Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 16:01   #1606
DKG
Senior - BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Mubarak Mr. Chhapra !! Your Ghost is indeed a special car with a great history. I was especially delighted to see the video of you firing her up with a flick of the advance retard switch. Congrats on beautifully maintaining this magnificent car.
Old 5th March 2012, 18:30   #1607

Thanks Wasif &DGK this was my first participation in an international event didn't had any idea how the judge but god has been very kind on me Wasif as to you question regarding hupmobile yes I have painted the car but it was in pretty good shape when I bought it.some more photos of the event
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-image2190035260.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-image2507244950.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-image3707072451.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-image3595030747.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-image2029943701.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-image3954187621.jpg  

Old 6th March 2012, 09:56   #1608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim chhapra View Post
Thanks Wasif &DGK this was my first participation in an international event didn't had any idea how the judge but god has been very kind on me Wasif as to you question regarding hupmobile yes I have painted the car but it was in pretty good shape when I bought it.some more photos of the event
Sir you have 2 really outstanding cars and congratulations on bagging the top awards for both your cars. DKG, what is the history of this Silver Ghost?

On another note, the blue and silver Talbot Lago is a previous Pebble Beach Best of Show winner. Was covered some years back in Classic and Sports Car magazine I think, or maybe Autocar UK.

Regards
mbz180
Old 6th March 2012, 10:00   #1609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Sir you have 2 really outstanding cars and congratulations on bagging the top awards for both your cars. DKG, what is the history of this Silver Ghost?

On another note, the blue and silver Talbot Lago is a previous Pebble Beach Best of Show winner. Was covered some years back in Classic and Sports Car magazine I think, or maybe Autocar UK.

Regards
mbz180
That silver and blue Talbot Lago Teardrop Coupe you are refering to belong to the Nethercutt Collection in California.

It used to originally belong to the Maharaja of Kapurthala, it was kept in UK for the use of his wife who was a french lady.

I had seen this car being restored in the JB Nethercutt museum around 2006.

I am not sure if this car in the Kuwait Show is the same one, there were quiet a few of thsi style made and a good number has survived

Last edited by wasif : 6th March 2012 at 10:01.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:09   #1610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
That silver and blue Talbot Lago Teardrop Coupe you are refering to belong to the Nethercutt Collection in California.

It used to originally belong to the Maharaja of Kapurthala, it was kept in UK for the use of his wife who was a french lady.

I had seen this car being restored in the JB Nethercutt museum around 2006.

I am not sure if this car in the Kuwait Show is the same one, there were quiet a few of thsi style made and a good number has survived
Hi Wasif,

Yes, there were quite a few Talbot Lago's made by Saoutchik in the tear drop shape. Why I'm saying that maybe this is the same car that won Best of Show at Pebble Beach is because that car was exactly the same colour combo as this. The JB Nethercutt car you refer to, was that Aubergine (deep purple) single tone with ostrich skin interiors? The car I'm referring to was and then when it was stripped and restored for Pebble it was changed to silver and blue.

Regards
mbz180
Old 6th March 2012, 10:14   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Wasif,

Yes, there were quite a few Talbot Lago's made by Saoutchik in the tear drop shape. Why I'm saying that maybe this is the same car that won Best of Show at Pebble Beach is because that car was exactly the same colour combo as this. The JB Nethercutt car you refer to, was that Aubergine (deep purple) single tone with ostrich skin interiors? The car I'm referring to was and then when it was stripped and restored for Pebble it was changed to silver and blue.

Regards
mbz180
No the Nethercutt car was the PB winner its pictured below and can be seen on the link to the collection.
http://www.nethercuttcollection.org/Cars.aspx

This is the ex Kapurthala car and its in the same color shades as the car in Kuwait but they are different as the Kapurthala / Nethercutt car has full fender skirts on all four wheels.

This was the only chassis to feature full skirts
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-talbot_l.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 6th March 2012 at 10:24.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:21   #1612
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DKG, what is the history of this Silver Ghost?
Apparently Mohammed Ali Jinnah and Lord Mountbatten rode in this car when the declaration of independence was signed. It had been loaned for the occasion by the original owner the Nawab of Bahawalpur, known for one of the most exquisite collection of cars in the subcontinent.

Quote:
I am not sure if this car in the Kuwait Show is the same one
You are correct, apparently it is not, as confirmed by Manvendra Singh.

Last edited by DKG : 6th March 2012 at 10:22.
Old 6th March 2012, 10:44   #1613
BHPian

Quote:
No the Nethercutt car was the PB winner its pictured below and can be seen on the link to the collection.
Automobile History

This is the ex Kapurthala car and its in the same color shades as the car in Kuwait but they are different as the Kapurthala / Nethercutt car has full fender skirts on all four wheels.

This was the only chassis to feature full skirts
I'm a little confused. The Nethercutt car was not the PB winner. Just checked on the PB website to confirm. The 1997 Best of Show winner belonged to a person by the name of William E. Connor II and I now remember this name from the mag that featured the car and its resto. But yes, Connor's car and the Kuwait car are not the same. As you have pointed out, the Kuwait car has fender skirts on all 4 wheels while the Connor car has them only on the rear wheels.

I meant to say Figoni, not Saoutchik

Regards
Prithvi
Old 6th March 2012, 11:12   #1614
Senior - BHPian

The Talbot Lago that was the best of show at Pebbler Beach is 1997 was the Connors car and is very likely the one that was also present at the Kuwait Show.

The Nethercut car is chassis no 90107. It was ordered new by the Maharaja of Kapurthala for the use of his English wife. This car was imported to the US by Luigi Chinetti in 1950. The car was later owned by a lady, Bety Locke, who donated the car to teh nethercutt collection in 2005.

90107 was subsequently the subject of a full restoration at the Nethercutt museum and made its debut at wither the 2007 or 2008 Pebble Beach Concours where it won the Best of class.

90107 is the ONLY Talbot Lago T150 Teardrop Coupe, out of 14 built, that had full fender skirts on all four wheels.

Now the Connors car and teh Nethercutt car share teh same paint scheme hense the confusion.

Here is another link for info on these cars by chassic numbers.

1937 Talbot-Lago T150-C-SS Images, Information and History (T-150 C SS, Competition, Super Sport, Type 150, Gouette d'Eau, Teardrop) | Conceptcarz.com

Pictures of both the Connors car and the Nethercutt car are below for comparison.The first two pictures are of the Nethercutt car and teh last picture is the Connors car which in all probability was the one in Kuwait show
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-37_talbot_lago_t150_css_dv06q_015.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-13049_359637015270_618430270_10222074_8375189_n.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-lead5701.jpg  

Last edited by wasif : 6th March 2012 at 11:14.
Old 6th March 2012, 12:40   #1615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Apparently Mohammed Ali Jinnah and Lord Mountbatten rode in this car when the declaration of independence was signed. It had been loaned for the occasion by the original owner the Nawab of Bahawalpur, known for one of the most exquisite collection of cars in the subcontinent........
Not apparently, it was loaned for sure. For proof see
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...s-cars-12.html post no 179.

That time I had not yet signed up.

Cheers harit

Last edited by harit : 6th March 2012 at 12:42.
Old 7th March 2012, 18:43   #1616
BHPian

Quote:
The Talbot Lago that was the best of show at Pebbler Beach is 1997 was the Connors car and is very likely the one that was also present at the Kuwait Show.

90107 is the ONLY Talbot Lago T150 Teardrop Coupe, out of 14 built, that had full fender skirts on all four wheels.

The first two pictures are of the Nethercutt car and teh last picture is the Connors car which in all probability was the one in Kuwait show

Oops, my bad I hadn't noticed that the Kuwait car didn't have front fender skirts, I mistook it for having them, hence my confusion. Thanks for clarifying Wasif.

Regards
Prithvi
Old 8th March 2012, 23:51   #1617
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Hi Prithvi:
The car should be Chassis 6-UE, which came to India in 1929.

The following is a quote from the Kipling Journal, Dec 1982:

"Rudyard Kipling's 1920 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost has turned up, appropriately enough in the land where so many of his books were set. What is more, this Ghost is still in use... It belongs to a religious sect [in Calcutta] known as the Howra [sic] Temple Trust and is used once each year to carry up to twenty clerics and a 6 cwt solid silver effigy on an eight mile pilgrimage. Fanatical followers shower it with coins and red powder on this journey, a feat it has accomplished every year since 1928.

How do we get to see some pictures ???? Supposedly the car was shown in the Classis & Sportscar Magazine of June / July 1982.
Hi guys, and Travancore especially to you. How better to celebrate our festival of colours-Holi, than with some pics of this elusive Ghost (pun intended).

I thankfully remembered that this RR comes during Holi too and kept a sharp lookout for the last week. No luck, until yesterday! I glanced towards the temple as I had been doing for 6 days on my morning drive to work and lo and behold, there was the car, sprinkled with "red dust". This dust is red gulaal to play with during Holi.

I asked the driver if I could take some pics (sorry guys just a cell cam) and he happily allowed me. Also got to know that it belongs to a Marwari gent who sits in the Kolkata High Court ad probably owns the temple as well. Though I was happy to know and spot the only Silver Ghost known to me in town, I was more sad to see a Silver Ghost in this shape.

I could swear that she had the original head/side lamps and the dual side tyres till the lat time I saw her and no metal cover panel under the radiator grill and those hideous bumpers. Even the dash was in better shape.

Couldn't take any shots of the back as it was against the temple foundations.

Regards
mbz180
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-img00072201203070917.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-img00071201203070916.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-img00067201203070915.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-img00069201203070916.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-img00068201203070915.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-img00070201203070916.jpg  

Attached Images

mbz180 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 08:49   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Dear Mbz 180 thank you for the information. It hurts to see the car kept this way. But keeping with tradition and current appauling conditions in india the bumpers and certain modifications are to keep the tradition alive. I am in appreciation to these facts.

The rear looks chopped to fit the silver staircase type stand. While lights must have been changed due to practicality . Look like Lucas lights with a ring. The dash is dirty in up keep , except for an ambassador switch on the far left , the Rest looks in place.

It survives which is great. And thanks its a good reference set of snap and update for records.

Cheers

Quote:
Hi guys, and Travancore especially to you. How better to celebrate our festival of colours-Holi, than with some pics of this elusive Ghost (pun intended).

I thankfully remembered that this RR comes during Holi too and kept a sharp lookout for the last week. No luck, until yesterday! I glanced towards the temple as I had been doing for 6 days on my morning drive to work and lo and behold, there was the car, sprinkled with "red dust". This dust is red gulaal to play with during Holi.

I asked the driver if I could take some pics (sorry guys just a cell cam) and he happily allowed me. Also got to know that it belongs to a Marwari gent who sits in the Kolkata High Court ad probably owns the temple as well. Though I was happy to know and spot the only Silver Ghost known to me in town, I was more sad to see a Silver Ghost in this shape.

I could swear that she had the original head/side lamps and the dual side tyres till the lat time I saw her and no metal cover panel under the radiator grill and those hideous bumpers. Even the dash was in better shape.

Couldn't take any shots of the back as it was against the temple foundations.

Regards
mbz180

Last edited by kasli : 9th March 2012 at 08:51.
Old 9th March 2012, 09:59   #1619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post

The rear looks chopped to fit the silver staircase type stand. The dash is dirty in up keep , except for an ambassador switch on the far left , the Rest looks in place.
Wow, Kasli you really do have eagle eyes, don't you! Could never have spotted the Ambassador knob on the dash if you hadn't pointed it out.

The rear is sort of chopped; the doors have been done away with and an over sized multi decked dais has been installed for carrying the silver Deity to the temple for the annual visit.

I was hoping to see the car again today but she's gone, back to hibernation for a year.

mbz180
Old 9th March 2012, 12:50   #1620
Senior - BHPian

Hi Prithvi

I am surprised that Kolkata does not have other ghosts. Anyways the car certainly is a part of some overall religious myth and will remain in this role for time to come. I was almost reminded of human/animal sacrifices where the unfortunate victim is smeared by vermillion/gulal. Is there a way of ascertaining its engine chassis no? thanks for the pics. BTW the bumper guards are very similar to a 220S ponton

Last edited by the mole : 9th March 2012 at 12:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks