pair of Rolls Royces, in addition to other cars he also patronized sports and club activities of Komal Deo Club Kanker"

Last edited by manishalive : 30th July 2009 at 15:44.

Most Viewed