Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2008, 10:11   #721
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Is that an original body or something reconstructed from drawings? Looks odd, a poor execution even if it were an original.
Isn't this the car? In a previous avtar I guess.
Attached Thumbnails
Classic Rolls Royces in India-rolls21.jpg  

Old 30th August 2008, 12:37   #722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
they both look Distinctively different but i shall check with my Father. Maybe they were before and after restoration pictures of the same car or two totally different cars. i shall confirm on this.

Last edited by speedy : 30th August 2008 at 12:43.
Old 30th August 2008, 12:44   #723
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Having limited knowledge of Bentley and RR cars please don't take my comment too seriously but a lot of cars in the museum at Ahmedabad seem to have had their bodies tinkered with. Many felt odd. It would help if all such modifications are documented and not passed off as originals. That is assuming they were altered/rebuilt in the first place. I have rarely come across an original shape by a British coachbuilder where the proportions felt odd. I didn't feel comfortable looking at so many of the cars there. Something amiss. This orange car seems too homespun!
Old 30th August 2008, 13:00   #724
BHPian

Identification (re. #718/719)

It is a 1965 Phantom V, chassis 5VD65 which is in the Bhogilal collection. I'll try now to id. the last one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Great photos Speedy! Keep them coming!
I can see:
1st photo
1937 Phantom III #3BU82 Hooper Sedanca de Ville Maharani of Nabha
2nd photo
1937 Phantom III #3BU50 Thrupp and Maberly Landaulette Maharajah of Darbhanga
3rd photo
1932 20/25hp GKT41 1932 Series TB Hooper Tourer Maharajah of Mandi
4th Photo
Unknown Phantom I or Late Silver Ghost (from the fuel tank shape and non visible cantilever rear leaf springs). Do you have any history?
5th Photo
Phantom V (1959-1968) This must be the Park Ward design built by H J Mulliner after the amalgamation of the 2 companies? It must be a late model as 1960 would have only 2 headlights.
See Rolls-Royce Phantom V

Thanks for posting.
Old 30th August 2008, 13:06   #725
BHPian

Id. re posts #718*721

Karlos is absolutely correct, this is Phantom I chassis #46OR owned by P. Bhogilal. The original body on this chassis was a Barker limousine which is now on chassis 27EH (?). It is the modified tri-coloured car in his collection and was posted on this forum.

Quote:
Old 30th August 2008, 14:04   #726
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by park-ward View Post
Karlos is absolutely correct, this is Phantom I chassis #46OR owned by P. Bhogilal. The original body on this chassis was a Barker limousine which is now on chassis 27EH (?). It is the modified tri-coloured car in his collection and was posted on this forum.
That's very interesting, I had no idea that he even switched bodies amongst his own cars! So what body did the tricolour car originally have?
Old 30th August 2008, 14:10   #727
BHPian

27eh

Quote:
That's very interesting, I had no idea that he even switched bodies amongst his own cars! So what body did the tricolour car originally have?
It was a Hooper limousine.
Old 30th August 2008, 15:22   #728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
It was a Hooper limousine.
Just had a word with my father. All three cars are different and no body was changed in Bombay as far as his knowledge goes. In Ahemdabad the cars were just painted. i would be going to Ahemdabad in a month so would get the chasis numbers of the cars. it would make things clearer. i am so confused right now .

@ DKG they might appear that way as no tin work was done just an over coat of paint to make them look fresh for the museum.
Old 30th August 2008, 15:37   #729
BHPian

body changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Just had a word with my father. All three cars are different and no body was changed in Bombay as far as his knowledge goes. In Ahemdabad the cars were just painted. i would be going to Ahemdabad in a month so would get the chasis numbers of the cars. it would make things clearer. i am so confused right now .

@ DKG they might appear that way as no tin work was done just an over coat of paint to make them look fresh for the museum.
My source is P. Bhogilal himself in a letter he sent to the RREC in 1978 and published in the bulletin. Actually he changed 4 bodies, the cars concerned are 40PK, 46OR, 80EF, 27EH.
park-ward is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2008, 16:05   #730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My source is P. Bhogilal himself in a letter he sent to the RREC in 1978 and published in the bulletin. Actually he changed 4 bodies, the cars concerned are 40PK, 46OR, 80EF, 27EH.
these were not done in Bombay so i have mentioned. in Ahemdabad we know they were only painted. this is news to me too, by the way i was born in 78. so what happened before my birth i dont know .
Old 30th August 2008, 22:06   #731
DKG
Senior - BHPian

@Speedy not to worry we'll go about this methodically. When you are in Ahmedabad please try to get chassis numbers for all the RR's there along with their pictures. Then using the help of the experts here we'll ascertain what original body each car came in. We should try to build a record for each car as Steve has done for the PIII's.

@Park-Ward it would help if like Steve's records we post with pictures and the accompanying legends. It would be more convincing if I may suggest
Old 31st August 2008, 02:05   #732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
@Park-Ward it would help if like Steve's records we post with pictures and the accompanying legends. It would be more convincing if I may suggest
Those who are aware of Park Ward’s experience and from where the information comes from don’t need it to be any more “convincing”, it doesn’t come any better anywhere. It is like having a free window into the most extensive Rolls-Royce archives and recognition expertise in the world.
We perhaps should not look a gift horse in the mouth?

How about a record of India Packard cars with the same depth DKG? You are the best person to do it. I wouldn’t know a Packard chassis number if it hit me on the head.
Old 31st August 2008, 21:42   #733
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian UK View Post
Those who are aware of Park Ward’s experience and from where the information comes from don’t need it to be any more “convincing”
I think the manner in which Steve has shared info here is truly remarkable and its only a suggestion that others do something as comprehensive with a combination of pictures and data. Such a suggestion does not question the veracity of statements made by anyone or their credibility. I don't think anyone here posts from a position of authority so lets dispense with any such assumed stature.

Quote:
How about a record of India Packard cars with the same depth DKG?
Most RR historians have the luxury of factory records as a starting point. Sadly all the Packard factory records were destroyed in a fire and one of the most comprehencsive books on the marque is "Packard- A history of the Motor Car and the Compnay" by Beverly Rae Kimes. As for the India Packards Manvendra Singh has already painstakingly compiled a record of some Packards that came to India some of which are featured in his book.
Old 31st August 2008, 23:19   #734
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Julian a lot of us go by the quality of the post to judge as to whether someone is speaking from a well researched vantage point or simply shooting from the hip. I honestly have no clue as to the background of many people who post here, so please don't hold that against me if I have failed to recognise some noteworthy historian in our midst. It would indeed help if you could do the courtesy of introducing some of the people here whom you seem to know well.

I hope you realise that avatars don't say much. In Steve's case the manner and style of his posts left no doubt as to the extent of hard work that went into compiling that information. He obviously enjoys our respect and admiration. I see no reason why others shouldn't. If their posts don't do them justice, perhaps your introduction will.

Last edited by DKG : 31st August 2008 at 23:22.
Old 1st September 2008, 03:04   #735
BHPian

Deepak,
With respect I really don't understand what you are getting at.
There are many different types of members who contribute in many different ways
Some contribute many photos and extensive information
Some contribute many photos and some information and get things wrong sometimes, (that sounds like me)
Some contribute extensive information
Some contribute many photos but get the information wrong
Some contribute very little really but seem to ramble on and on sometimes.
Some pop in when time permits them to and accurately identify previously unknown cars. For this we are particularily grateful.
All are very valuable members and all have their place.

I am very happy to be part of this magnificent forum and everyone here has his/her (you never know) place , no contest, no judgement, no assumptions or presumptions about others expertise, no pronouncement or judgement on any expected quality or quantity of posts, its all good and nice to see, just good humoured pursuit of an interest common to all. Above all this is an India inspired forum and I am just a temporary guest, thank you for having me team-bhp.

Now someone sent me this photo and says it is Silver Ghost #60588 a 1907 car. But the photo I have of #60588 when nearly new is a Landaulette, this car doesn't look anything like it, its a tourer?
Can anyone help with identifying this Silver Ghost?
Classic Rolls Royces in India-maybe-60588.jpg
photo by Henk

Also regarding Silver Ghost #2154 1912 Barker Tourer "Taj Mahal" Maharajah of Nabha. I have these 2 photos and at some point the windscreen has been changed, I think these are the same car but when was the screen changed?
Classic Rolls Royces in India-2154-1912-barker-tourer-taj-mahal-nabha.jpg
Photos from team-bhp and a rally photo not sure where.

I think there is someone who can help....

Last edited by Julian UK : 1st September 2008 at 03:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks