Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2011, 13:07   #1411
DKG
Senior - BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Do you know any more? Was that trailer a sort of caravan? And why such an ugly body on the Ghost, was that temporary or utility?
If we were to confirm that its was indeed Bharatpur that converted the RR's into garbage trucks it explains why two more cars (now in the Singhania collection) had bodies redone. Maybe when the Maharajah's temper cooled he agreed to have the cars rebodied for more noble use?

This picture most probably is of the municipal staff of Bharatpur? Somekind of a makeshift site office for the British officers incharge?

Last edited by DKG : 26th April 2011 at 13:10.
Old 26th April 2011, 17:34   #1412
BHPian

A few years ago when we had diner at the Indian Vice Consuls home in Toronto he recounted a story about a number of Rolls being converted into garbage trucks because of frustration with his Rolls dealer, seems to be the same story you just referred to.

The other about a Raja, dressed modestly going into a Rolls Dealership and being ignored by the sales person. He then called the manager telling him he wanted to buy all his Rolls on the condition that they came with the cars when they were delivered. When the cars arrived he told them to drive them to the edge of cliff and told them to push them over!

Great stories to recount, can you add any details re who the frustrated Rajas were and the time frame and number of cars involved? I'm sure there are a number of similar stories to add.

Last edited by john a milne : 26th April 2011 at 17:35.
Old 26th April 2011, 17:59   #1413
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
A few years ago ...................there are a number of similar stories to add.
There used to be a story going round that Bharatpur, which had a number of Hispano's was so upset when one car gave trouble that he ordered all to be pushed over a cliff. And this particular car being sold survived because it would not start.

So you see, tales and tales abound, many may be true and some may be half-true. But this was a better tale than the tiger hunting one which has really been stretched over the limit.

Cheers harit
Old 26th April 2011, 19:50   #1414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do you know any more? Was that trailer a sort of caravan? And why such an ugly body on the Ghost, was that temporary or utility?

Here is another picture, simply says 1913 Silver Ghost with provision for liveried servants behind the cab. Another info, and I quote
"However, that was not the only place where helpers sat. A 1933 Rolls-Royce 20/30 (Sedanca da Ville) that first belonged to Maharani Sethu Parvati Bai of travancore had a small stool on the floor. On it sat a dwarf who massaged her legs even as he remained invisible to onlookers".
Can you add to this story? Are they talking of the car now with Pranlal Bhogilal collection?

This picture is also from the Sir Henry Royce Memorial Foundation.

Cheers harit
I do not know anything more about the trailer / caravan in the Bharatpur picture, there was a similar picture of the same car / trailer combo in a 1920's Autocar. I will dig it out. Would assume it was an elephant pulled contraption prior to motorcars!

The Travancore story is not too far fetched (my family has first hand experience). The maid servant(s) used to sit on the floor of the family Cadillac / Chevy on summer trips to Cape Comorin (now Kanya Kumari).

The R-R is an Alwar car by Regent Carriage Co . Attaching a writeup posted earlier in post 58 of this thread. Cheers

Classic Rolls Royces in India-alwar20rr20autocar.jpg
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 12:04   #1415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
I do not know anything more about the trailer / caravan in the Bharatpur picture, ..........The Travancore story is not too far fetched (my family has first hand experience). The maid servant(s) used to sit on the floor of the family Cadillac / Chevy on summer trips to Cape Comorin (now Kanya Kumari).........Cheers
If you find that Autocar article it will make interesting comparison.
Another picture in that lot was this Rolls used during the visit of Queen Elisabeth to India in 1960's. In Mumbai she went around in a Buick. This Rolls is supposed to be a Government of India car, was it earlier with a Maharaja? And where is she now?

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-op-rolls-13.jpg  

harit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 12:07   #1416
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This Rolls is supposed to be a Government of India car, was it earlier with a Maharaja? And where is she now?

Cheers harit
Didn't the Khairpur car look similar? The Khairpur car had buffed bonnet and fenders, which don't seem to be the case on the car in pictures.

Didn't Jaipur too have a similar car and chances are this could be during her visit to Jaipur? Mr. Bhogilal had a car with a similar back I think

Last edited by DKG : 27th April 2011 at 12:22.
Old 27th April 2011, 13:49   #1417
BHPian

Quote:
Another picture in that lot was this Rolls used during the visit of Queen Elisabeth to India in 1960's. In Mumbai she went around in a Buick. This Rolls is supposed to be a Government of India car, was it earlier with a Maharaja? And where is she now?

Cheers harit
It is Phantom II #89MW first owned by Maharaja of Jaipur.
Here's another shot of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-89mwhooperjaipur1.jpg  

Boybentley is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 14:21   #1418
BHPian

Not sure if this picture of the Nizam Silver Ghost was posted earlier, found in Life magazine 1937, just after it's "rejuvenation" was finished.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-nizam1.jpg  

Old 27th April 2011, 15:53   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boybentley View Post
It is Phantom II #89MW first owned by Maharaja of Jaipur.
Here's another shot of the car.
In 2008 it was registered in Germany: Car of the Month - May 2008 - Rolls-Royce Phantom II
Old 28th April 2011, 12:16   #1420
Senior - BHPian

Here is an excerp from an article on Roll-Royce's from America, Springfield, talking about Brewster bodies including "Hunting Car for the Maharaja market". This set a few thoughts in my mind.
Was there really a hunting car bodied in America for maharaja's?
How many Springfield Rolls-Royce were sold to Maharaja's?
Do any survive in India? Or abroad?
Just wondering.

Cheers harit
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-magazine-095.jpg  

Old 28th April 2011, 12:46   #1421
Senior - BHPian

I really doubt if there are any Springfield RR's in India as firstly the shipping would have been a killer and secondly the LHD format.

If any came in I would love to know...I have never seen an early RR with LHD in India so far
Old 28th April 2011, 20:39   #1422
BHPian

Just for the record, the Springfield Silver Ghosts were RHD until 1925.
Old 30th April 2011, 00:26   #1423
Senior - BHPian

Another tale of rolls royces and maharajas which i had read somewhere.

During final inspection of a rolls royce which had been ordered by a maharaja,a technician at the british factory heard some squeaking from the back,from the suspension or something had come lose.So he had climbed into the boot to check whats wrong and accidently got locked inside.The car was then mistakenly cleared for export and sent to the Maharaja,who on opening the boot saw the remains of the british technician!

He then sent back the ashes of the technician in an urn to England!

Last edited by avishar : 30th April 2011 at 00:27.
Old 30th April 2011, 04:24   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Cheers harit
Attached is a color version of Harit's picture of the Jaipur R-R Phantom II (Chassis 89-MW).
courtesy: Getty Images

Classic Rolls Royces in India-jaipur-rr-pii-queen-color.jpg

--------------------------------------------------
Also a video of the car (around the 6:30 mark). Watch the whole film to see a few other fine cars and Delhi scenes!

travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:10   #1425
BHPian

I think the silver & green Phantom II is 44MY, the Khairpur car, not 89MW. 44MY is still painted in these colours and it is in a Qatari collection.

Last edited by park-ward : 2nd May 2011 at 11:16.
park-ward is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks