Team-BHP > Vintage Cars & Classics in India > Pre-War
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2008, 17:38   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

The Model T Ford is geting 100 years old!

The year 2008 commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Model T Ford's launch. Henry Ford"s car changed the world forever. In 1908, for $825, a Model T customer could buy a reliable automobile that was fairly easy to drive. Ford sold over ten thousand Model T cars in the first year of production, a new record for any automobile model. No one really knows if Henry Ford ever said that the buying public could have Model T Fords "in any color, so long as it's black", but it is commonly attributed to him. While this saying is true for the model years after 1913, earlier cars were available in green, red, blue and grey. In fact, in the first year, Model T Fords were not available in black at all. The switch to all black cars was likely due to Ford's optimization of the assembly line and to reduce the time lost waiting for the various paints to dry. In 1926 colors other than black were once again offered, in an attempt to boost sales.By the time the last Model T was built in 1927, the company was producing an automobile every 24 seconds.Ford built more than 15 million Model T cars. Without a doubt, Henry Ford transformed the economic and social fabric of the 20th century. The centenary celebrations next year come at a time when Ford is reeling with surmounting financial losses and challenges from competitors to its position in the world market!

A Discussion on Model T Fords in India-t.jpg

Source: Ford Model T FAQs

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Do make sure that you provide the references/original source for every piece of material that has been taken from another website/publication, to give credit to the original author.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th August 2008 at 18:50. Reason: See note in post
Old 10th August 2008, 17:42   #17
Senior - BHPian

A slight upgrade of the "T-buggy" would drive Tata's nano right out of the market even today. Tough, cheap, plenty of ground clearance....did not come with rain sensitve windscreen, however.

Note, front end able to withstand a 7kph crash with no damage.

Last edited by DirtyDan : 10th August 2008 at 17:48.
Old 11th August 2008, 11:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Karl Parvez Vora's car APU 1009 was Restored by us and the last picture of the unrestored car with the kinetic in the forefront is the same car. that is taken in my Garage, man i wonder how did it hit the net.
Old 12th August 2008, 15:46   #19
BHPian

Historyman

After over 300 hours of research I’ve finally produced “A History of the Model T Ford”.

It can now be seen on my car history web site: Car History 4U - History of the Automobile, History of the Motor Car, Car Clubs & Car Museums

I only launched the site in August 2007 and it has already had 1.1 million hits from over 60,000 visitors in 74 countries.

If you enter History of the Motor Car into the Google or Yahoo search engines my site usually comes up in the number 1 position.

If you have any comments, corrections or additions please let me know. Unlike a book I can easily make changes.

My sincere thanks to those who provided such excellent information/photos.
Old 12th August 2008, 23:10   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyman View Post
After over 300 hours of research I’ve finally produced “A History of the Model T Ford”.

It can now be seen on my car history web site: Car History 4U - History of the Automobile, History of the Motor Car, Car Clubs & Car Museums

I only launched the site in August 2007 and it has already had 1.1 million hits from over 60,000 visitors in 74 countries.

If you enter History of the Motor Car into the Google or Yahoo search engines my site usually comes up in the number 1 position.

If you have any comments, corrections or additions please let me know. Unlike a book I can easily make changes.

My sincere thanks to those who provided such excellent information/photos.
Great work historyman. i'll view your website soon and then offer my comments.
Old 13th August 2008, 01:02   #21
BHPian

I don't see Team-BHP in the list of automotive forums in your website.
Old 18th August 2008, 16:03   #22
BHPian

Anjan,

I'm really pleased you liked my Model T Ford write up. I await your comments with much interest.

Ford did indeed build more than 15 million Model Ts but not all of them were cars. In the US approximately 11% were trucks. In Canada (where the Indian Model Ts came from) and the UK the percentage of trucks and other such vehicles (ambulances, etc) was even higher, possibly 14%.

Superleggera,

Thanks for pointing out that I had not included the Team-BHP in my list of automotive forums. It was supposed to be. I'll check with the web master to find out what went wrong and get it added as a matter of urgency. Researching the History of the Model T these past three months has almost totally dominated my time!

Last edited by Technocrat : 18th August 2008 at 16:58.
Old 6th November 2009, 01:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

There was one car lying in our place along with some more of our cars it was scrapped in 2003.
Old 6th November 2009, 06:06   #24
BHPian

1924 Family Model "T"

Here's some photos of my Grandfathers 1924 "T" taken in Winnipeg Manitoba. the second photo shows an engine cover to keep it warm in the COLD winters.

The other photos are of the 1915 October issue of the Ford Times. I would consider scanning the complete book if you think it would be of use. I also have a number of other Catalogues from this period.

I grew up about 10 miles from Windsor Ontario and as a teenager we preferred the Model A of which I have had a few, and while I have grown appreciative of the T and it's impact on the world, I would still take the A hands down.
Attached Thumbnails
A Discussion on Model T Fords in India-170-roseswell050.jpg  

A Discussion on Model T Fords in India-170-roseswell049.jpg  

A Discussion on Model T Fords in India-1915-ford-cat042.jpg  

A Discussion on Model T Fords in India-1915-ford-cat043.jpg  

john a milne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2009, 06:16   #25
BHPian

1915 Ford Times

Here are larger photos.
Attached Thumbnails
A Discussion on Model T Fords in India-1915-ford-cat042.jpg  

A Discussion on Model T Fords in India-1915-ford-cat043.jpg  

Old 19th November 2009, 22:46   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Great work historyman. i'll view your website soon and then offer my comments.
Sorry historyman for the long delay in offering my comments on your website. SPLENDID is one word to describe it. Its a great job done and so much of information is available under one roof.
I have also provided this link on the autocarindia forum for all interested:
Autocar India Forum: Misc Interesting Websites
There's one more website in India HVOCT. This is that of Heritage Vehicle Owners Club of Thane (Maharashtra, India) where members have quite a good collection of classic and vintage cars and two wheelers. I am a member of this club incidentally. It can be added to the Motor Car/ Automobile Clubs and Associations section.
And lastly www.autocarindia.com is also a lovely and my very favourite website that can be added to your list of Car Forums please. This website is already featured in your Car Magazines and Books section.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th November 2009 at 22:56.
Old 25th November 2009, 17:17   #27
BHPian

Historyman

Anjan I’m really pleased you liked my carhistory4u.com web site. I will add links to the Heritage Vehicle Owners Club of Thane and to the Autocarindia.com forum as you suggest when I carry out the next update.
Old 7th February 2010, 14:54   #28
Senior - BHPian

A ModelT rom exotiars pic cllection, wonder what became of it ?
Attached Thumbnails
A Discussion on Model T Fords in India-12538534_e6699e.jpg  

Old 8th February 2010, 14:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasif View Post
A ModelT from exotiars pic collection, wonder what became of it ?
This is APU in Mumbai, now fully restored and working.

Cheers harit
Old 8th February 2010, 14:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harit View Post
This is APU in Mumbai, now fully restored and working.

Cheers harit
Is it possible for some further info and pictures.

APU ? is it from Andhra ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks