Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2012, 11:05   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Lagonda cars in India

Not an Indian car, but coming to visit. Along with a Lanchester nonetheless! Would anyone know if this is some special event?

http://www.prewarcar.com/magazine/pr...an-018296.html
Old 11th September 2012, 10:57   #107
BHPian

Hi Karl, You state that a Lagonda and Lanchester are coming for a visit, driving in Rajasthan this October. My friends from the UK are coming around the same time with their Rolls. They are also driving to Rajasthan, and later on to other distant places as well. Depending on their dates and schedules, I will try to organize a meet. Of course in this case, unlike the Zapp family, they are self funded, just coming to drive around India and meet friends.
Bulldogji is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2012, 19:48   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji View Post
Hi Karl, You state that a Lagonda and Lanchester are coming for a visit, driving in Rajasthan this October. My friends from the UK are coming around the same time with their Rolls. They are also driving to Rajasthan, and later on to other distant places as well. Depending on their dates and schedules, I will try to organize a meet. Of course in this case, unlike the Zapp family, they are self funded, just coming to drive around India and meet friends.
That would be great, if we can catch all of them in Mumbai together. We could make a small drive out of it. Count me in!
Old 11th September 2012, 22:21   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogji
Bulldogji , let's try and see if we can catch up with them over dinner or even a wonderful drive and breakfast and if we can connect the two parties together during that time . Hear their experiences and the troubles they faced in general.

Thanks
Old 19th July 2013, 02:45   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

Another "cow bell" Lagonda, a la Bhavnagar State.

A rare "ex-India" gem or yet another Maharaja wannabe ? You decide

BCCM St. Moritz 2012, credit: Flickr / Sroad5

Lagonda cars in India-india-lagonda-maybe.jpg
travancore is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2013, 09:54   #111
BHPian

My father tells me, while he was in boarding school in Dehradun in the '60s, the second headmaster, an Englishman by the name of John (J.A.K.) Martyn, had a Lagonda with bicycle type fenders which would turn with the front wheels. Has anyone heard of such a car?
mbz180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:34   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
My father tells me, while he was in boarding school in Dehradun in the '60s, the second headmaster, an Englishman by the name of John (J.A.K.) Martyn, had a Lagonda with bicycle type fenders which would turn with the front wheels. Has anyone heard of such a car?
There is a surviving Lagonda in Bombay, probably rebodied in a sporty roadster style with cycle fenders. It previously spent some time in Bangalore and Hyderabad? Currently MMF registered in a large Bombay collection. It is likely to be the previously Bihar registered car which was seen in many period races, campaigned by Tutu Imam.

Now here is a formal Lagonda landaulette that would regularly attend events in Calcutta (does it still?). Any known history on the car? Being a Landaulette there should be some provenance.

Lagonda cars in India-lagonda.jpg

EDIT - or am I confusing the car with a Sunbeam?

Lagonda cars in India-sunbeam02.jpg

Last edited by karlosdeville : 3rd September 2014 at 09:38.
Old 3rd September 2014, 09:47   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Now here is a formal Lagonda landaulette that would regularly attend events in Calcutta (does it still?). Any known history on the car? Being a Landaulette there should be some provenance.
Karl,

Are you sure the car pictured is a Lagonda and not a Sunbeam? If it is the latter (I think it is), then I saw a very similar car in the Calcutta Rally some years back in red and black livery owned at the time and freshly restored by the late Shashi Kanoria. Very much like the Sunbeam that Doc has. That Calcutta car left shortly thereafter-where is it now?

BTW, after cross-checking with my father, the Lagonda I mentioned was not owned by a Headmaster of The Doon School but by a visiting English teacher at the school who brought the car with him and then supposedly took it back to England after his stint in India. The car must have been very similar to the Lagonda pictured in this forum which is in the Bhogilal collection with swivelling bicycle fenders (deep red I think).

Edit: Lol...yes, you have probably confused it with the Sunbeam that I just mentioned above and after posting I saw your post!

Last edited by mbz180 : 3rd September 2014 at 09:49.
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:58   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There is a surviving Lagonda in Bombay,..... Tutu Imam. Now here is a formal Lagonda landaulette that ...........

You bet you are

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbz180 View Post
Karl,

Are you sure the car pictured is a Lagonda and not a Sunbeam? If it is .....
BTW, after cross-checking with my father, the Lagonda I mentioned .....
The confusion to Karl is likely to have been caused by this car below, seen earlier in this thread, a car from east of India, now in a collection in Delhi but she was in Mumbai for a short while. The rear end of the body is not original.

Lagonda cars in India-lagon.jpg

The mention of MMF puzzles me, it was intensely discussed in this thread. With the knowledge of today the story of MMF is slightly different in terms of location sequence, Bihar, Calcutta, Bangalore/Bombay, Hyderabad, Chennai, and back to Bombay.

Prithvi, in which year was the Lagonda in Doon school?

The Sunbeam coachwork is so similar to another British car I know of.

There is one more Lagonda in India which is not yet pictured in this thread.

Cheers harit
harit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 17:17   #115
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Sunbeam Landaulette is now in Odisha. You can see the picture of this car on the wall of Sanjay Ghosh's office.

Cheers

KPS
KPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2014, 20:55   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
Prithvi, in which year was the Lagonda in Doon school?

The Sunbeam coachwork is so similar to another British car I know of. Cheers harit
I just asked my father; he remembers vaguely that the car was owned by an Englishman by the name of Jim Crow and this would be in 1962-63. He taught in school for only one year and then returned to England. The car was a two door sporty convertible and was dark green.

Aah, similar coachwork, a car you know well? Your Humber of course;-)

Last edited by mbz180 : 3rd September 2014 at 20:56.
Old 16th June 2015, 11:43   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

This letter to the Motor Sport Magzine was published in 1954 here talking of Tutu Imam's well known Lagonda.

Lagonda cars in India-01.jpg

Lagonda cars in India-01a.jpg
karlosdeville is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2015, 18:22   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This letter to the Motor Sport Magzine was published in 1954 here talking of Tutu Imam's well known Lagonda.

Attachment 1382512

Attachment 1382513
Thanks Karl. Does she still exist ? I had posted the picture earlier, but no responses !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3686778
travancore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 10:25   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by travancore View Post
Thanks Karl. Does she still exist ? I had posted the picture earlier, but no responses !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ml#post3686778
I have a feeling it may be the Special currently in the Mallya collection, MMF registered and with local sporty coachwork. But its just a guess.
karlosdeville is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2015, 08:51   #120
BHPian

http://www.goodingco.com/vehicle/193...a-v-12-rapide/
awini is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks