Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2008, 20:01   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here is a Morris 8 just bought from Nagpur by my friend Mr. Rashid Mody.

I believe its a one-family owned car from new. Its quite original except for some parts like the speedo & ampere meter, rearview mirror and some of the dash switches- btw, is that a lambretta ignition-kill switch (circled) on the dash?? If so I'd like to have it!

Upholstery seems all rexine under the "army" cloth covers.

He was in the process of starting it up when I took the pics. yesterday.

'seems t have even the original toolkit intact! The spare tyre he said, was left behind as the previous owner had forgotten to send it along!
Nice car, very restorable. Of course, it may be difficult to source the speedo. The trafficator switch in the horn boss is there and thank God the original oval headlight glass is there ! Does the car have the original semaphore trafficators? I thought that Lambretta engine kill switches were round, this one seems to be a square one.
Old 11th August 2008, 20:51   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanher View Post
Here is a Morris 8 just bought from Nagpur by my friend Mr. Rashid Mody.

I believe its a one-family owned car from new. Its quite original except for some parts like the speedo & ampere meter, rearview mirror and some of the dash switches- btw, is that a lambretta ignition-kill switch (circled) on the dash?? If so I'd like to have it!

Upholstery seems all rexine under the "army" cloth covers.

He was in the process of starting it up when I took the pics. yesterday.

'seems t have even the original toolkit intact! The spare tyre he said, was left behind as the previous owner had forgotten to send it along!
Great News Stanher.Even the tools are original.The speedo and some switches should get replaced one after the other with original ones sooner or later. I had seen this car many times in rallies at Nagpur and have many pictures of this car. Is it in running condition? What price did your friend have to pay?
Old 11th August 2008, 21:57   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Great News Stanher.Even the tools are original.The speedo and some switches should get replaced one after the other with original ones sooner or later. I had seen this car many times in rallies at Nagpur and have many pictures of this car. Is it in running condition? What price did your friend have to pay?
Yes it certainly is running. Although he wasnt able to start it again after driving it home. Battery was run out he said.
All things well he should be able to bring it for the 15th. Btw, he said the ex-owner also has an equally nice '62 Green and white Herald, which was once sold and bought back later. 'turns out he wasnt keen on parting with it though!

@vintagepoint05- Mody doesnt have any other vintage cars- this is the only (and first since Ive known him) one he's got.
He's more into bikes/2-wheelers, got loads of them.

@dussey- sorry I didnt check the trafficators. It may have them, failing which it wouldve been fitted with some common modern side-indicators, which I didnt see on it.

Last edited by Stanher : 11th August 2008 at 22:00.
Old 22nd August 2008, 20:19   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

A forlorn looking Morris 8, not of interest to some collectors, at the same time of much interest to other collectors

Quote:
Attached is a pic of a Morris 8. This was given sometime in the 1990's. On the back of the picture it says"Owner does not want to sell". I have no clue where this was. The basis was good, even the headlight glasses are intact.
On the left you will see a Fiat. It was not noteworthy, not worthy to be noted. If you had bought both these cars at the same time, then you would have seen that appreciation for the Morris would have been better. But even this Morris was not noteworthy. Owner should have parted with it. Such sights were quite possible till around 1995, today you cannot even see old ordinary Indian cars standing on the road. One reason ofcourse is that you do get money for scrap metal. He he!
That was a dig at you. I do appreciate the passion for Heralds, Standards, Old Amby's+Landmaster and Fiats. And these were the Indian cars vehicles for an era gone past. Now even they are fading away and you have to hunt for parts. The only reason for commenting is that they really do not appreciate much, it would be better to put limited (where applicable) resources to upper end cars as appreciation is higher. Forget about the Chevy's 5 years ago, today I would buy a fintail Merc and watch it appreciate more than these cars. Fintails with round headlights can be bought reasonably cheap, the S class has already gone through the roof.
By the way, till April this year I used an Amby on a daily basis, same car since 1978 and put it aside because it was literally falling appart. But she will be fixed and should run by the end of the year. Madness, I admit.
I must explain here that Harit keeps telling me to move on to bigger and better things than what I have, I keep telling him otherwise.
Attached Thumbnails
Morris 8-02.jpg  

Old 26th August 2008, 21:23   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

My grandmother was visiting Hyderabad in the 90s and took this photo for me. Does anyone recognise it?
Attached Thumbnails
Morris 8-scan0002.jpg  

Old 26th August 2008, 22:48   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdeville View Post
My grandmother was visiting Hyderabad in the 90s and took this photo for me. Does anyone recognise it?
Difficult to tell with one of the easiwheels missing!
Old 26th August 2008, 22:52   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prabal View Post
Difficult to tell with one of the easiwheels missing!
I dont think it's missing, I think it is just painted black. Perhaps Im wrong.
Old 26th August 2008, 23:09   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

'dont recall seeing the car but I THINK Ive seen that owner(?) somewhere maybe in one of our rallies. But again perhaps I'm wrong!
Old 27th August 2008, 18:41   #39
BHPian

Interesting to see this picture, now this Morris 8 belongs to me, it was sold to me through my mechanic 2 years back. It was in my garage and I wanted to restore it completely as soon as possible, looking for damaged front grille and the car looks better in picture, but when I got this car, it was damaged more. It has got all the original parts in place, it needs small body rust patches to close and good paint, engine tune up, since it
was not in use for years. Another problem is to find the original tyres for this size it is not easy.

I wish to restore it to original condition and bring in rally asap.
Old 27th August 2008, 19:14   #40
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagepoint5 View Post
Interesting to see this picture, now this Morris 8 belongs to me, it was sold to me through my mechanic 2 years back.
You know, I thought many times it could be your vehicle, then I thought that would be too much of a co incidence. Team BHP is making the world a small place indeed.
Old 27th August 2008, 20:18   #41
BHPian

Thanks a lot Karl, for discovering this old picture. You are really gem to
bring wealth of information. I wanted to restore first and then published its picture, since last 2 yrs, during my vacations of a month I tried my best to work on it restoration, but unable to do, since the mechanics, painters, denters takes lot of time. Actually I was looking for Hindustan 48, on which I learned driving during my childhood and it was sold. So I tried hard to get one now, but I don't know when I can. I told my friends & mechanic to look for Hindustan-48, the mechanic lied me and got this car.
Old 29th August 2008, 11:35   #42
BHPian

Morris 8 Spares

Hey vintagepoint5, u probably already know this but the morris 8 shares lots of its parts with the sidevalve morris minors. From what ive read, morris didn't have the funds to produce a new engine so the carried over most of the parts from the morris 8. The engine, gearbox, distibutor, carb and a lot of the switchgear are common on both so if you have problems with morris 8 spares you can just use parts from the minor. hope this helps with your restoration work. Upload some pictures of ur car when its done!!
Old 30th August 2008, 15:43   #43
BHPian

Thanks MSP9994, my Morris 8, front grille is damaged, welded roughly, painted white over everything by previous owner. I had to repair this grille, get nickle chromimum done or find another grille from old parts, last year I checked in Hyd old car parts market, it was not available. Also looking for 4 tyres for this model Morris 8 E series 1948, last year it was not available in Hyd. Can you check if it is available in Madras, please let me know. Other parts like engine, gearbox all original parts were in the car, only it needs to cleaned and service and put it back. Will sure post
its picture while I am restoring.

Thanks & regards,
Old 31st August 2008, 18:03   #44
BHPian

Dear Vintage point,
I have just completed restoration of my 1951 Morris Minor. MSP 9994, I remember is a low light convertible. The front grille , trims are same as my minor. Bad news-nothing is available in Chennai, Bangalore, Calcutta or Bombay.You have to get them made. Tyres are 5.20x14;same size as Fiat 1100.
Old 31st August 2008, 23:49   #45
Senior - BHPian

here is the most precious car of my life. my grandpa's 1948 SERIES E MORRIS 8.though my grandpa bought it 2nd hand, it ran like a beast. unfortuantely it was sold before i could realise anything. here's the car wit my dad & my grandpa.
Attached Thumbnails
Morris 8-morris-8.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks