Senior - BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyce Faulknor View Post
Harit,

Here are some pictures of the car.

Cheers!
Very interesting.

There is a small write up on this car in the current issue of Hemmings Sports and Exotic Cars magazine.

They are attributing ownership to one Rubin Jurman of Los Gatos California. The car is apparently entered in the third Marin Sonoma Concours that will be held on May 15 at the Marin Civic Center in San Raphael California.

Incidently Vijay Mallya's US car collectionis is also housed in Marin County. His Porsche 500 Spyder had won the last years bst of show at this very concours.

Hemmings apparenlty have mixed up their facts as they say the "driving lights are colour coded : A red light meant the Maharajah was on board and a blue light signified the presene of the Maharani"

This was true only in the cae of cars from the Holkar royal family of Indore and as can be seen from your pictures and the one in Hemmings there are no colour coded lights on the car anyway.

Its interesting to know that King George V had the car commissioned costing $ 10,000 and sent it over as a gift to the Maharajah.

As per Hemings the car was extensively modified for hunting including taller tire,creeper gear,"Hoodah gun" for close up defence and rear bumper mounted "elephant cannons"

I wonder what exactly is a Hoodah Gun or an elephant cannon...are they stil on the car as they are not visible in the pictures

In my opinion the car does look a bit over the top ....that striking red colour would have scared the Tigers from miles away !
wasif is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2011, 10:46   #1397
Senior - BHPian

Here is a link on the Tiger Car from the Marin Sonoma Concours website.

Marin Sonoma Concours d' Elegance | Press Releases | Maharajah Singh 1925 Rolls-Royce Torpedo Tourer

It has moe accurate info comapred to Hemmings regarding the current owner of the car, the Faulknors !
Old 13th April 2011, 10:58   #1398
BHPian

Some how I forgot to mention this before; once a year, a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost, probably around the 1920s, comes to a Satyanaran Temple, only during Dussehra.

I have seen the car 2 years back, and it belongs to the temple trust, and I think it may have been donated to the temple by some devotee. I say its a Silver Ghost because it has the honeycomb radiator without any slats, and most importantly, it has the diagonal braces which run from the front cross bar to the far side of the front cantilever springs.

The car is quite original, aluminium bodied and polished to some extent, with some of the meters still there and original steering wheel, gear-change, headlamps etc, but the rear has been converted to a throne for the deity. Another deity from another temple belonging to the same trust comes during this time, in this very car on the throne and is kept in the temple in my area and after the Puja's and festivities it is sent back with the car.

I had then tried to take pics but then thought better as I did not want to annoy the priests.

This Dussehra I will definitely keep a look out for the car and try and obtain permission from the priests to take some shots.

It looks similar to this car, but with aluminium and the modified rear end.

All sizes | 1920 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Best Regards
Prithvi

Last edited by mbz180 : 13th April 2011 at 11:15.
Old 14th April 2011, 21:18   #1399

Here's a photo gallery on the car, let me know your thoughts.

Flickr: kateroeltto's Photostream
Old 14th April 2011, 21:42   #1400

Here's a current picture of the Rolls Royce, let us know your thoughts! We really would appreciate any pictures or information known about the car while in India, We understand it was exported to England in the 1970s.

Quote:
[IMG]best rolls photo[/IMG]

My family just purchased a 1925 Phantom I with the Barker torpedo tourer body, chassis number 23RC. We are trying to find out the history of the car. We have obtained the original build sheet, but there are questions that need to be answered.

We were told that the car was a gift from King George V to the Maharaja of Kotah, because Kotah was a prime province for marble. The paperwork shows Sahib Bahadur who was also known as Uhmed Singh II. It was to be used as a tiger hunting car.

Any information that could be provided about the car and the relationship between King George V and this Maharaja would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Congrats on the purchase. Can you please post a picture of the car today? Does she still have those excess Grebel lights? Please post a picture, and we shall revert.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-best-rolls-photo.jpg  

Old 15th April 2011, 08:04   #1401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a current picture of the Rolls Royce, let us know your thoughts! We really would appreciate any pictures or information known about the car while in India, We understand it was exported to England in the 1970s.
I have no personal knowledge of the car's history in India. However, based on published info, it is Barker Body # 5611. Originally finished in Medium Grey and finished in crocodile grange leather.

Info subject to correction by experts of course!

There are period front and rear photos in "The Book of the Phantoms" by Ullyett (page 28).
Old 15th April 2011, 11:01   #1402
sat
BHPian

Joyce,

Quote:
We were told that the car was a gift from King George V to the Maharaja of Kotah, because Kotah was a prime province for marble. The paperwork shows Sahib Bahadur who was also known as Uhmed Singh II. It was to be used as a tiger hunting car.

Any information that could be provided about the car and the relationship between King George V and this Maharaja would be appreciated.
I shall get in touch with Ijyaraj Singh (great grandson of Maharao Umed Singhji II) hopefully he will have records & perhaps photos of your car.

quoted from the www.royalark.net/India/kotah
Quote:
It was left to his son, Maharao Raja Shri Shatru Sal II, and his successor Maharao Raja Shri Sir Umed Singhji II, to improve relations with the British. The latter was particularly well placed, having received a modern education at Mayo and British tutors. He became something of an Imperial statesman, though appointed to no office or formal role, those who governed India on behalf of the Crown sought his views on a wide number of issues. He was also successful in achieving the restoration of most of the districts lost to Jhalawar in 1838. After a long series of negotiations had failed, he took the case to the Imperial Privy Council in London, where he secured the return of eighteen of the twenty-one districts in 1899. His long reign of 52 years ended with his death in 1941, at the height of a world war to which he had given unstinting support to the British for the second time in his life.

Maharao Raja Shri Sir Bhim Singhji succeeded his father and immediately took up military service as a cavalry officer. No sooner was that service over than he had to cope with the momentous changes of events that led to the independence of India in 1947. After the war he had instigated several modernisation schemes for in the fields of education and irrigation, but did not see them complete fruition before merging his state into India. He then played an important role in the unification of the various princely states of Rajasthan, serving as both Rajpramukh and Uprajpramukh until the offices were dissolved in 1956. Thereafter, he devoted himself to his military, sporting and conservation interests. He was particularly active in the Indian Olympic and Asian Games movements, serving as an official as well as participant, representing India overseas.
sat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2011, 19:39   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
I believe this car is a 1936 25/30hp, chassis no. #GXM 5, Salmons Sedanca drop head coupe. The first owner was Sir Alexander Korda, who was married for 6 years to Merle Auberon, the Anglo Indian film star, the subject of the film "Queenie".
Here's a picture of the car taken around 1970 in England at a classic car meeting.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-gxm5salmons1.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 13:37   #1404
Senior - BHPian

Recently on a Kingfisher flight there was this magazine which they have featuring a Rolls-Royce on the cover. Very slick and chic, and the car is known.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-magazine-092.jpg  

Old 23rd April 2011, 14:07   #1405
Senior - BHPian

Coys of London is selling a Rolls-Royce Phantom I earlier belonging to the Maharaja of Pithapuram. Anyone knows any history? Pithapuram is in Andhra Pradesh, maybe somewhere near Kakinada.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls-06.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 23rd April 2011 at 14:10.
Old 23rd April 2011, 15:00   #1406
BHPian

More info: Coys Showrooms
Old 24th April 2011, 16:27   #1407
Senior - BHPian

This 1971 Silver Shadow belonged to a follower of Shree Satya Sai Baba from Kaula Lampur, who gifted him the car. The original registration Nombar of the car was ADA 9.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-ss-4.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rr-ss-6.jpg  

Last edited by speedy : 24th April 2011 at 16:31.
Old 25th April 2011, 14:18   #1408
Senior - BHPian

This picture came from a reprinted lot which was courtesy Sir Henry Royce Memorial Foundation, UK. I remember reading something about this picture but cannot figure out where. There must be a story here.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-11.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 25th April 2011 at 14:19.
Old 25th April 2011, 19:03   #1409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This picture came from a reprinted lot which was courtesy Sir Henry Royce Memorial Foundation, UK. I remember reading something about this picture but cannot figure out where. There must be a story here.

Cheers harit
One of the Bharatpur Silver Ghosts
Old 26th April 2011, 11:02   #1410
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
One of the Bharatpur Silver Ghosts
Do you know any more? Was that trailer a sort of caravan? And why such an ugly body on the Ghost, was that temporary or utility?

Here is another picture, simply says 1913 Silver Ghost with provision for liveried servants behind the cab. Another info, and I quote
"However, that was not the only place where helpers sat. A 1933 Rolls-Royce 20/30 (Sedanca da Ville) that first belonged to Maharani Sethu Parvati Bai of travancore had a small stool on the floor. On it sat a dwarf who massaged her legs even as he remained invisible to onlookers".
Can you add to this story? Are they talking of the car now with Pranlal Bhogilal collection?

This picture is also from the Sir Henry Royce Memorial Foundation.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-12.jpg  

Last edited by harit : 26th April 2011 at 11:04.
harit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks