Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 11:19   #1771
BHPian

re: Classic Rolls Royces in India

Hi Vinay, My friends in DXX 123 have crossed the border and are relaxing in Kathmandu. Soon they will set off for Gauhati and Nagaland, then they will either come to Calcutta for the Statesman Rally on the 13th of january, or proceed to Dhaka. Will update, nearer the time.
Bulldogji is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2012, 17:03   #1772
BHPian

Hello Bulldogji, is DXX 123 a 20/25 RR? Are there any more pictures of the trip? Also do they have a blog or are there plans on writing an article/book about it? I absolutely adore this kind of trips, had acquaintances who crossed Africa in a Phantom I, and am planning to zig zag India and China too once I find the time and money...
Old 24th November 2012, 12:29   #1773
BHPian

Hi Daniel, DXX 123 is a 25/30 RR. They do plan to write about their Indian experiences, will let you know details later. Tomorrow they leave Kathmandu and drive back to India, Kalimpong, Gauhati, onwards to Nagaland , hopefully by Xmas. Then to either Calcutta in time for the Statesman rally on January 13th, or Dhaka, Bangladesh. The car has performed nicely so far, with no major hiccups. A seventy odd year car, driven by a couple in their sixties. Amazing, to say the least. Encouraged by their club back home. Earlier, they crossed the Sahara, over a period of nine days with their young daughters, on camels. I guess a Rolls, even seventy years old, would be more comfortable.
Bulldogji is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2012, 10:53   #1774
BHPian

Hello Bulldog, thanks for the update, and please keep us informed, I so much like these trips and would have loved to meet your friends. Maybe I'll meet them back in England one day.As for the age of the car, impressive, considering the roads and distances. But a couple in their sixities is nowadays to be considered in their second puberty :-)
For a really old driver, see my grandmother (born 1920) in our Citroen 5CV (1923): a combined age of 181 years...
China 019.zip
Philedonos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2012, 15:35   #1775
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday I happened to meet someone who told me about a Rolls Royce in Pune at the gorgeous bungalow 'South Court' in Koregaon Park, Pune. It was described to him by his elders as a very striking open car. The South Court was I think at the time with the Wadia/Dalal family, connection with the Wadia stud farm.

Can any seniors remember this car? Unfortunately no more details on the car itself.
Old 5th December 2012, 18:12   #1776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Yesterday I happened to meet someone who told me about a Rolls Royce in Pune at the gorgeous bungalow 'South Court' in Koregaon Park, Pune. It was described to him by his elders as a very striking open car. The South Court was I think at the time with the Wadia/Dalal family, connection with the Wadia stud farm.

Can any seniors remember this car? Unfortunately no more details on the car itself.
Subject to correction, I show the following Wadia cars:

K.D. Wadia: Silver Ghost 88-AG Maythorn Touring

Sir Nowrosjee Wadia: PI 30-WR Barker Sedanca de Ville
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2012, 12:27   #1777
Distinguished - BHPian

A Silver Ghost with some Indian connections is offered for sale.

http://www.prewarcar.com/index.php?o...316&Itemid=432

1920 Silver ghost Barker Cabriolet
Chassis Number 46PE
Barker body number 2999
Old 4th January 2013, 13:34   #1778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
I am not very sure but some vague memories of reading about a silver bodied RR at Vizianagaram and a car that was buried? Or am I confusing it with another state?

BTW does anyone have details of the Faridkot cars that still remain. There maybe a RR or two and some Bentleys ? Some aircraft too !
Recently when i visited Vizianagaram, i have seen a RR being burried slowly. i have not taken the pic, But i do not know whether this is the same car being discussed, i will ask my brother to send a PIC from the present day and publish the same.
phanitha is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 13:01   #1779
BHPian

An update on my friends and DXX 123. They had a delightful journey in India and Nepal, having driven thru Assam and Nagaland, before crossing over to Bangladesh. Here they encountered Babudom at its best. Apparently Bangladesh does not recognize any carnets. Result? They had to leave the car at the border, go into Dhaka, pull strings from London, and hopefully will be re united with their car soon. They even sailed down the Bhramaputra for a week, with the rolls protruding a foot each side of the boat. Maybe, just maybe, they may eventually come back to Bombay end february, before finally sailing back home. If that happens, I will organize a meet for sure.
Bulldogji is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th January 2013, 14:30   #1780
Senior - BHPian

It would be great if we can meet them before they depart back with the car in end feb. They must have some stories for sure to share

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
An update on my friends and DXX 123. They had a delightful journey in India and Nepal, having driven thru Assam and Nagaland, before crossing over to Bangladesh. Here they encountered Babudom at its best. Apparently Bangladesh does not recognize any carnets. Result? They had to leave the car at the border, go into Dhaka, pull strings from London, and hopefully will be re united with their car soon. They even sailed down the Bhramaputra for a week, with the rolls protruding a foot each side of the boat. Maybe, just maybe, they may eventually come back to Bombay end february, before finally sailing back home. If that happens, I will organize a meet for sure.
Old 11th January 2013, 14:45   #1781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
An update on my friends and DXX 123. They had a delightful journey in India and Nepal, having driven thru Assam and Nagaland, before crossing over to Bangladesh.
Sir, are they going to be there for the Kolkata Statesman Rally due to be held over this weekend?
Old 11th January 2013, 15:44   #1782
BHPian

Although the plan was to come for the statesman rally, they went off to Dhaka and are currently still in Bangladesh. I will keep you updated as and when I get any news. Have fun over the next two days. If you are entering a car , all the best.
Old 13th January 2013, 18:03   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasli View Post
It would be great if we can meet them before they depart back with the car in end feb. They must have some stories for sure to share Cheers
Kasli has a good idea, lets invite them for dinner, contributory in equal division where they don't pay. Lets see if this is possible, they come to Mumbai when we are generally free, not during the Sula run where regretfully many of us willl have to skip the NCPA/Trident event due to prior committments

Cheers harit
Old 16th January 2013, 02:48   #1784
Distinguished - BHPian

Dharbanga RR PI

This car in featured in the BBC documentary ""Maharajas Motor Car. The car is probably in the Sanghi collection.

Manvendra Singh describes it as an ex-Darbhanga Maharani "Phantom I".

Is this really a Phantom I; does anyone have any more info on this car ?

Classic Rolls Royces in India-dharbanga-maharani-rr-pi-bbc.jpg
Old 16th January 2013, 09:26   #1785
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dharbanga RR PI

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
The car is probably in the Sanghi collection.
it most certainly is in the Sanghi collection. Extremely imposing car, very impressive. I remember seeing MBI 112 when I visited the collection.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks