Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Rolls-Royce Phantom II cars sent to India

Extracted from records in
Rolls-Royce The Derby Phantoms Lawrence Dalton
JulianUK, great work. Just adding a few more from the same source:

Indian Stock
April 1930 91XJ Open Touring Barker

Maharaja of Rewa - Car at Blackhawk Museum (listed as A.Mertzanoff in book)
May, 1930 179XJ Barker Boat tailed tourer

Travancore State
July 1930 85GN Hooper Limousine

Raja of Parlakimedi
Sept 1930 27GY Barker Open Touring Body

Maharaja of Patiala - per Windovers History (listed as Paris Salon 1930)
Nov 1930 Windovers Limousine

Prince of Gondal
Dec 1930 132GY Barker Open Touring Body

Mrs. E.C. Wilkin (Bangalore)
Oct 1932 114MS Hooper Saloon Limousine
Old 28th March 2008, 11:09   #92
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Thought I read in a link from Team-BHP that the second car (TDV-1) is ex-Jaipur, now in Coimbatore (?). Cannot remember which link it was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xoticars View Post
Deepak, the bigger car is the Sanghi car. The dark blue car is believed to be an ex Jaipur car. The owner lives in Coimbatore, and that's what he told me. A nice car.
Thank you gentlemen, I stand corrected.
Old 30th March 2008, 02:30   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=Julian UK;776631]1932 20/25hp chassis GKT41 with sports open tourer for the Rajah of Mandi. Two similar designs of body were also fitted to 1933 Phantom II chassis also for India.

1932 20/25hp chassis GKT41

This car - GKT41 (now painted red) is wth the Bhogilal collection

Another photo of the Phantom III chassis 3CP116 in front of the Hooper factory at Park Royal, with cabriolet coachwork by Windovers, delivered to HH Prince Azam Jah Berar of Hyderabad in February 1938. The same car as was tracked down by Travencore to its present location about 5 miles from its original body builder Hooper in Park Royal London.
Ironic.
Attachment 4480

A small correction to above statement - the above car (3CP116) after the modfication (de-glamoured !)by Hooper, was used as the State Car of the Portugese President and is with the Caramulo Museum in Portugal.

The car with Vale Weddings in London is the ex-Baroda Phantom III (3BT121) with a body by Mayfair and exhibited originally at the Paris Expo. Thanks
Old 30th March 2008, 17:46   #94
BHPian

Thank you for the correction
Old 30th March 2008, 19:12   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

[quote=Julian UK;776631]1932 20/25hp chassis GKT41 with sports open tourer for the Rajah of Mandi. Two similar designs of body were also fitted to 1933 Phantom II chassis also for India.

The two Phantom II's that had similar duck-tail bodies are the Jaipur "Tiger's Eye", shown elsewhere on the thread;
and the 1932 PII (Chassis 44MY) belonging to the Mir of Khairpur (now in Pakistan)

Below: 20/25 HP GKT 41 (Bhogilal Collection) - do not know source of picture

Classic Rolls Royces in India-mandi-rr-2025-1932-gkt41-side-3q.jpg

Khairpur 1932 P-II (Chassis 44MY) source: Rolls Royce Motors
Classic Rolls Royces in India-khairpur-rolls-royce-phantom-ii-1932-hooper.jpg
Old 30th March 2008, 21:09   #96
Distinguished - BHPian

A few misc Bhogilal Rollers.

I think this was a P3. Pics - BSM.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bhogilal09.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bhogilal11.jpg

Interesting Boat tail.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bhogilal13.jpg

I remember this car being ex Travancore. Am I right, Travancore?

Classic Rolls Royces in India-bhogilal21.jpg

A 20hp (?)

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls01.jpg

Ex Jaipur car, painted in 97 to commemorate 50 years of India's independance.

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls02.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls03.jpg

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls04.jpg
Old 31st March 2008, 06:48   #97
BHPian

Absolutely FABULOUS !!!

Keep up the amazing work and thank you very much for letting us mere mortals an insight into such a detailed history of this astonishing marque.

Look forward to learning a lot more...

Just out of curiosity, when and how did these cars leave Indian shores ??
Old 31st March 2008, 10:07   #98
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the 1926 Phantom I Chassis no. 71DC with Barker open tourer body owned by the Nawab Wali Ud Dowla of Hyderabad
Nawab Wali-ud-Dowla was the younger son of Sir Vicar-ul-Umra who built the fabulous Falaknuma Palace and had to sell it to his ruler the Nizam even before he used it.

Ironically this RR and a 20 hp model were with Wali-ud-Dowla's son Habeeb Jung for years till late sixties/early seventies and although his daughter was my classmate I never knew there were two RR's in their garages!!! Sadly before I awakened to the treasures of yesteryear automobiles these RR's were sold and left Hyderabad.

Of the other RR's in Hyderabad, the following are some people who I am aware had RR's

Raja Pratapgirji (20 hp was sold for Rs 5000 in 60's/70's)
Raja Dhanrajgirji (Dad remembers his car to be a larger Rolls in blue with aluminium finish)
Raja of Jatprol (again a larger RR will try to get pictures from his son)
Nawab Dawood Jung
Dara Chenoy
Alam Yar Jung (20 hp)
Hyderabad being the wealthiest/largest of the princely states the city had many other RR's, will find out more and post.

Once a breaker/salvage yard owner told me his grandfather destroyed 14 RR's, often the metal being used for sand carrying pans! I told him if only they had stashed these cars away they wouldn't have to work for atleast three more generations. Sadly many a great automobile in prinstine condition were demolished as they were no longer being used/replaced with modern cars.

Last edited by DKG : 31st March 2008 at 10:12.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:00   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is Telco's famous Rolls. Bought donkeys years ago as junk from an erstwhile Maharaja, the car was restored ground up by the trainees and others at Telco. My father recalls that Moolgaokar spearheaded the project to train the apprentices. They seemed to have done a great job, and the car was a regular prize winner. I last saw it at a rally in 93.

I was told they later opened the engine to overhaul, and the job of sleeving was outsourced to local turner, who cracked the block. Why the Tata Rolls should be opened outside I have no idea! And Im sure they have the capabilities to cast a new block as well, but nothing seems to be happening. I shot these pics exactly a year ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls04.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls06.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls08.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls09.jpg  

Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls11.jpg  

karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2008, 15:04   #100
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Is this car not a 20hp (horizontal slat grill set)? The signboard seems to incorrectly refer to it as a 26 silver ghost?

Last edited by DKG : 31st March 2008 at 15:05.
Old 31st March 2008, 15:16   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Is this car not a 20hp (horizontal slat grill set)? The signboard seems to incorrectly refer to it as a 26 silver ghost?
Thats why I haven't mentioned the model name, as I too had the same doubt. Were the later Ghosts also offered with this grille perhaps? Or the grille itself later changed? Julian and others, help!

They refused to let me photograph under the bonnet as the engine is opened.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:03   #102
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
Thats why I haven't mentioned the model name, as I too had the same doubt. Were the later Ghosts also offered with this grille perhaps? Or the grille itself later changed? Julian and others, help!

They refused to let me photograph under the bonnet as the engine is opened.
Karlos I too have limited knowledge of RR's but from what I recall reading the last of the Ghosts was 1925. The horizontal slat grill was always for the 20 hp Rolls or the baby RR's. The Ghosts always had the radiator exposed and it was the New Phantom or the Phantom 1 which received the louvered parthenon style grill.

Someone please correct me if I got that wrong.

PS: The 20 HP model lasted from 1922 to 1929 as per the chassis list posted earlier

Last edited by DKG : 31st March 2008 at 16:06.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:32   #103
BHPian

Definitely a 20hp.
Old 31st March 2008, 16:46   #104
BHPian

1930 Rolls-Royce Phantom II Boat tail (built by Barker) ?
This unique example of a stylish and flamboyant hunting car was custom-built and outfitted for the Maharajah of Rewa of India. The sculpted boat tail design has wood veneer strips on the top portion of the rear deck, much like the veneer on a wooden speedboat.

The caption for this car says it’s a Barker body, but the records say the
Maharajah of Rewa bought this car with a Hooper body:
Phantom II 86XJ Hooper Open Tourer in Feb 1930.
Over to you Travencore?
Classic Rolls Royces in India-technikmuseum_rollsroycephantom-rewa.jpg
Image from Old Rolls-Royce - Page 3 - German Car Zone

An interesting topic is that of Indian Coachbuilders. This photo mentions a company called Khan. Does anyone know anything about them? The Darbhanga Delauney-Belleville’s body was built by the French Motor Car Co. in Calcutta (it has their plates on it).
Classic Rolls Royces in India-khan.jpg
Image from Rolls-Royce by George Bishop

1921 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost
Classic Rolls Royces in India-steuart-21_rolls_silver_ghost_dv_0609.jpg
Attachment 4806
Image from Concept Carz and Prototype Vehicles

Factory Records show that 47 AG was ordered by G Mein Austin of Calcutta, Rolls-Royce agent, for his esteemed customer, His Highness the Raja of Santosh. The car was shipped to Bombay on 14th April 1921. Although Factory Records do not detail the coachbuilder, it has been suggested that the elegant aluminium coachwork was crafted originally by Stuarts of Calcutta and Factory Records show that the chassis was specifically designed to carry ‘6 seater Open Touring’ coachwork. It appears that the car was later owned by The Hon. Raja Sir Manmath Ray Chowdhury, Kt. of Santosh, and by 1927 was in the ownership of a Mrs Burchard in Paris. It seems likely that the magnificent Stephen Grebel headlamps and the running board-mounted tiger-hunting spotlight would be original fittings, in common with many other Silver Ghosts supplied to valued Maharaja customers. In later life the fenders have been modernised in 1930’s fashion and this feature has been retained by subsequent owners. From Bonhams auction 2005 details

Stuart? I thought it was Steuart.

Steuart and Co., coachbuilders
Robert Steuart, the coachmaker, was designated "state coach-maker" as early as 1795. He produced palankeens for the Mysore princes on the order of Cornwallis. The firms had contracts for the state howdah for the Prince of Wales' visit in 1876, a silver-decorated carriage for the Maharajah of Jind in 1878, as well as carriages for the Newab of Bhawalpore, the Commander-in-Chief of Nepal and the Amir of Kabul.

Last edited by GTO : 1st April 2008 at 10:00. Reason: As per Julians request
Old 31st March 2008, 18:39   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
An interesting topic is that of Indian Coachbuilders. This photo mentions a company called Khan. Does anyone know anything about them?
Ive seen pictures of this same car elsewhere, in one of my books. Ill try digging it up, will take some time!

Quote:
1921 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost
Attachment 4805
Attachment 4806
Image from Concept Carz and Prototype Vehicles

Stuart? I thought it was Steuart.

Steuart and Co., coachbuilders
Robert Steuart, the coachmaker, was designated "state coach-maker" as early as 1795. He produced palankeens for the Mysore princes on the order of Cornwallis. The firms had contracts for the state howdah for the Prince of Wales' visit in 1876, a silver-decorated carriage for the Maharajah of Jind in 1878, as well as carriages for the Newab of Bhawalpore, the Commander-in-Chief of Nepal and the Amir of Kabul.
There are 2 cars, which one is the second?

Most Viewed