Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2009, 22:39   #76
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a milne View Post
The red SS I understand was initially a sedan that Kanoria had started to convert to a SS-1 similar to the one Mittal purchased. P. S. Bose purchased it a number of years back as a rough shell and has done an remarkable job bring it back to life. You might say it is a hi-bred at this point.
Thanks for the clarification John. Also of the louvered bonnet being a later add on

Quote:
In correspondence with the Daimler- Jaguar Heritage Trust they advised me that they have no SS-1 registered from India and asked that I assist them in tracking any here.
John do check out the MYTVS rally thread which showcases a stunning SS1 belonging to fellow TBHPian Harry Weslake. She carries the reg TMC 21. The car apparently has been painstakingly restored to a very high standard and possibly is the finest SS1 in India
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:02   #77
BHPian

Jaguar Daimler Heritage Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG View Post
Thanks for the clarification John. Also of the louvered bonnet being a later add on

John do check out the MYTVS rally thread which showcases a stunning SS1 belonging to fellow TBHPian Harry Weslake. She carries the reg TMC 21. The car apparently has been painstakingly restored to a very high standard and possibly is the finest SS1 in India
Would request you to contact any owners of pre-war Jaguars, requesting them to contact the trust and notify them of our hidden treasures here in India.
Old 3rd February 2009, 18:18   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Would request you to contact any owners of pre-war Jaguars, requesting them to contact the trust and notify them of our hidden treasures here in India.
I just checked your garage out. Wow what lovely Packards, would like to know a little more history.

I have an older cousin who lives close to RM Auctions in south western Ontario who has a remarkable stable of cars, the oldest a 1904 or 05 Cadillac that is virtually original bit the pride of the family is the Packard that the Mayor of New York give to Charles Lindbergh after he had flown the Atlantic.

Wesley purchased it from a Toronto collector who was in the middle of nasty divorce a number of years back and had a 1-1/2 man restoration Works in his town do it up to a 99+pt car four years back. They put about 1,900 hours into the restoration. When we visited the works he had a 30,s Packard finished in a dove grey waiting to be picked up. Also truly magnificent!

I will try and forward you some photos when I return to Toronto.

Have you checked out RM Auctions on google yet? If not it has the finest mother-load of fine cars any where to be found. I attended their Phoenix Auction four years back, 120 cars went for about $20,000,000. they can still be seen on their web-site.

Last edited by john a milne : 3rd February 2009 at 18:21. Reason: correction
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:33   #79
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just checked your garage out. Wow what lovely Packards, would like to know a little more history.
Thanks and do check out this thread for more on our cars

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/pre-19...lection-3.html

Quote:
I have an older cousin who lives close to RM Auctions in south western Ontario who has a remarkable stable of cars, the oldest a 1904 or 05 Cadillac that is virtually original bit the pride of the family is the Packard that the Mayor of New York give to Charles Lindbergh after he had flown the Atlantic.

Wesley purchased it from a Toronto collector who was in the middle of nasty divorce a number of years back and had a 1-1/2 man restoration Works in his town do it up to a 99+pt car four years back. They put about 1,900 hours into the restoration. When we visited the works he had a 30,s Packard finished in a dove grey waiting to be picked up. Also truly magnificent!

I will try and forward you some photos when I return to Toronto.

Have you checked out RM Auctions on google yet? If not it has the finest mother-load of fine cars any where to be found. I attended their Phoenix Auction four years back, 120 cars went for about $20,000,000. they can still be seen on their web-site.
RM Auctions are without a doubt the premier event for vintage cars. Gooding too manages to get some great cars. recently a stunning collection of Otis Chandler (LA Times ) went under the hammer

My dad and I have always been Packard fans. But someday I will treat myself to an XK 120 or E type Love the sound of those Jag sixes and they look a million dollars !

Will pass your message onto any prewar Jag owner as regards the registration
Old 22nd August 2009, 15:49   #80
Senior - BHPian

This Jaguar used to be in B'lore a long time ago,
does anyone know where it is now?
If so please PM me,
cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Prewar Jaguars in India-jaguar-1.5-white.jpg  

Old 22nd August 2009, 16:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post

Collector Ramesh Thakker in Pune had this white Mark V drophead, sold a few years back. It seems to have a WBB regn., West Bengal. I could be wrong.

Yes it is a drop head and the reg number is WBB 3030.This car used belong to my father and was sold in the 1990s.Does anyone know where this car is now?
Old 23rd August 2009, 13:15   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Fellow BHPian Kasli shares this photo of one of the Gondal XK 150s at a rally in Bombay, 1992. I think this car presently is in metallic maroon, and bore registration GONDAL 50 at the Cartier event. The other Gondal XK 150 is GCI 9199, featured in BSM, and is blood red. Correct me if Im wrong.

Prewar Jaguars in India-xk.jpg
Old 23rd August 2009, 16:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

Ss

Karlosdeville,

There are two/3 Jaguars in Gujrat also Xk 140-2/150-2 and also one Mark 5. And one more Mark 4 in bombay not listed.

Regards
Aniruddh

Quote:
In that case here are a few more assorted cars. Forgive my lack of details, Im posting what little I know of them. Pics courtesy xotiacrs and team BHP

These 2 belonged to xoticars on the forum, though I think only one remains.

Attachment 15603
Attachment 15604

This one in a surprisingly similar scheme belongs to vintageman, also on the forum.

Attachment 15606
Attachment 15605

This white car is a regular at Calcutta events, and the black car was spotted at a Madras event.

Attachment 15607
Attachment 15608

I shot this beauty at the 2006 rally in Bombay.

Attachment 15614
Attachment 15615

This car was owned by a friend a few years back in Pune. It was originally from Calcutta I think.

Attachment 15616

This car has been in long term ownership with a doctor in Nagpur

Attachment 15617
Attachment 15618

This black car is also in Madras, I suspect it is different to the black car earlier posted.

Attachment 15619
Attachment 15620

These 2 pics were supplied by xoticars, perhaps he knows more about them. UPC 7953 appears to be a newspaper clipping about a rally.

Attachment 15621
Attachment 15622
Old 24th September 2009, 11:06   #84
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

what a purposeful looking beauty the Jag SS100 was.
I wish I could get hold of a scale model somewhere sometime soon!

Quote:
A 1937 brochure showing both cars side by side for comparison.
Old 8th November 2009, 07:25   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This car was owned by a friend a few years back in Pune. It was originally from Calcutta I think.
MPB2922 posted by Karl was featured by BS Motoring in the new XF road test.
Old 31st December 2009, 11:30   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

An interesting early Jaguar customised roadster can be seen on page 1 here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ollection.html

Prewar Jaguars in India-01.jpg
Prewar Jaguars in India-02.jpg
Old 31st December 2009, 12:06   #87
Senior - BHPian

This car started life as a 2.5 litre SS Jaguar Sedan.

It was later converted to this current specs by Saloo Chowdhury from calcutta.

Its pronbably from Bihar going by the regestration.

It has a rather neat exposed exhaust system on the right side of teh car. i couldn't kae pictures of it as it was too close to the wall.

It was know to burn you pant cuffs.

The car unfortunately has been in storage for too long and the head, which is aluminium sitting on the cast iron block, has corroded bady internally and the car always suffered overheating issues.

The last official outing for this car and for that matter others from thsi collection was the second vintage car rally done by the Krishna Oberoi Hotel. It mamaged to arrive from Saidabad on its own steam but sadly overheated on the run and was towed back.

The design and construction of the current body is very quirky.

There are metal and fiber panels involved and overall the car is very long for a roadster. The bonnet is an "allegator" style also check the headlight mounts !

It is definitely one of the better "period Indian custom" job that I have ever seen.

I would lover to learn more on it and the story of its construction.
Old 11th May 2010, 12:18   #88
Team-BHP Support

Some pics of a prewar Jag in India can be seen here -

Jaguar World Monthly Forum - 1938 SS Jaguar 1.5L Sports Saloon
Old 19th June 2010, 05:05   #89

Lovely surprise to stumble across pics of my car (BMX6775) on this forum. Thanks Karlosdeville! The car is still owned by the Trivedi family and is in Australia now.
Old 19th June 2010, 10:15   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito View Post
Lovely surprise to stumble across pics of my car (BMX6775) on this forum. Thanks Karlosdeville! The car is still owned by the Trivedi family and is in Australia now.
Welcome aboard Tito. Thanks to Harit (also Trivedi!) who supplied the picture.

Heartening to know the car survives with the family. Do share some more recent pictures if possible.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks